[Realms of Pugmire] Spell Slots and Spell Level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Realms of Pugmire] Spell Slots and Spell Level

This topic of discussion has come up in my games so I figured I'd ask it here.

Spell slots don't have levels assigned to them, so reading the text at face value any level of spell can be cast as many times as you have spell slots. For example a level 3 Artisan who has refined their casting trick enough to get level 3 spells could, in theory, spam Fireball at base six times assuming no Con bonus.

Is this indeed accurate, or did I miss something somewhere?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

It looks that way, beside 20 levels crunched in to 10, Pugmire does things a bit different besides. Pugmire also seems a bit more capable than regular 5e D&D characters.

Compared to a D&D wizard of twice the Pug level, a pugmire character casts far less spells, but can cast more of that max level

The balance difference isn't that bad really, but the thing is, if they only have monsters to cast spells on, then either they're finding other ways to solve other problems, or they are facing a lot of monsters

Could think about giving them other things to use spells to solve, or spread the monsters out, so instead of 6 big groups, 8 or more medium or smaller groups, and know that 6 of the groups are just there to use up 6 fireballs

This assumes you want them to solve things with more than just fireballs, or if that's an okay use of their powers

Comment

Spells use up a number of spell slots equal to their rating. If you have six spell slots and a level 3 spell, casting it twice uses up all your slots and it's basic spells only from there on out until you can rest. Spell slots don't have ratings, so you can mix and match spells of different levels as you see fit. More powerful ones just burn through your slots faster.

You could also call spell lots "MP" and say each spell costs 1 "MP" per level if it makes thinking about it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        Spells use up a number of spell slots equal to their rating. If you have six spell slots and a level 3 spell, casting it twice uses up all your slots and it's basic spells only from there on out until you can rest. Spell slots don't have ratings, so you can mix and match spells of different levels as you see fit. More powerful ones just burn through your slots faster.

You could also call spell lots "MP" and say each spell costs 1 "MP" per level if it makes thinking about it easier.
        Do you by any chance have a page number for that?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. One small sentence in a big block of text

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

Working...
        X