No announcement yet.

Is Pugmire a "funny" game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry. Sometimes I take rejection personally. Thanks, Charlaquin. You've been very sweet, and I really appreciate it.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

Out of character, it would be difficult to take the game seriously. Humanity is either A) extinct, or B) off in space somewhere colonizing other planets. Meanwhile, the animals they left behind were artificially evolved to be comparable to medieval man in terms of culture and intelligence. Now they regard the technology mankind left behind (which has fallen to ruin) as magical or divine in some fashion (iPads being akin to golden tablets). Humans have been placed on the pedestal of godhood, with dogs building an entire religion around the concept of being a good dog in accordance to what humans expected from their beloved pets before they all vanished.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 12-22-2016, 09:23 PM.

Comment

The game seems to take itself seriously, while dropping humorous references left and right. Imagine the kind of straight faced delivery of humor you might find on... Buffy: the Vampire Slayer. When you first start playing, it is hard to not laugh while people are making the usual animal jokes, and mistaking the local grocery store for a place of holy pilgrimage. But once you move beyond this initial phase, it is easy to tell rich and involved stories about the world of Pugmire. The setting is fertile ground for countless awesome ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Iry View Post
          The game seems to take itself seriously, while dropping humorous references left and right. Imagine the kind of straight faced delivery of humor you might find on... Buffy: the Vampire Slayer. When you first start playing, it is hard to not laugh while people are making the usual animal jokes, and mistaking the local grocery store for a place of holy pilgrimage. But once you move beyond this initial phase, it is easy to tell rich and involved stories about the world of Pugmire. The setting is fertile ground for countless awesome ideas.

This is exactly my intent, and my experience. The world leaves plenty of room for humor at the table, but has also prompted very emotional and dramatic stories as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

This is a JulianMoon thing. They are trying to create a unified multiverse connecting all of the IPs Onyx Path has worked on, whether or not they were written to be connected.

I appreciate the clarification, and JulianMoon did clarify to me in private. However, it's important that I clarify the distinction in public.

Comment

Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
              This is exactly my intent, and my experience. The world leaves plenty of room for humor at the table, but has also prompted very emotional and dramatic stories as well.
              Ironically, the most difficult thing my group has encountered in Pugmire is handling sexuality.

Most of my players have a background in World of Darkness (especially Vampire). So the stories we tell often have a certain amount of adult humor and content, including flirtation and fading to black when appropriate. However, attempting to do the same thing in Pugmire has resulted in lots of awkward stares, stuttering, and schadenfreude. The storyteller even came to a dead stop when attempting to describe an attractive feline waiter. He couldn't do it!

Just a funny story.

Comment

of course not! Nations of Dogs and cats, are a TOTALLY serious subject matter!!!

Comment

Just happy Eddy decided to make cats playable and make mixed parties an option. I love the intent of Pugmire (being a family game that could be turned into a straight horror game if you wanted) it's awesome when you can get a RPG you can play with your children without altering things. Besides I'm a cat lover so this allows me to get a game that I think is pretty cool that I otherwise would never even look at (Pugmire).

​He really should consider doing the same for rabbits and mice/rats like Watership Down and Rats of Nimh. Make a faction of good rats and you can add that to Monarchies of Mau to really up the fun factor. Just an opinion.
                  Last edited by Kumiko; 05-23-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kumiko View Post
                    Just happy Eddy decided to make cats playable and make mixed parties an option. I love the intent of Pugmire (being a family game that could be turned into a straight horror game if you wanted) it's awesome when you can get a RPG you can play with your children without altering things. Besides I'm a cat lover so this allows me to get a game that I think is pretty cool that I otherwise would never even look at (Pugmire).

​He really should consider doing the same for rabbits and mice/rats like Watership Down and Rats of Nimh. Make a faction of good rats and you can add that to Monarchies of Mau to really up the fun factor. Just an opinion.
                    Mm. Looking at the rats' Monarchies writeup, it's more what they need is having rat society fleshed out, getting a better idea of how non-antagonist rats live - understandably, Monarchies focuses on the rats that clash with the cats, the criminals and cultists.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I have ideas for rats and mice as their own focus, but that's down the road. Right now, need to focus on the cats.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X