Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there a SSL connection available for this site?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't there a SSL connection available for this site?

I just found the "Data Breach" topic. Shouldn't that have been a banner or something to get people informed?

In any case, I don't know what provider hosts this forum and the theonyxpath.com website (possibly the same that registers the domain), but we live in 2021 and letsencrypt.org is issuing free encryption for website traffic since 2016.
    If letsencrypt.org is not working with the company that registers the "theonyxpath.com" domain name, well, then you can use their offer for SSL certificates. A multi-domain certificate is $16,56 a year (and they are on sale right now). The security of the users should be worth at least that. Or make it a stretch goal for the next crowdfunding. Personally, a register that is named "namecheap.com" sounds a bit suspicious to me.

It really would show some responsibility to provide a minimum of security for the users.

Also, why hasn't - for years - someone fixed the language files of the forum, to get rid of the "navbar_onyx_path" placeholder in the top left corner.
    I mean, this forum is running version 5.1.9 of vbulletin, that's approximately 5 years old, with the current version being 5.6.4.....

EDIT: Oops, the SSL certificate price is €. Still worth it...
    Last edited by heinrich; 05-06-2021, 05:46 PM.

We tried. It broke the forums further to the point of complete unusability. So I reverted the change. It's not optimal but I've been trying to steer people away from our broken forums for years now.

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
    Also, why hasn't - for years - someone fixed the language files of the forum, to get rid of the "navbar_onyx_path" placeholder in the top left corner.
    We did change it. It kept reverting. So we stopped changing it because it's an extremely minor issue and I don't want to waste my time on it.

I mean, this forum is running version 5.1.9 of vbulletin, that's approximately 5 years old, with the current version being 5.6.4.....
    As I say again and again, these forums are broken. They're largely functional on a day-to-day basis so we let it keep going.

When we attempt forum upgrades, the process fails. Because the forums are broken.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager
    Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Doesn't vBulletin offer support for such cases?

Even if the forum is corrupt or the database it uses, the encryption is (as I understand it) solely something for the web server to handle.
      If you want to try again, I could lend a pair of additional eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
        We tried. It broke the forums further to the point of complete unusability. So I reverted the change. It's not optimal but I've been trying to steer people away from our broken forums for years now.
        Where to?

As long as they are functioning and available nobody will leave.

Still, my offer stands to help, if you want to try to implement SSL on the web server. That should be possible without changes to the software running the forum.

Comment

Working...
        X