Everyone go watch Black Mirror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone go watch Black Mirror

(Or don't, but holy shit, I've been obsessed with this show since it started and I just watched the first episode of the new season on Netflix and HOLY SHIT.)

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

I found it too pretentious,I mean we are, like know technology can be super harmful. But the world's isn't so bad. It's hard for me to take such an anti technology show seriously when the show in on bloody netflix

Comment

Hayley,I just realized I was rude to you now. My mistake,im sorry.

Comment

No, no worries! Sorry I haven't responded, I'm on the phone with my mom. Typing up a response now.

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
          I found it too pretentious,I mean we are, like know technology can be super harmful. But the world's isn't so bad. It's hard for me to take such an anti technology show seriously when the show in on bloody netflix
          So, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think calling the show anti-technology is disingenuous. The Twilight Zone wasn't about "society is bad, lock yourself at home and don't talk to anyone". It used dysfunctional societies to make its points. I don't think Black Mirror is anti-technology, I think it takes technology as a jumping-off point, but all of its stories are about people. The villain is not the technology.

Do you know if there's a way to mark something as a spoiler? If so, I have some examples I want to use to elaborate, but I don't want to risk spoiling anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

So, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think calling the show anti-technology is disingenuous. The Twilight Zone wasn't about "society is bad, lock yourself at home and don't talk to anyone". It used dysfunctional societies to make its points. I don't think Black Mirror is anti-technology, I think it takes technology as a jumping-off point, but all of its stories are about people. The villain is not the technology.

Do you know if there's a way to mark something as a spoiler? If so, I have some examples I want to use to elaborate, but I don't want to risk spoiling anyone.
            Oh man,I don't think so . You could paint spoilerish discussion on a different color so people know when to look away

Comment

You could also hit me up on facebook,i'm curious to hear your point

Comment

Sorry, I watched the new video game episode. I have to head to campus now, so I'll have to type more out later, but my main argument is exactly as I said--Black Mirror is not anti-technology, and technology is not the villain. It uses technology as a jumping-off point for its satire and horror.

Comment

(Also, that video game episode was so fucked. In a good way. My third favorite episode. It did Inception and eXistenZ better than Inception or eXistenZ, highly recommend.)

Comment

(spoiler)Like this, but with brackets instead of parentheses(/spoiler)
                    Last edited by Charlaquin; 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Sorry about the delay! I got and still am seriously busy. But this link is kind of about what we were discussing:

" ‘Black Mirror’ Intends To ‘Actively Unsettle’ Audiences, But It’s Not Technology That You Should Fear"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6508790.html
                      Last edited by hm8453a; 10-25-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I tried, but the first episode just threw me off. It started an argument between me and my wife about if having sex with the pig was worth it or not, and in general didn't feel like a dystopian at all, just unrealistic hostage negotiation. It did not seem futuristic and had no "twist" I had been looking forward to as part of the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Comrades View Post
                          I tried, but the first episode just threw me off. It started an argument between me and my wife about if having sex with the pig was worth it or not, and in general didn't feel like a dystopian at all, just unrealistic hostage negotiation. It did not seem futuristic and had no "twist" I had been looking forward to as part of the genre.
                          That was a weird episode to start with. Most of the show is about technology and theoretical effects on people, in a Twilight Zone-ish fashion. That was more about typically modern, if out there situation regarding social pressure and responsibility and pride. I think just about every episode would offer the same sort of conflict, but be more 'far out.'

I am curious, who was on which side of the argument?
                          Last edited by nofather; 10-25-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

That was a weird episode to start with. Most of the show is about technology and theoretical effects on people, in a Twilight Zone-ish fashion. That was more about typically modern, if out there situation regarding social pressure and responsibility and pride. I think just about every episode would offer the same sort of conflict, but be more 'far out.'
                            Agreed. The first episode was about the public tuning in for the lurid exhibitionism and punishment of watching a politician being raped and forced to commit a rape. That's hyper-realistic to me, as a survivor. "The National Anthem" is one of my favorite episodes, it still haunts me years later.

Comment

Agreed. The first episode was about the public tuning in for the lurid exhibitionism and punishment of watching a politician being raped and forced to commit a rape. That's hyper-realistic to me, as a survivor. "The National Anthem" is one of my favorite episodes, it still haunts me years later.
                              I might be misremembering. But I thought it was sort of unrealistic that almost none one showed any sympathy or even said "I'mmm so sorry" to him. I feel like if such a thing would happen bin the real world everybody would feel sorry for the man
                              And only like 7 people would laugh at him . It feels like Black Mirror is trying to tell me "hey Nicky! do you see those people intently watching the guy sufferinggg? That's how people really are. that's the world you live him" And I just don't think that's the truth. I tend to believe there more kindness in this world than that

Comment

Working...
                              X