Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canis Minor FAQ - Pugmire Community Content!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canis Minor FAQ - Pugmire Community Content!

Hello, good dogs! As we've talked about on the Kickstarter (and Gen Con, and PAX Unplugged, and Dragonmeet....) we're working on a program to allow people to create and sell Pugmire adventures, along with some other Pugmire-related projects! We're still finishing up the assets, but I wanted to pass along the guidelines and FAQ I wrote. If you have any additional questions or comments, post them here, and I may update the FAQ before it goes live. Thanks!

“Canis Minor” Program Guidelines

Rules
    Your work can use any of the game system rules and terms found in the latest edition of Pugmire published by Onyx Path Publishing. You are not allowed to copy large sections of the Pugmire book (over 500 words), aside from material available via the OGL SRD.

You must include the words "Compatible with Pugmire" or "Requires the use of the Pugmire book" on the cover (front or back), the credits/legal page, and the product description on DriveThruRPG.com.

Setting
    You can use any material presented in Pugmire. This includes the names of species, places, locations, masterworks, spells, events, characters, and the like. You can add additional cities and villages within the area referenced in the provided map, but you cannot create new countries, continents, or other locations outside the detailed area.

At this time, the Monarchies of Mau are not available for use, but will become available when the Monarchies of Mau book is published (at which time this document will be updated).

Content Restrictions
    Neither your work nor any advertising, promotions, press releases, or other documents affiliated with the work may contain racist, homophobic, discriminatory, or other repugnant views; objectifying descriptions of people's bodies or cultures; gratuitous depictions or descriptions of violence or gore; rape or other acts of criminal perversion; scenes or material of an explicitly sexual nature; or other harmful or obscene material.

Neither your work nor any advertising, promotions, press releases, or other documents affiliated with the work may contain any claim that you or the work has been sanctioned or approved by Pugsteady or Onyx Path Publishing, or is affiliated with either company in any way, other than to acknowledge that the work is produced and distributed as part of the “Canis Minor” Community Content program.

Allowable Media
    Adventures and limited support products for the Pugmire roleplaying game. You cannot include materials presenting new nations, locations not already detailed, or rules for creating player characters of new species. (Statistics for a non-player character of a previously undocumented species are valid, as long as the entire species is not detailed in the product.)

Stock art resources for Pugmire adventures and support products.

No fiction except short vignettes (750 words or less) in the roleplaying game work. These vignettes must be directly related to the work in question.

No other media, including but not limited to stand-alone fiction, software, music, and comics, are allowed at this time.

Art
    Onyx Path Publishing has made additional stock art and templates available. You can find them here:

[links to art and templates pending]

No other art from officially published materials can be used, but you are free to use correctly-licensed stock art or commission your own art for your products (within content restrictions). Photographs are not allowed in any Pugmire product, even if you are licensed to use them.

The “Canis Minor” logo must appear on the cover of your book at the bottom center or bottom right. It must be discernible and legible at normal full-screen viewing size, but does not need to be the primary logo or title on the cover. You may not use the Pugmire logo, Onyx Path logo, Pugsteady logo, or any other trade dress not released as part of the stock art and templates.

Legal
    In addition to the text of the Open Game License, the following text must appear in your product, along with any other legal and copyright information.

This product was created under license. PUGMIRE and its logo, and CANIS MINOR and its logo, are trademarks of Pugsteady, and used in conjunction with Onyx Path Publishing. All Pugmire setting material, art, and trade dress are the property of Onyx Path Publishing and Pugsteady. www.theonyxpath.com

This work contains material that is copyright Onyx Path Publishing and Pugsteady. Such material is used with permission under the Community Content Agreement for “Canis Minor” Community Content. All other original material in this work is copyright [THIS YEAR] by [YOUR LEGAL NAME OR COMPANY NAME] and published under the Community Content Agreement for “Canis Minor” Community Content.

Frequently Asked Questions

Ownership and License Questions
    Canis Minor is not an open game license. Beyond what is allowable with the OGL, content creators only have permission to use those unique game systems and background materials explicitly permitted by Canis Minor. Content creators are not allowed to use other material for original content unless they have a license to do so from Pugsteady and Onyx Path Publishing (which requires a separate agreement).

If you’re still not sure about what you are allowed to publish, check the table below to see if that helps.

Allowed
    I want to…
    • design content using the Pugmire rules for Pugmire-related content
    • have my content considered for additional publication by Pugsteady and/or Onyx Path
    • have my content considered for inclusion in digital games
    • have my content considered for inclusion in Pugmire marketing

Not Allowed
    I cannot…
    • publish my original IP using non-OGL elements of the Pugmire rules
    • print and sell my Pugmire products on my own
    • publish content for Monarchies of Mau at this time
    • publish crossover games before all the game lines involved are made available
    • publish crossover games with IPs that do not belong to Pugsteady
    • publish my own rules system for games set in the Pugmire world

Does Pugsteady/Onyx Path own the content that I create in my Canis Minor publications?
    Yes. Further, content creators are not allowed to create new intellectual property under the Canis Minor program. Rather, every piece of content created uses the Pugsteady/Onyx Path IP. That said, if your work merits incorporation into canon, Pugsteady/Onyx Path will contact you.

The Canis Minor agreement will grant other Canis Minor authors a license to use your original content at any time from its publication date.

What do I include in the legal text within my Canis Minor title?
    We recommend a legal section in this general format:

This product was created under license. PUGMIRE and its logo, and CANIS MINOR and its logo, are trademarks of Pugsteady, and used in conjunction with Onyx Path Publishing. All Pugmire setting material, art, and trade dress are the property of Onyx Path Publishing and Pugsteady. www.theonyxpath.com
    This work contains material that is copyright Onyx Path Publishing and Pugsteady. Such material is used with permission under the Community Content Agreement for “Canis Minor” Community Content. All other original material in this work is copyright [THIS YEAR] by [YOUR LEGAL NAME OR COMPANY NAME] and published under the Community Content Agreement for “Canis Minor” Community Content.

If I use content from other Canis Minor authors, do I need to credit them?
    As more authors contribute to the Canis Minor’s pool of community content, we do not expect to maintain perfect attribution every time some author re-uses elements originally contributed by another author. Such attributions are not strictly required. However, we do think two things would be best practices for all Canis Minor contributors:

• When re-using a larger element that you have taken from another Canis Minor author’s work, include a reference to the original work as a link to the DriveThruRPG page within your PDF. For example, if you use a new enemy called the Badger Mystics that you found in another author’s work, you should reference that inside your own work using an internal citation such as "Badger Mystics from Attack of the Badgers by Jane Doe".

• On your title’s credit page, make a list of such references.

Content and Format Questions

What can I use in my products on the Canis Minor?
    When you create your own title for the Canis Minor, you get access to a hoard of resources. Your work can use any of the rules published by Pugsteady/Onyx Path. Additionally, Pugsteady/Onyx Path and OneBookShelf will from time to time make additional resources such as stock art, template cover designs, and other such assets available for you to freely use in your Canis Minor titles.

As others create content for the Canis Minor and expand the world through their titles, you then have access to use that material in turn. All Canis Minor creators contribute to a pool of community content that can be re-used, expanded, and explored by other creators in the Canis Minor community. In short, this is an opportunity to take part in a massive communal design network, one that is officially recognized and sanctioned by Pugsteady/Onyx Path.

I don’t see anything that would stop me from publishing Monarchies of Mau products on Canis Minor. Can I do that?
    Not at this time. In the near future, we will announce and update the Content Guidelines as new game settings become available on the Canis Minor.

Can I create new player character species in my products?
    No. Pugsteady and Onyx Path reserve the right to product official products featuring new player character species.

Can I use iconic Pugsteady/Onyx Path characters like Yosha Pug, Pan Dachshund, and Leo Bulldog in my Canis Minor title?
    Yes. They are good dogs.

Can I publish comic books, computer games, apps, and so on on Canis Minor?
    No. For now, we ask that you publish RPG supplements and stock art illustrations only, please.

Can I sell my Canis Minor title in print as well as PDF?
    No. At this time, we are not allowing new print files for Community Content programs. If you have questions about this, contact publisher services at publisherservices@onebookshelf.com.

How do I prepare the PDF of my title for sale?
    There are many different programs to lay out and prepare your book for digital download. Here are some things to help you make sure your PDF will download properly and look great!

[DriveThruRPG tutorial links go here]
    Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, and Virtual Tabletop Content

Can I publish Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, or other virtual tabletop compatible content through Canis Minor?
    Yes! As long as your material follows the other posted guidelines, you can produce content for Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, and other virtual tabletop programs.

What is Fantasy Grounds Content?
    Fantasy Grounds is a virtual table top (VTT) program published by SmiteWorks that lets you play RPGs virtually with your friends. Now you can do that with Canis Minor content! This lets you play out your favorite community created adventures, monsters, heroes, and other user made enhancements to your game.

How do I make a Fantasy Grounds file?
    Most Fantasy Grounds content will be in the form of .mod files created by using the export features from Fantasy Grounds. More information is available in the Fantasy Grounds' Developer Guides: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/i...veloper_Guides

How do I upload my Fantasy Grounds compatible content?
    You upload your content nearly the same way as any other Canis Minor title. On your Account page, click on Enter New Community Created Title, just like you normally would.
    When you see the options for "Publish Community Content" or "Publish Fantasy Grounds Content" choose "Publish Fantasy Grounds Content". This will note your product as Fantasy Grounds compatible, so we can display it in the right places on the marketplace.

What if I already have a PDF of my title for sale? Can I make a Fantasy Grounds file for it?
    Yes! But you should then republish the title so that you use the “Publish Fantasy Grounds Content” button per above for the new title listing. Then make private your old listing that was for the PDF-only version using the Edit Title link under My Content on your Account page.

What logos can I use?
    The normal artwork rules apply for the thumbnail image/covers.

For titles with Fantasy Grounds content, you can continue to use the Canis Minor logo, but to make it stand out, you can also use this Fantasy Grounds logo on your cover.

How do I use these files?
    For help installing and using files on Fantasy Grounds, take a look at the Fantasy Grounds User Guides here:
    http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/i...hp/User_Guides

Can I make a Fantasy Grounds version of another author's Canis Minor release?
    The artwork, including cartography, that another author includes in their Canis Minor title does not become re-usable by other Canis Minor authors. For this reason, it's likely very challenging to make a Fantasy Grounds compatible version of another author's work without contacting that author and working with them on it as a co-published project. Authors can be contacted by leaving them a message in the Discussion thread of their product.

Logo and Artwork Questions
    What kinds of artwork and maps can I use in my Canis Minor products?
    The artwork (such as illustrations and maps) that you include in your product becomes part of the Canis Minor content that other Canis Minor contributors can then use. Here is general advice for these types of artwork:

• Art provided by Pugsteady/Onyx Path. The art you find in the Resources for Canis Minor Creators category is owned by Pugsteady/Onyx Path and can be freely used in your Canis Minor titles. No other artwork from Pugsteady/Onyx Path can be used — only the art specifically released for Canis Minor Creators.

• Public Domain Art. Art that is in the public domain can be used, but it must be listed in the credits.

• Stock Art. Usage of stock art depends on the license associated with that stock art. Most of the stock art sold under the Canis Minor Resources category on DriveThruRPG includes a license that would allow it to be used in your Canis Minor titles.

• Commissioned Art. You must have all the rights to the art in your project. Commissioned artwork may have not been previously used for any other IP that is not a part of the Canis Minor.

• Creative Commons. This depends on the type of Creative Commons license. Some allow commercial use, while others do not.

What logos are required and allowed on my Canis Minor product?
    You are required to use the Canis Minor logo on the cover of any product. You may not use the Pugmire logo or any other game line logo as part of your RPG product title.

Do I have to use the templates provided by Pugsteady/Onyx Path?
    You are highly recommended to use Pugsteady/Onyx Path templates, but they are not a requirement.

Payment and Pricing Questions

How should I price my product?
    When you upload your Canis Minor product, you will enter all the metadata for your product, including setting its price. You have the option to set the price to be free ($0). You can also set the price to be Pay What You Want (PWYW), meaning that each customer can set their own price (from $0 up) to pay for your product. Most products, though, will be priced at a fixed price.

The ideal fixed price varies with the length of RPG product and its quality of writing, art, and design. Based on historic data from DriveThruRPG sales for PDFs, the most successful price points are $1.00, $2.00, $2.95, $3.95, $4.99, $7.95, $10.00, $14.95, and $19.99.

How do I get paid?
    Once you activate your Canis Minor title for public sale, your account will begin to accrue a 50% royalty every time your product sells. You can withdraw your accumulated royalties via PayPal by going to the My Money section of the Account page. Note that the My Money section of your Account page will not display until you have a balance accrued.

There is a $2 fee to cover the cost of each withdrawal, but you will pay no other fees, either to us or to PayPal, to receive your money.

To prevent certain types of fraud, we must hold back the amount of royalties you earned in the past 60 days from being eligible for withdrawal. The amount eligible for withdrawal at any time, is your total account earnings balance less the amount earned in the past 60 days. You may use your earnings as site credit to pay for orders on site; this will lower your earnings balance and the amount eligible for withdrawal.

We pay royalties only via PayPal. Creating a PayPal account is free and easy, and in most countries, you can connect your PayPal account to your bank account and transfer money from PayPal to your bank in a few business days.

DriveThruRPG Publisher Account Questions

I already have a publisher account at DriveThruRPG. Should I use my normal publisher tools for submitting Canis Minor products?
    No. Canis Minor products are managed from the My Content section of your Account page on DriveThruRPG.com. Do not use your normal Publisher Hub to set up new Canis Minor products. Royalties for Canis Minor product sales will likewise accrue in your customer account, not in your publisher earnings account

Can I use my publisher tools on my Canis Minor content?
    Canis Minor content is associated only with your customer account, not your publisher account. The tools available to you for your Canis Minor content are found on the Account page of Canis Minor. They are a simplified subset of your normal publisher tools.

Can I release the same products on both Canis Minor and as an independent publisher?
    Any content created for the Canis Minor, which is completely separate from your other publishing efforts, must remain exclusive to Canis Minor. It cannot be listed anywhere else, and will not be considered part of your publisher account (though it will be part of your “My Content” on the Canis Minor).

Other Questions

Can I submit non-English language titles to the Canis Minor program?
    Please do! You can submit your content in any language.

Can I submit translated material to the Canis Minor originally published by other creators?
    Yes, you may translate Canis Minor content with the permission of the original content creator, which will require an agreement between the creator and the translator. This may result in a revenue sharing program as administered by DriveThruRPG.com.

Can I submit translated material of previously officially published Pugsteady/Onyx Path products?
    Not at this time. We are in the process of working with professional translation companies.

Will material be approved by Pugsteady/Onyx Path before it is published on the Canis Minor?
    There will not be a formal approval process by Pugsteady/Onyx Path or OneBookShelf, per se. However, if you’re found to be breaking our content guidelines, there will be repercussions. For example, your content can be pulled from the site, you might be ejected from Canis Minor as a content creator, and you would receive no payment for copies sold.

Can anyone rate my Canis Minor content?
    Only people who purchase your content are allowed to rate and review it. Anyone can join the Discussion on your product page, however.
    It is encouraged to keep reviews of other's work positive and helpful, in keeping with the community atmosphere.

Can I rate my Canis Minor content?
    No. Self-reviews are not allowed.

Can I become an administrator for the Canis Minor?
    At this time, all administration responsibilities are handled by OneBookShelf and Pugsteady/Onyx Path staff.

Comment

Hi Eddy,

This sounds awesome. What I'm understanding from this is that Adventure modules are going to be most consistent with the rules and FAQ's above. Also potentially the creation of other artifacts and other items sounds in keeping with these restrictions.

Can I also clarify that we are allowed to create other towns, cities, or locations within the map provided in the core Pugmire book? For example, I could create a town between Houndton and Pugmire and detail that location?

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

Correct! "You can add additional cities and villages within the area referenced in the provided map, but you cannot create new countries, continents, or other locations outside the detailed area."

Comment

This is awesome Eddy! Thank you! I've got a question about the following two sections:

Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
          Allowable Media
          Adventures and limited support products for the Pugmire roleplaying game. You cannot include materials presenting new nations, locations not already detailed, or rules for creating player characters of new species. (Statistics for a non-player character of a previously undocumented species are valid, as long as the entire species is not detailed in the product.)
          Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
          Frequently Asked Questions
          Not Allowed
          I cannot…
          • publish crossover games with IPs that do not belong to Pugsteady
          Would either of these be allowable as a non-canon fanworks to our Canis Minor works on this forum or on a personal blog as long as we were not making money off of them?

Example 1 (the more relevant for me)
          For example, I'm a big Planescape fan definitely see Pugmire as one of the many worlds reachable in that campaign. I also run a Tumblr of plot hooks for the setting. If I publish a Canis Minor adventure according to all of the guidelines presented, then on my blog say "here is the very non-canon continuing the adventures way I would tie my work to Planescape. These are some plothooks left unresolved, I'd make these demons server Orcus, and here are the NPCs that may have links to this other world," would that be kosher from Pugsteady/OPP's point of view?

Example 2 (more idle curiosity)
          Say I were to feature some sentient octopuses in an adventure, not detailed, in accordance with the guidelines. Would I be able to talk about my ideas for the species off of Canis Minor as long as I made it clear they were non-canon and in no way official?

Thanks again! This is super exciting!

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Working...
          X