Calling: Swashbuckler [Homebrew] [Mau]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling: Swashbuckler [Homebrew] [Mau]

So I have to say, I was really expecting Monarchies of Mau to have some sort of fencer/duelist/swashbuckler type Calling, and I was a little disappointed when I saw it didn’t. You could come close with a properly built Footpad or Champion, maybe, but they just don’t quite have the right feel. Here’s my take – hope you don’t mind homebrew, Eddy.

My two biggest concerns are A: that it may be too powerful (Fencer’s Strike is a bit nerfed from Precise Attack for this reason, and it's deliberately weak on defense compared to most frontline combat characters) and B: that it lacks originality, since it’s 90% stolen from existing callings. I’m open to any feedback. (One option might be to have Fencer's Strike work more as a debuff, e.g. trip mechanics, rather than straight damage?)

Swashbuckler

Stamina dice: d8 per level
    Stamina points: 8 + Constitution modifier per level
    Primary abilities: Charisma and Dexterity
    Skills: Choose two from Balance, Bluff, Intimidate, Notice, Perform, Persuade, Sense Motive, and Traverse
    Rucksack: Two melee weapons or one melee weapon and one simple ranged weapon, one suit of light armor, gloves, torches, 50 feet of rope, and an item of jewelry acquired under unusual circumstances.
    First secrets: Simple Weapon Aptitude, Martial Weapon Aptitude, Light Armor Aptitude, and choose one from Fencer’s Strike or Duelist’s Style.

Duelist’s Style: The swashbuckler has mastered a fighting style, giving her certain benefits in combat. When this secret is chosen, choose one of the following:
    • Dueling Style: When wielding a melee weapon in one paw and no other weapons, damage rolls gain +2.
    • Two-Weapon Style: When wielding two light weapons, add your ability modifier and your proficiency bonus to the damage roll. This counts as one attack (i.e., you are attacking with both weapons at once, instead of making two separate attacks), but the attacker can decide which weapon and damage type is used for the damage roll.
    Refinements:
    • If you chose Dueling Style previously, you gain +1 on melee attack rolls while wielding a melee weapon in one paw and no other weapons.
    • If you chose Two-Weapon Style previously, you gain +1 to defense when wielding two weapons.
    Fast-Talk: As the Artisan trick in Pugmire, including all refinements.

Fencer’s Strike: Swashbucklers know how to throw their opponent off-balance to open up their defense. Once per turn, the swashbuckler can add 1d6 to a melee attack damage roll if she has advantage for any reason, or if an ally of the swashbuckler is within five feet of the target.
    In addition, the swashbuckler can make a Charisma check (difficulty is 10 + the highest Wisdom modifier of all active opponents) as an action to feint, taunt, or otherwise misdirect an opponent. If successful, she gains advantage on her next melee attack roll.

Refinements:
    • The swashbuckler can now make a Charisma check to feint as a bonus action, instead of a regular action.
    Quick Draw: As the Tracker secret in Monarchies of Mau, including all refinements.
    Last edited by Tim4488; 07-04-2017, 09:08 AM.

I realize this didn't get much interest first time around, but just in case anyone is interested or wants to give feedback - I'm dropping Quick Draw entirely and replacing it with a Parry mechanic similar to the Wanderer's deflect missiles option, but melee only.

Parry: When you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to parry with your own weapon. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by d8 + your Dexterity modifier. If you reduce the damage to 0, you also avoid any other effects that may have resulted from being hit (such as poison or a magical effect on the weapon).
    Refinements:
    • When you parry, you instead reduce the damage you take by d10 + your Dexterity modifier.
      • If this refinement is taken a second time, the amount you reduce damage by is increased to d12 + your Dexterity Modifier.
    • Three times per day, you may parry without spending your reaction. You may not parry the same attack twice, but you may parry multiple times within a single round by using this ability.
      • If this refinement is taken a second time, you instead receive one free parry every round. You may not parry the same attack twice, but you may parry multiple times within a single round by using this ability.

Comment

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody's gotten a Fast Talk analogue in Mau. I almost find it stranger still that no rogue-alike has gotten something like that.

On the subject of Parry, the refinement not taking up a reaction seems a little out of style with design choices. Firstly, a distinct times/day doesn't really happen in the rest of the game, it would be more along the lines of "the swashbuckler can do this a number of times equal to their Dexterity Modifier until he needs to sleep".

I also feel like allowing some kind of riposte on any parry where you've reduced the damage to 0 might be an appropriate refinement.

Comment

Good call on the Dex limit and eliminating the unlimited free parry. I like the riposte! I'll probably just say if you reduce the damage to 0, you can make an attack of opportunity (as a refinement). Keep it simple.

Comment

Sorry if my wording was weird, but that's about the concept I had in my mind, yeah.

Comment

Hmm.... seems like we're slightly reinventing the wheel here. Dueling Styles are just repeating regular fighting styles. Even the refinements are basically just copying either Defensive style, or boosting your Attribute with your level's improvement. And Fencer's Strike is just a slightly reworded Precise Attack; given that there's no feint ability in the game, making Bluff and Hide checks are the way to go to angle advantage, and Precise Attack already allows that kind of thing. As long as you can do something so the enemy doesn't see the attack coming, which Precise Attack allows, you get that advantage. Your Fencer's Strike is actually weaker than Precise Attack.

Precise Attack also works great with a cat's instictive Pouncing ability. Well, Pouncing is all you need, though - Ready an action so that you repost or counter attack when someone else moves in to attack you, and you're getting advantage every attack at virtually no cost. Cats should always, always, always be angling for some way to Pounce for that extra Advantage in the first place, no matter their Calling.

Also, add in some House Rex Instictive Dodge for extra dodge ability. Your parry ability is reducing damage instead of boosting Defense, but its a thematically similar ability.

It really looks like we're basically taking the Footpad here, and allowing the Cross-Calling Tricks hack (as per Pugmire p168).

Comment

You're not wrong - Duelist's Style and Fencer's Strike are deliberately minor tweaks of existing abilities. Fencer's Strike is deliberately mildly weaker than Precise Attack because the rest of the class has a stronger offensive approach overall, and I think Precise Attack combined with Fighting Styles would be too powerful, especially with Fast Talk's +Cha to damage. That said, I didn't catch that Precise Attack would already allow a Bluff check to gain advantage - I guess I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that's explicit in rules as written, which is why I wrote this the way I did.

Cross-Calling Tricks as written only ever allows you one cross-class Trick, so you wouldn't quite get here, but I see what you mean. I deliberately tried to keep it as close as possible to existing mechanics to help with balance, but I was afraid that doing so might also make it lack a distinctive identity, which seems to be what you're saying. It sounds like maybe it would be worth writing a few newer ideas to let the class feel more distinct - I agree that Footpad is the closest to the concept as it currently stands, but I don't know, I just don't feel like Footpad quite captures the swashbuckler as I would like to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim4488 View Post
                Fencer's Strike is deliberately mildly weaker than Precise Attack because the rest of the class has a stronger offensive approach overall,
                Except? Not really. You are basically replacing the increased damage of precise attack with Fighting styles. With all the Fighting Styles stacked, you'll still only be getting +8 damage on top of the 1d6, and that's at level 9. Meanwhile, someone that takes all the precise attack damage boosts is getting 1d6+11 damage on average, and that's level 4. No matter how you swing it, Precise Attack has more damage potential than Duelist style. The only time Swashbuckler has a stronger offensive approach is at level 9 and we only allow two Precise Attack refinements, while the swashbuckler gets both Duelist Styles damage boost, and its a differential difference of +1. Every other level puts a Footpad ahead or equal in terms of damage.

and I think Precise Attack combined with Fighting Styles would be too powerful, especially with Fast Talk's +Cha to damage.
                That's not how Fast Talk works. Keeping in mind that Fast Talk needs both the initial Trick/Secret on top of a refinement to get the Charisma attack, which is a big investment, but what it does is allow you to make attacks using Charisma instead of Dexterity or Strength. It doesn't add, it replaces. In short you are spending two levels to make a CHA-based fencer instead of a DEX-based one. That's expensive. Prohibitively so.

If you think that PA and FS are too powerful? Well, that's fair enough, but do keep in mind that there's an opertunity cost associated here - you'd need six levels to get all the damage boosters, and that's ALL you'd be able to do. No Expertise, no trapfinding, no aura of protection or inspirations, no defensive abilities, etc. No feinting either. Just damage.

EDIT: Also? Precise Attack + Archery. Both are innately part of the Footpad calling, and (with a Refinement tax) they work together. Two attacks, plus precise attack damage. That's a lot of damage, though at a big investment. We already have some very stackable damage options here.

Cross-Calling Tricks as written only ever allows you one cross-class Trick, so you wouldn't quite get here, but I see what you mean.
                In my experience, very few people have all four of a calling's Tricks/Secrets. You can have, at most, 10 abiities. That needs to cover all your Calling, Breed/House, Masterwork and generic abilities (such as shield proficency) that you could posssibly have. You will always be hungry for more improvements

I just don't feel like Footpad quite captures the swashbuckler as I would like to see it.
                So, what do you feel is missing? At a glance, I see that you want an option for two weapon fighting, but putting that aside, what else are you looking for in a swashbuckler?
                Last edited by MCN; 08-09-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X