Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopefully on topic: They Came from Beneath the Sea!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully on topic: They Came from Beneath the Sea!

Nobody else is posting about this that I can find on the forums, probably for the same reason I almost didn't: that they weren't quite sure where to post about it. I quote from the penultimate page (probably the inside back cover in the print edition) of the Gen Con Brochure:
    "Drive into town. Punch a gillman.
    Grab a dollar 'shake. Wrestle an aquaterpillar.
    Take my date to the drive-in theatre.
    Fight a small army of crab-folk.

Just a regular damn day since
    those bastards came from beneath the sea!"
    - Big Jim Murdoch

THEY CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA!
    KICKSTARTER COMING 2018

Is this a WoD game, I wondered? A CofD game? Somehow fitted into one of the Path-owned properties? So I did some googling to see if anyone was using the phrase, and I found a post on the UK Games Expo site from the Gentleman Gamer himself, OPP contributor Matthew Dawkins, including the following tidbit:

Originally posted by Matthew Dawkins
    At this year’s UK Games Expo I will be running an as-yet unpublished game of my own creation called ‘They Came From Beneath The Sea!’ which is a combination of my love for B-Movies and sci-fi horror. My intent isn’t just to self-promote but to get some actual playtesting from a diverse range of players who don’t necessarily know me.
    And, just like that, it went to something I might back when the Kickstarter goes live to something I probably will, and something I had an idea where to talk about. And here I am. And how are you today?

Hmmmm! OPP expanding their repertoire with more creator-owned games is cool, and I can appreciate some supernatural pulp horror that doesn't fit with the Chronicles of Darkness or suit the tone of World of Darkness.

Comment

He's mentioned it before in his videos.

Though if I recall correctly, the previous playtests didn't go so well.

Comment

The previous playtests highlighted what was wrong with the game, and fortunately, those problems are now gone

I will be announcing more at the Scion and Trinity panel on Saturday.

Matthew Dawkins
        Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

And no, not a part of the WoD or CofD. TCFBTS! is its own game line.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Finally some material to go along with my GURPS Atomic Horror & Hollow Earth Expedition mash-up!

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
              The previous playtests highlighted what was wrong with the game, and fortunately, those problems are now gone

I will be announcing more at the Scion and Trinity panel on Saturday.
              Storypath system then? Or just that they are the closest cousins to TCFBTS! ?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Storypath system then? Or just that they are the closest cousins to TCFBTS! ?
                Storypath will be the core, though this game's unique features will make it distinct.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

As a fan of TGG and all of his work, I'm in for this big time.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                    As a fan of TGG and all of his work, I'm in for this big time.
                    I genuinely appreciate your continued support for my works.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Definitely sounds interesting! As a H.P. Lovecraft and Sci-Fi / B Movie Fanatic, the name alone grabbed me. Is there any info I could find somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by EldritchMinister View Post
                        Definitely sounds interesting! As a H.P. Lovecraft and Sci-Fi / B Movie Fanatic, the name alone grabbed me. Is there any info I could find somewhere?
                        We have literally only just started writing, so nothing is released yet. I'll do a blog post in the coming weeks though.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

This sounds interesting. I can already picture a guy shooting a monster while his buddy his fighting the mobsters responsible for smuggling it into the city from South America.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
                            This sounds interesting. I can already picture a guy shooting a monster while his buddy his fighting the mobsters responsible for smuggling it into the city from South America.
                            You've pretty much got the right idea!

The protagonists in this game are divided into Archetypes: The Survivor (think the strong-jawed veteran hero with a torn vest and too many muscles in his arms), the Everyman (blue collar Joe just looking to defend his patch of land), the Scientist (mad or otherwise, but usually mad), the G-Man (whether it be Bureau, local sheriff, or other person in-the-know), and the Mouth (the plucky journalist, the faded actor looking for his chance to shine, the kid with a wisecrack for every situation).

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

You've pretty much got the right idea!

The protagonists in this game are divided into Archetypes: The Survivor (think the strong-jawed veteran hero with a torn vest and too many muscles in his arms), the Everyman (blue collar Joe just looking to defend his patch of land), the Scientist (mad or otherwise, but usually mad), the G-Man (whether it be Bureau, local sheriff, or other person in-the-know), and the Mouth (the plucky journalist, the faded actor looking for his chance to shine, the kid with a wisecrack for every situation).
                              This sounds awesome! I can't wait for this game. Are those all the Archetypes or just a sample to intrigue us?

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                              Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Working...
                              X