Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Pugmire/Monarchies of Mau]Determining the Callings for Pre-Gen characters.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pugmire/Monarchies of Mau]Determining the Callings for Pre-Gen characters.

Looking to write up a handful of premade characters for a crossover One-Shot I'm brewing up. Thinking of writing up more characters than players so players can more or less choose cat vs dog freely. Ideally I'll have an equal amount of dog and cat characters statted up, and have the total amount of either species be one shy of my group which looks like it'll be 4 or 5(so 6 or 8 characters statted). Right now I'm thinking of offering at least both a Guardian and a Champion for there to be a warrior type for either species. One thing I'm not sure about, though, is whether I really need to have all 'roles' of a traditional group offered. Seems like there's less of a requirement to have all bases covered. Trying to figure out what will give me the best variety.

For a "traditional" adventuring party, I think a list like: Dog Guardian, Dog Artisan, Dog Shepherd, Dog Ratter, Cat Champion, Cat Mancer, Cat Minister, Cat Footpad would be a reasonable spread (basically leaves off the ranger-ish options, the barbarian and the monk). That said, I'm not sure the Minister is really that good of a healer compared to the Shepherd, so it might be interesting to include a Cat Wanderer or Tracker instead of a Minister.

Pugmire already has premades for all 6 of its Callings, not sure if you want to use those or not though.

Comment

The dogs have all the "classical" classes. Guardian to Fighter-Warlord, Artistan to Wizard, Cleric to Shepherd, Ratter to Rogue. That's your standard party right there, as well as the Hunter-Ranger and the Stray-Barbarian. While the cats also have rogue and Ranger equivalents.... their other callings are pretty much different. I'll get into that in a minute. First, I want to talk about how rogue and ranger equivalents differ between cats and dogs.

Footpads are objectively better than Ratters. I'm not joking - they have mostly the same abilities, but footpad's Trap Sense is superior version of Bypass. The Footpad's Precise Attack lets you get the bonus damage when alongside an ally as well as with advantage, while the Ratter's only offers it on advantage. The big difference is that Fetter's Burst of Energy trick works well with the Ratters Precise Attack and Second Wind tricks if you want a more hearty version of the archetype. Otherwise, cats rule. I think that the agile House versus agile Breed leans towards the cats. I suppose the Footpad could be a "fixed" version of the Ratter that will have the same when Pugmire officially releases, but for now, I recommend feline over canine by virtue of better mechanics. Access to Darkvision and Magic Aptitude is also a potential bonus, but that's going to be taking up Secret/Trick slots that could have gone to something else.

I don't see any difference between Hunters and Trackers beyond Breed Tricks versus House Secrets. Maybe toss a bit of magic on the cat Tracker for some druid magic if you want to. But in terms of abilities? I think they're on par. Heck. Even the Wisdom-based Houses and Breeds have the same ability, Keen Observer. The only major difference is Speedy Runner versus Perfect Balance at character creation. Again, cats have access to Darkvision and Magic Aptitude, but that's going to be taking up a Secret slot that could have gone to something else.

As for the rest?

The Minister is more of a bard / druid hybrid than the Shepherd's cleric equivalent. This creates a different feel of the two classes. Yes, the Shepherd is probably better healer, but healing is only a small part of both of these classes. Heck. Depending on the build, you can actually split the Minister into a Bard type and into a Druid type separately, with little overlap in abilities. Magic Aptitude lets you mix and match gish types as well. Either way, anyone who's played a bard or druid can tell you the playstyle differences between them and a cleric.

Guardians are more fighter-warlord types, while Champions are paladins. I'd focus on those differences to help highlight how the two are different if you want to do one of each.

And now, the Mancer. The mancer is meant to be a hybrid of fey warlock and necromancer. Artistans are your basic evoker types. The mancer has a focus on more illusions than the artistans on top of the necrotic damage things. Yes, Artistans get Dancing Lights and Ghost Sound basic spells. Mancers get disguise self, darkness, invisibility and mirror image on the other hand, much more useful for secrecy and intrigue. In terms of damage? Hellish Reb... I mean, unnatural rebuke and necrotic energy are a thing, versus picking your element of choice to damage. The spell selection is vastly different. Honestly? While I personally prefer the Mancer, its going to depend entirely on your plot. For a one-shot, I honestly think that Artisan is going to be more useful.

Monks and Barbarians. There's really no point in comparing them. They stand out on their own depending on what kind of game you want to play.

Personally, I'd focus on making a Wanderer, Artisan, Footpad, Guardian, Hunter, Minister, and Champion with Magic Aptitude (magic swordsman). This will give a wide variety of character types to pick from that are going to run a spread of archetypes to pick from, whatever picks your fancy.

Comment

MCN, are you looking at the most finalized version of Pugmire? I think a lot of the issue with Ratter that you mention got fixed in the final-final version (that is currently available).

Definitely agree with your reads on Minister, Champion, and Mancer. Magic Aptitude is a very cool way to distinguish cats, good point.

Comment

That might be it. I only have the early access, not the final pdf. So.

Ah, well, even if we assume that Ratter will be upgraded to the same abilities as Footpad, I still recommend going cat. I like the Perfect Balance better than the extra dog speed in this case, and I'm not really a fan of Second Wind. For a one shot, those really don't matter, I suppose, but I think the Secrets do stand out as better, imho, than dog Tricks for a rogue equivalent.
          Last edited by MCN; 05-29-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X