Expanded Breed Families

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded Breed Families

After the better part of a whole day spent scouring and cross-referencing several encyclopedic books on dogs and searching the internet again and again when I was ill, I finally created an expansion of the Breed Families presented in Pugmire.

Each Breed now has 20 sample families and it was a hard task indeed, especially finding that blurry line between the dogs that constitute Fettles and Workers (many tough breeds are also very big and strong, typically Mastiffs and other molossers). The former are often mountain dogs and those breeds famed for endurance/tenacity, while the latter are a combination of dogs used for a large variety of jobs - often including cart-pulling and sled-pulling - and fighting breeds). The Runner breed was also an interesting one as the inclusion of the Shiba Inu (as Shibainu) in the official list, and the Dexterity bonus and inclusion of agility, indicate that it's not just about speed. Most are clearly sighthounds, but while the Shiba Inu is keen to chase prey it is not a particularly swift breed. It is, however, very agile and an excellent jumper and climber. That meant that a few other highly agile breeds known for climbing and jumping also entered the list such as the Catahoula, trio of Ridgebacks (Rhodesian, Thai, and Phu Quoc), and the Norwegian Lundehund (moved from the Fettle list because while it's a tough little dog, its flexibility, agility, and climbing skills are what are truly astounding about it).

I'll be posting it up on the Pugmire & Mau G+ Community and my blog tomorrow.

Working...
X