Pugmire: Daggers vs Darts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pugmire: Daggers vs Darts

Looking at the errata post there was a discussion about daggers and darts and how the two are basically the same thing with the dagger being a little better of the two.

Dagger: Simple Melee, Finesse, Light, Thrown 20/60, 1d4 piercing

Dart: Simple Ranged, Finesse, Thrown 20/60, 1d4 piercing

I'm thinking I might add an extra piece of Equipment called an Atlatl. An Atlatl is an early hunting tool used around the world to throw darts and javelins harder and further than normal before the invention of the bow.

An Atlatl in design is a specially carved length of wood/ivory/material about 1 ft long and 2 inches wide. You place your dart on the length of the Atlatl and then use it to catapult the dart hard and far. They had less penetration and range than a good bow, but had the advantage of being a one-handed weapon.

So this is how I would stat it:

Melee, Atlatl: Same stats as a light club if used as a melee weapon. But if used as a ranged weapon to throw a dart it would take on these stats.

Ranged Atlatl: Simple Ranged, Ammunition, Finesse, Thrown 50/250, 1d4 piercing

That way it is better than a throwing dagger at range but doesn't replace the shortbow in damage.

Opinions?

Edit: Added Pugmire to title. Changed range, my original range was in yards and not feet. Has been updated to express the difference now.
    Last edited by Harp0; 03-02-2017, 07:59 PM.
Working...
X