Is Pugmire a "funny" game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post

So it's a D20 game. I was wondering what system it uses.
    It's a simplified 5e system. Very easy to pick up.

Comment

If you want to get a taste of the system, check out our recently-released jumpstart! Just a couple of bucks to see what all the fuss is about. http://drivethrurpg.com/product/2323...iliate_id=4451

Comment

The writing and setting of Pugmire very much calls to my mind the legendary Terry Pratchett. The concept is very silly, the meta writing is aware it's very silly, but it's all a very silly that is handled and delivered with absolute sincerity and seriousness. A lot of the fun I have had in prepping my first game (that starts in 10 hours!) has been helping the players feel the gravity of the world. They've made some amazing concepts that are both taking the setting completely seriously, but are still hilarious as a player. Striking that balance has led to even more enjoyment than just taking it as strictly a joke.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

It is a serious game, it's just not a "dark and gritty" game like most other Onyx Path IPs. Pugmire is a real game, light-heartened but no less valid.

Comment

Pugmire has to be looked at in terms of its themes to answer that question. It's a game about loyalty, discovery, trust, and betrayal. It's about fighting demons who have possessed your mentors and loved ones. It's about loss and having to go on in spite of it. It's about finding your way when the gods go silent. So, yeah, it's about dog-headed adventurers and silly puns, but it's about those other things too. Is it funny? It has a few silly elements, but Pugmire isn't a joke. If anything, it's a parable.

I wrote about it more extensively here:

http://ragroad.blogspot.com/2018/01/...n-pugmire.html

Comment

Working...
            X