[Pugmire] Thoughts on and reactions to the Monarchies of Mau Early Access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pugmire] Thoughts on and reactions to the Monarchies of Mau Early Access

I admit, there is a part of me that wants this game to be based on V:tM's system or something, just because it's conducive to politics and skullduggery, but that would mean it wouldn't be compatible with Pugmire, which would be a big problem on several levels. That said, if you needed an idea for next years April Fools book, you may have that one.

I'm liking this so far.

I'm curious how Halo did that Ice Kick in the opening fiction, because that doesn't seem to be a standard Secret. Is she a Dabbler, did she Absorb it from a Relic, or do higher level Wanderers gain magical powers?

...right, because they have Houses, of course they're House Cats.

Do dogs ever call them Necromousers?

The feel of the book works pretty well to me. The "Confederation of Italian City States" fits a society of Cats pretty darn well.

I want to hear more about this Acid Sea. Has anyone ever made it across and come back? Is there an across?

Liked the book, looking forward to the full version.

Placeholder

Wasn't a Storyteller conversion one of the stretch goals for Pugmire?

Comment

Check out the Refinements for the Wanderer's Martial Arts secret for the ice kick.

There's a lot more about the Acid Sea in the final version of Pugmire, so I assume that same information or similar information will appear in the final version of Monarchies of Mau. If that helps any.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
        Wasn't a Storyteller conversion one of the stretch goals for Pugmire?

Storypath, as that's owned by Onyx Path and not by White Wolf. IIRC we didn't hit that particular goal.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Tim4488 View Post
          Check out the Refinements for the Wanderer's Martial Arts secret for the ice kick.

There's a lot more about the Acid Sea in the final version of Pugmire, so I assume that same information or similar information will appear in the final version of Monarchies of Mau. If that helps any.
          Ah, thanks. I missed that!

Placeholder

Comment

I have definitely liked everything that I've read so far. I would like to know more about the fallen city and the House that is not named( Simmiladon). As they lurk in the Shadow Bloc it might be fun for a group to form either to help or thwart them.

‚ÄčI actually think that a series of travel style articles would be really cool especially if written as a pair of Cat and Dog traveling together.

Comment

I think I might like this even more than I do Pugmire.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Storypath, as that's owned by Onyx Path and not by White Wolf. IIRC we didn't hit that particular goal.
                It wasn't actually a stretch goal. Rich/Rose/Eddie took a poll with three options and a different one won. I think it was Pan's guide that won.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

It wasn't actually a stretch goal. Rich/Rose/Eddie took a poll with three options and a different one won. I think it was Pan's guide that won.
                  It was an intended stretch goal for $210,000, checking the Pugmire KS page.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

It was an intended stretch goal for $210,000, checking the Pugmire KS page.
                    Weird. I remember it losing the poll. Don't recall it ever coming back...

Comment

I definitely want Badger, Rat, and Lizard follow up games now!

And maybe an "of the East" game that focuses on Racoon Dogs and Foxes playing the thematic Pugmire and Mau roles respectively but with a more interconnected society - with Tengu (corvids) and Kappa (turtles) as their local outsiders.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        I definitely want Badger, Rat, and Lizard follow up games now!

And maybe an "of the East" game that focuses on Racoon Dogs and Foxes playing the thematic Pugmire and Mau roles respectively but with a more interconnected society - with Tengu (corvids) and Kappa (turtles) as their local outsiders.
                        I kinda want a sourcebook that all about robots. Like, while Man was uplifting animals - as you do - they were also making androids with self-aware AI. And with Man gone, the androids are existing on the fringes of the world, hiding from the uplifts because they look too much like humans, and they don't want to freak the uplifts out or give them false hope. So they're just sitting in the shadows, maintaining enough knowledge of Man's tech to generate the electricity for their batteries, and to build replacement parts or new androids.

And they'd have a religious reverence for their Makers, but experience a schism between the androids that thought Man was going to return, and those that thought Man was dead and needed to rest in peace. So you'd have half the religious order maintaining temple-like manor houses, because the Makers might return any minute, and deserve no less than to have a bed and meal ready for when they get home. And the other half build hidden cenotaphs over mass human grave sites, because they believe that the Makers' sleep should not be disturbed.

(Granted, I may just be too into Nier: Automata, and human-looking androids break the setting's tone too much to be allowed. I don't know. I've thought way too much about this concept.)

Comment

In fine D&D tradition the Wanderer a.k.a. the Monk is MAD as hell. This particular version doesn't even know what stats it wants. In the Callings section it says it wants Strength and Constitution, in the Secrets section it claims to want Dexterity and Strength. Martial(Martian(pg. 42, first refinement for Martial Arts)) Arts make all melee attacks finesse, so it doesn't matter if you're going Dexterity or Strength, though providing the option to make everything Dex does make it seem like they're leaning toward Dex. Empowering Enlightenment keys off of Wisdom for uses per day. Unarmored Defense gives Dex + Con to Defense, and since Martial Arts doesn't allow even the Light Armor the Calling itself allows you're going to want to raise your Defense as high as you can. And really, those three are the only Secrets the Calling has that really play into Abilities.

Let's look at these, one gives more Dexterity options. One needs a higher Wisdom to be beneficial. Finally, one gives more power to Constitution. Why is Strength the only common thread in the confused primary stats sections? Why make Unarmored Defense a Constitution thing? Much of the theme seems to blend grace and mystic awareness, or Dexterity and Wisdom.

Is it just because Trackers already use Dexterity and Wisdom and we can't have two callings keying off of the same abilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            I kinda want a sourcebook that all about robots. Like, while Man was uplifting animals - as you do - they were also making androids with self-aware AI. And with Man gone, the androids are existing on the fringes of the world, hiding from the uplifts because they look too much like humans, and they don't want to freak the uplifts out or give them false hope. So they're just sitting in the shadows, maintaining enough knowledge of Man's tech to generate the electricity for their batteries, and to build replacement parts or new androids.

And they'd have a religious reverence for their Makers, but experience a schism between the androids that thought Man was going to return, and those that thought Man was dead and needed to rest in peace. So you'd have half the religious order maintaining temple-like manor houses, because the Makers might return any minute, and deserve no less than to have a bed and meal ready for when they get home. And the other half build hidden cenotaphs over mass human grave sites, because they believe that the Makers' sleep should not be disturbed.

(Granted, I may just be too into Nier: Automata, and human-looking androids break the setting's tone too much to be allowed. I don't know. I've thought way too much about this concept.)

I feel like I'd hit my Nier Itch with Mechatron. Its in the Mutant:Year Zero. Genelab Alpha Post apoc series of games..(Mutants, Genetically enhanced animals, ROBOTS...)

I feel like Robots/computers should be crazy ancient things. Perhaps even gods worshiped by heretics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I feel like I'd hit my Nier Itch with Mechatron. Its in the Mutant:Year Zero. Genelab Alpha Post apoc series of games..(Mutants, Genetically enhanced animals, ROBOTS...)

I feel like Robots/computers should be crazy ancient things. Perhaps even gods worshiped by heretics.
                              I'd prefer there be an upper limit to how ancient any machine would be. At least within the context of Pugmire, it's important to keep the true fall of Man to be mysterious. If anyone - even an AI - were ancient enough to have personally been around, it would automatically undermine the mysteriousness of the past.

Which doesn't mean a machine couldn't claim to be ancient and godly. Androids that look like humans basically have a built-in means of duping gullible uplifts into believing they are Man returned. Inevitably, there'd be false Man cults popping up every so often. Which, naturally, would lead not only to Dogs and other uplifts to seek to combat them, but also those androids who take their vows of secrecy seriously.

And then there's the faction of androids who believe they are the rightful heirs of Man, having been made in their image and endowed with the greater portion of their lost knowledge. Or those who believe that humans were wicked Demiurges, having created uplifts and androids for their own selfish gratification, while consigning their spawn to tortured existences.

I imagine the android race to be host to a complex selection of political factions. As I stated, I thought about this idea way more than I needed to.

Comment

Working...
                              X