[Realms] Economy in Plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Realms] Economy in Plastic

Eddy made blog post about 'monetary system' ( or rather lack of it) in Pugmire and Mau. CLAWS AND EFFECT: RAINING PLASTIC [REALMS OF PUGMIRE]

As I read only Early Access for Monarchies of Mau - I missed that everything is priced in Plastic. From blog post I assume that there are not any clear prices in game world - and everything need to be bartered? EVERY SINGLE ITEM?

And clearly riding temples of Old Ones, to find Plastic, is literal gold minding in this world?! 😲
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-14-2018, 02:02 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

While using plastic in the post-apocalyptic world of Pugmire is amusing, I think you could easily call it coins, tokens, taleks, or even gold, with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Eddy made blog post about 'monetary system' ( or rather lack of it) in Pugmire and Mau. CLAWS AND EFFECT: RAINING PLASTIC [REALMS OF PUGMIRE]

As I read only Early Access for Monarchies of Mau - I missed that everything is priced in Plastic. From blog post I assume that there are not any clear prices in game world - and everything need to be bartered? EVERY SINGLE ITEM?
      Not every single item, but a lot of them, yeah. Early economies didn't have printed price lists, so a lot of pricing is subjective. It's not uncommon for the same service to be free to some dogs and triple price to others.

And clearly riding temples of Old Ones, to find Plastic, is literal gold minding in this world?! 😲
      That's certainly one benefit of raiding the areas left behind by the Old Ones, certainly!

And to lightjammer's point, coins are a fine synonym. Really, you're just mentally replacing "plastic" where most fantasy worlds would use "gold." But if you want to change your game to the gold standard, feel free!

Comment

Given Man's predilection for gold (and silver), both currently and in the past, we've exhumed vast amounts of it making it more common than rock... almost. Well, it's certainly not as rare as it used to be. And given how long plastic will survive, I can see establishing a monetary system based on it, however I would think minting it into usable coinage would be problematic. Odds are, while the kingdom might be on a "plastic" standard, they would probably find something easier to mint for currency.

And what pieces would you mint? All of it? Just old water and soda bottles, boxes, and milk jugs? What would dogs do if they found a bag of plastic aquarium gems? Fight to the death over it? Lots of things to think about here. The players may even help with it.

I haven't perused Monarchies yet, but Pugmire also uses a more abstract monetary system (it looks fun, but I haven't seen it in play yet) that ranges from "a few coins" to "lots of coins" (I assume finding a dragon's hoard would be "lots and lots!)

Comment

Originally posted by lightjammer View Post
          however I would think minting it into usable coinage would be problematic. Odds are, while the kingdom might be on a "plastic" standard, they would probably find something easier to mint for currency.
          If that's what you want to use in your game, feel free!

Comment

So I read Claws & Effect: Raining Plastic.
            I rather like your abstract system; I've always hated having to keep track of countless amounts of coinage in a game. But...
            My problem is with the actual equipment, not the value. I have a few coins and I have to pick up some things from the market. (some of your rucksacks are woefully inadequate for wilderness travel!) If I give everyone a bedroll, something I would think is a necessity, what do I give the Stray to make up for it? And not everyone carries rations? Or a tinderbox?
            So I pick up a bedroll, some rations and a tinderbox... I think that would leave me with no coins. Or, you could use the system you provided for ammunition; Make an Intelligence roll of 10+, or drop one level of "wealth". Perhaps having greater wealth may give you a bonus: if I were going to market and I have Many Coins I roll against a difficulty of 5.

Now while adventuring, I'm waylaid by half a dozen badgers and I manage to take them all down. I loot the bodies and each one of them has a few coins. How much is 6 times a few coins?
            (now I'm beginning to see why the GM just goes "Heck with it..., it costs 10 gold pieces...")

You see, I'm making up some equipment cards to fill little "backpack" boxes* and I was going to reference a 5e equipment list. I figure anything worth silver or less would fall into the Few Coins area and things worth a few gold would be Some Coins, etc.

Anyway, just a few thoughts...
            SteveN

*Courtesy of a little lady across the pond named Rose. She makes some really cool things like sheets and equipment cards and such for 5e. Easily adaptable to Pugmire. She is at http://www.r-n-w.net/

Comment

That all sounds plausible!

For my games, I don't bother with any of that. For one, I don't encourage looting -- stealing from the dead is not something good dogs do. But if people want to go to the market and get supplies, they can use their free rucksack pick before the adventure to do that. If they want more, then I just eyeball their coins. If they have many coins, I don't bother with them picking up, say, a few rations. If they want to buy a horse, though, the Stray with a few coins won't have enough.

The point, as I mention in the blog, is to keep things narrative and not about the economy. That's what works for me. If you need something more robust, any of those systems would work well!

Comment

Working...
              X