Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Playable Factions - Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Other Playable Factions - Homebrew

    Curious if anyone has attempted or played around with making callings & breeds for other animals like playable Badgers or Lizards or other animals. I see Pugmire has so much potential for that. I know eventually a Badger/Lizard supplement come out but until than homebrew will suffice.

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    I could imagine a criminal organization that consists of squirrels.

    Squirrels... nature's ninjas!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      I could imagine a criminal organization that consists of squirrels.

      Squirrels... nature's ninjas!
      Yes - exacltly this !

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, yes I have.

        Badgers conveniently had six speicies mentioned as part of their "race." Badger (honey!), otters, polecats, weasels, ferrets, and wolverines - that's enough to do their Breed / House equivalent right off the bat. For callings, I chose to steal Mancer, Stray, Guardian, Minister (but more stories and less plant magic) and Hunter/Trapper right off. Warlord, berserker type, a dark-magic user, storymaster and wilderness hunter all fit what I imagine the badger tribes to be. I don't think that the thief equivalents are appropriate here. Anyways, the badgers culture is one of following Man the Conquerer. What's that? Mankind appeared and conquered the world, and bent it to their will. All their left over ruins and masterworks are proof of that. The Badgers don't actually claim to be an uplifted animal. Rather, they claim to have taken their uplifting rather than being chosen, becoming who they are through their own efforts over that of another (most notably, these are the only uplifted species that is not domesticated by mankind out of the five main kinds). Anyways, Man the Conquerer, having fully claimed the world, either ran off to conquer another part of the universe, leaving rule behind to their vassal dogs, cats, and rats, or were conquered by another in turn. Its notable that their magic users, especially the Ministers and Mancers, get their abilities by conquering others. Especially one of the Unseen. Mancers get their magic by surviving a bout of the magical rabies.

        Mau and Pugmire have, instead of the usual D&D trope of Good v. Evil, Society versus the Self and Good versus Bad. For the Badgers, that is exploring violence in the context of their emerging society. While, on the one hand, violence against those undeserving is universally bad, its also a necessary evil to keep society's laws functioning. Without consequences, laws are meaningless. The Badger King is attempting to forge a new nation, and its all a question on how Red is going to do that with feral instincts barely touched by human "hands" Anarchy breeds tyranny, but which is the worst of the two? Violence creates a vicious cycle, but how do you forge a culture like that into a new one, especially with a culture that promotes conquering others?


        Rats are pretty fun, I think. Quite possibly the most advanced of all the uplifted species, or, at least they were before the fall of their society, now being relegated to the lower communities of others. Presumably by the Unseen. Rats are fun because they're the only uplifted race with a focus on alchemy and psionics and pseudo-science, even beyond the cult of LaboTor. The 100 Theories of Man suggest a complex code of faux enlightenment through "science" that could be torture or something else. In fact, I think that science could be code for any number of attempts at enlightenment by the rats. As such, we will see alchemists, thieves, two flavors of psions (empath/telepath versus telekinetic), and monks (akin to the cat's wanderer), as well as Athletic Warriors (Be All You Can Be Without Magic!). Rats will organize themselves around different Schools (or cults, take your pick), based on how they see the 100 Theories, or which theories they attempt to master first. A lot of what drives the rats will be survival first, followed by finding "shinies." The fewer rats that are gathered together, the less intellegent they are. The more, the smarter as a whole and as an indiviual they become. So, you'll have those rats who want to bring their kind together, so they'll be able to be themselves again. However, as a result, you don't see many rats willing to go out exploring. And yet, they need to if theyre going to understand Theorems and rebuild their lives.


        Lizards are... well, I brazenly stole the idea of dragonkin and lizard folk and snake people and shoved them all into the Lizard tribes. The Breeds are based on scale color; yes, I have red, blue, green, black, gold and white Lizards. The green, yes, do lean towards snake like behavior along with poisons and hypnosis ("trust in meeee!"). Red scales produce the powder that makes their skin resistant to heat you see on salamanders in reality. The "magic" of the lizard folk tend towards genetic maniplation and breeding more than it does on something like nanotechnology. As such, there is a lot of emphasis on loyalty to clan, and bloodlines.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MCN View Post
          Yes, yes I have.

          Badgers conveniently had six speicies mentioned as part of their "race." Badger (honey!), otters, polecats, weasels, ferrets, and wolverines - that's enough to do their Breed / House equivalent right off the bat. For callings, I chose to steal Mancer, Stray, Guardian, Minister (but more stories and less plant magic) and Hunter/Trapper right off. Warlord, berserker type, a dark-magic user, storymaster and wilderness hunter all fit what I imagine the badger tribes to be. I don't think that the thief equivalents are appropriate here. Anyways, the badgers culture is one of following Man the Conquerer. What's that? Mankind appeared and conquered the world, and bent it to their will. All their left over ruins and masterworks are proof of that. The Badgers don't actually claim to be an uplifted animal. Rather, they claim to have taken their uplifting rather than being chosen, becoming who they are through their own efforts over that of another (most notably, these are the only uplifted species that is not domesticated by mankind out of the five main kinds). Anyways, Man the Conquerer, having fully claimed the world, either ran off to conquer another part of the universe, leaving rule behind to their vassal dogs, cats, and rats, or were conquered by another in turn. Its notable that their magic users, especially the Ministers and Mancers, get their abilities by conquering others. Especially one of the Unseen. Mancers get their magic by surviving a bout of the magical rabies.

          Mau and Pugmire have, instead of the usual D&D trope of Good v. Evil, Society versus the Self and Good versus Bad. For the Badgers, that is exploring violence in the context of their emerging society. While, on the one hand, violence against those undeserving is universally bad, its also a necessary evil to keep society's laws functioning. Without consequences, laws are meaningless. The Badger King is attempting to forge a new nation, and its all a question on how Red is going to do that with feral instincts barely touched by human "hands" Anarchy breeds tyranny, but which is the worst of the two? Violence creates a vicious cycle, but how do you forge a culture like that into a new one, especially with a culture that promotes conquering others?


          Rats are pretty fun, I think. Quite possibly the most advanced of all the uplifted species, or, at least they were before the fall of their society, now being relegated to the lower communities of others. Presumably by the Unseen. Rats are fun because they're the only uplifted race with a focus on alchemy and psionics and pseudo-science, even beyond the cult of LaboTor. The 100 Theories of Man suggest a complex code of faux enlightenment through "science" that could be torture or something else. In fact, I think that science could be code for any number of attempts at enlightenment by the rats. As such, we will see alchemists, thieves, two flavors of psions (empath/telepath versus telekinetic), and monks (akin to the cat's wanderer), as well as Athletic Warriors (Be All You Can Be Without Magic!). Rats will organize themselves around different Schools (or cults, take your pick), based on how they see the 100 Theories, or which theories they attempt to master first. A lot of what drives the rats will be survival first, followed by finding "shinies." The fewer rats that are gathered together, the less intellegent they are. The more, the smarter as a whole and as an indiviual they become. So, you'll have those rats who want to bring their kind together, so they'll be able to be themselves again. However, as a result, you don't see many rats willing to go out exploring. And yet, they need to if theyre going to understand Theorems and rebuild their lives.


          Lizards are... well, I brazenly stole the idea of dragonkin and lizard folk and snake people and shoved them all into the Lizard tribes. The Breeds are based on scale color; yes, I have red, blue, green, black, gold and white Lizards. The green, yes, do lean towards snake like behavior along with poisons and hypnosis ("trust in meeee!"). Red scales produce the powder that makes their skin resistant to heat you see on salamanders in reality. The "magic" of the lizard folk tend towards genetic maniplation and breeding more than it does on something like nanotechnology. As such, there is a lot of emphasis on loyalty to clan, and bloodlines.

          Wow - you are a genius MCN. I will most likely use some of these ideas - really creative concept you've made. Have you made any homebrew factions like squirrels for example?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Volke View Post
            Have you made any homebrew factions like squirrels for example?
            I've got my eye on the birds, and working a bit on the Unseen, and the truth behind them. Delving into expanding necromancy a bit, including things like a lich, and translating other fantasy-esk creatures over.

            Centaurs and minotaurs pending and other farm animals pending.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MCN View Post
              I've got my eye on the birds, and working a bit on the Unseen, and the truth behind them. Delving into expanding necromancy a bit, including things like a lich, and translating other fantasy-esk creatures over.

              Centaurs and minotaurs pending and other farm animals pending.

              Keep me updated - I'd gratefully use anything you write up :P .

              I plan on creating my own factions too soon

              Comment


              • #8
                This is somewhat related to a question I was just about to ask on the boards so I'll post it here. Of the 'uplifted' species we've heard of, which would people like to see as the next group? I'd be interested to see any of them just because having their core book seems to humanize them in a way. In the Pugmire book there was a piece of fiction about a Cat necromantic cult and it seemed like this unholy fascination, but with Mau we see that while Cats indeed have necromancy it's not necessarily a Dark Art. Both Rats and Badgers(And really, all members of the Badgers that they've mentioned are what we would consider the 'weasel' family, why aren't they Weasels?) seem like they could really do with those humanizing factors. The Rats there are attempts in separating the White Rats and Rats in general, but even then they're supposedly drawn to crime. While the Badgers are all kind of these noble savages at best. Then we've got the nomadic Lizards that we seem to know next to nothing about. For whatever reason I keep seeing a near Arabian culture for them. I'd love to get a fully supported book for each species, but that's clearly a ways off at the least.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So the book mentions in regards to others -

                  The fish rule the waters, while the birds dominate the skies. The cats tell
                  stories about an entire race of rats they’re in constant conflict with. The world is wide
                  and can encompass many wonders, but the previously-mentioned races are the ones
                  with the most influence and power.

                  Makes me wonder of a faction of Fish like creatures that can survive on land for periods of time like eels or a faction of Birds like Pigeons, Hawk, etc.

                  Also was thinking in regards to the Code of Man - that an interesting homebrew would be Monkeys/Primates in a jungle setting, perhaps proclaiming they are the descendants of man or perhaps kin to them.

                  Probably more I'll think on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So in terms of other playable factions, this is what I've currently devised. So far I only have the concepts and breeds (won't be called breeds, each uplifted will have their own name for it) but I plan to work on callings sometime this week, and will update them accordingly. I hope some can get inspiration from these others.

                    Frogs
                    Explorers who have traveled beyond the Acid Sea tell of creatures with webbed hands and slimy skin. They call themselves Frogs and they hail from the southern tropical seas. They seem to live pure lives, building their homes and cities out of only the barest of natural resources.

                    Frogs tend to live in marsh-like swamp conditions, areas that consist of both land and water. They often settle in lands that have little disturbance and try to live off the natural world and all its beauty.

                    When questioned on their thoughts on the Old Ones, they suggest that the Old Ones were wiped out by a goddess called Mother Nature. She preaches to the Frogs that the Old Ones destroyed themselves as a result of their own relics and magic and that the Frogs must stray from this path, less they wish to destroy themselves as well. The Frogs take this belief and advocate lives connected with nature and shamanism.

                    Now this does not mean that the Frogs have no interests in relics, instead the Frogs believe they should either be used to create and support life and pure ideals. If they cannot do this, they are an object to be feared and it can be seen from Man's disappearance how deadly they are.

                    Breeds of Frogs

                    Fire-Bellies
                    True Toads
                    Tree Climbers
                    Bullfrogs
                    Squeakers
                    Poison Darts

                    Rabbits
                    Rabbits believe that the Old Ones are hiding from them, watching and waiting to devour them. They occasionally hear strange noises and find pawprints where there should be none. They perceive that the Old Ones whisper words of their downfall and they work with the Unseen to bring forth their downfall. This rabbit paranoia displays itself in curious, cautious, and jumpy characteristics.

                    Rabbits manage this fear by forcing themselves to face various trials and to focus on the traits of unity, order and strength. Rabbits believe that if they stand together, they can outnumber and outmaneuver the Old Ones. Rabbits are often xenophobic towards the other uplifted animals, possessing more than a healthy skepticism towards them believing them to be working against them or just foolish with dogs being the most ignorant. Many Rabbits feel if they can conquer their internal doubt and anxieties, they can face off against any challenges.

                    Breeds of Rabbits

                    Cottontails
                    Hares
                    Giant
                    Pikas
                    European
                    Pygmy

                    Ants
                    Beneath the hot arid deserts, a species that refer to itself as Ants live. These creatures live in vast networks of tunnels beneath the surface, creating massive underground complexes.

                    Compared to most uplifted animals, Ants possess a willingness to serve one of their own which they call the Ant Queen. This Queen is a central part to Ant life as all facets of life revolve around them. This however is not a form of brainwashing as Ants are merely more than pawns to the Queen. Each Ant has their own dreams and wishes and the Queen by extension is a servant to the Ants, as she works to achieve their desires. To the Queen, each Ant is a loyal extension of her order, and she works hard to keep the people happy.

                    Regarding the Old Ones, the Ants say that their society functions as a well-oiled machine, possessing a form of leadership that the Old Ones were incapable of attaining. The Ants do not claim to know what happened to the Old Ones, and they really don’t care. All they care for is serving the Queen to the best of their abilities in any matter they can. To this end, many Ants become adventurers, travelling to far-off lands or searching tombs of the Old Ones to find relics that can appease their Queen.

                    Breeds of Ants

                    Fire
                    Black
                    Carpenter
                    Pharaoh
                    Weaver
                    Queen

                    Fish
                    Within the depths of the oceans, explorers have encountered an uplifted species of animals called Fish. Unlike common fish, they seem to be able to communicate and breathe just as we do. Fish are capable of living above water for a set period but cannot survive off the land alone. Fish build their homes in both bodies of fresh and saltwater, using any materials in the construction of their homes.

                    When asked on their thoughts of the Old Ones, Fish explain that they know little about man. Stories passed as legend among fish explain how men would fish for them with rods, or catch them with nets to be on display in their homes. However, stories are also passed of cities beneath the ocean such as the legendary city of Atlantis and other great treasure that have sunk to the ocean floor.

                    To Fish, the world is a truly vast place as they explore this green paradise above the sea, uncovering mysteries that puzzle them. With that said, the ocean is vast and Fish admit they have not yet mapped every corner of the sea floor. With determination, Fish swim forward into these uncharted waters.

                    Breeds of Fish
                    Eels
                    Sharks
                    Carp

                    Birds
                    Birds believe that the Unseen are the Old Ones, becoming beings of slavery. Creatures that enslave the will of others. Birds wish to be free of the shackles that hold them, and the ones that wish to oppress them. Birds fight to encourage the other animals to fight for their freedoms and break away from the shackles of the Unseen. Birds do not believe in the dependency to man that dogs and cats suggest, striving for a world for all races, built without a need for man.

                    Birds have poems of a bird that was trapped in a cage. Many birds feel inspired by these stories to suggest how man enslaved those they saw beneath them. The Old Ones enslaved all they saw as tools from other animals to even other Old Ones.

                    Breeds of Birds
                    Eagles
                    Hawks
                    Crows
                    Parrots
                    Vultures
                    Owls

                    Monkeys/Apes
                    Explorers have discovered a species of creature within the wild jungles. These creatures are covered in hair and swing from the tree tops. They call themselves Apes or Monkeys. These primates make their home in the hot, steamy jungles of the world.

                    Monkeys have uncovered old texts to which they refer to as the Book of Darwins. This strange text explains that man evolved from Primates. Monkeys have grasped onto this ideology and believe that the Old Ones are no longer around as they have evolved into a form even greater than what they were. By this knowledge, Monkeys who are kin to Man possess the same capabilities to evolve and become the Old Ones themselves. Monkeys and Apes experiment with these beliefs in their lives, studying how to evolve either through science, religious fervor, or some other method.

                    Breeds of Monkeys/Apes
                    Monkeys
                    Apes

                    Relics referred to as "Fragments"
                    Within the world is not only uplifted animals, but there is also sentient beings who were left behind by the Old Ones. These beings are called Fragments, for they are fragments from the world the Old Ones were from. Fragments are few and far in between, often building their homes in the worlds of uplifted animals or setting up shop in the tombs of Men. In the world of Man, Fragments were tools, machines,devices, and robots that man used to do their bidding.

                    These Fragments often feel lost as they awaken in this new world, awoken either due to chance or from the actions of uplifted animals. being exposed to many things they couldn’t imagine as they try to find their place and purpose in it. Around the other animals, they are often revered with respect as the Old Ones have, however many wonder and fear their return and what they mean for the many great nations of uplifted animals. Many have a compulsion to discover what happened to the world they came from and the fragments they remember of it.

                    Breeds of Fragments
                    Fragments

                    ____

                    Curious on other's feedback of this - I've spent a lot of time on it and am excited for it to be used in my own stories when the time comes for it. For now the players are all Dogs/Cats but if later down the line they wish to play others, they will have these to choose from (along with Badgers, Rodents and Lizards).



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Side note about the fish people. The nearest large body of water to Pugmire and the Monarchies is acidic. You need to make a boat out of the "miracle material" of plastic to work in the Acid Sea.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MCN View Post
                        Side note about the fish people. The nearest large body of water to Pugmire and the Monarchies is acidic. You need to make a boat out of the "miracle material" of plastic to work in the Acid Sea.

                        Ah yes I forgot about that detail :P. Perhaps they have some power to deal with the acidity? Or perhaps not all the seas are acid...hmm. Well it's something I'll need to think about. Thanks for the feedback MCN - still interested to see what you churn out .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Volke, I really like your frogs and rabbits. Definitely might use those in my game if it makes sense to. The birds believing that the Unseen are the Old Ones is actually something I was toying with as a heretical dog belief myself, so I dig it. As for the rest, they look fine, I'm just not terribly likely to use them in my games I don't think.

                          Re the apes: I actually ran a session in my Pugmire game where a Shepherd found a mandrill that somehow got lost way too far north, dubbed it the "Prophet of Man" and convinced his flock that the mandrill was relaying Man's teachings to him in a language none of the rest of them understood. The mandrill wasn't uplifted, though, just a poor animal far from home.

                          One possible solution for the fish would be that the acid sea is only acidic to a certain depth, and that the uplifted fish all live below that. (This is actually quite possible physically, think about haloclines in the ocean.) They might call it "the acid sky" or "the acid surface" or something, even.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tim4488 View Post
                            Volke, I really like your frogs and rabbits. Definitely might use those in my game if it makes sense to. The birds believing that the Unseen are the Old Ones is actually something I was toying with as a heretical dog belief myself, so I dig it. As for the rest, they look fine, I'm just not terribly likely to use them in my games I don't think.

                            Re the apes: I actually ran a session in my Pugmire game where a Shepherd found a mandrill that somehow got lost way too far north, dubbed it the "Prophet of Man" and convinced his flock that the mandrill was relaying Man's teachings to him in a language none of the rest of them understood. The mandrill wasn't uplifted, though, just a poor animal far from home.

                            One possible solution for the fish would be that the acid sea is only acidic to a certain depth, and that the uplifted fish all live below that. (This is actually quite possible physically, think about haloclines in the ocean.) They might call it "the acid sky" or "the acid surface" or something, even.

                            <3 <3 - i'm really glad you like the frogs and rabbits , and I hope they work well for you.

                            I think in regards to your solution for the fish I think I'll try that. I was thinking it would be a cool adventure maybe that the players find old scuba diving gear and go for an adventure beneath the sea to the home of the fish.

                            Anyways thanks again

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X