Am I reading Stunts right? (TCfBtS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I reading Stunts right? (TCfBtS)

I've been working my way through the backer manuscript and I'm kinda puzzled about some of the mechanics for Stunts.

Most of them are pretty clear examples of things to tack on to existing rolls. IE: Buy off your difficulty then spend remaining successes for nifty scene long buffs. But there's two kinds of things that have me a bit confused.

First up is things like Archetype specific damage boosters, such as the Everyman's Aim for the Outfield. It's a 2 success stunt for a two damage boost with athletic equipment, but the wording reads like it's only for the single action. Why would someone want to use that stunt over, say, buying Increase Damage twice? Mechanically the results seem identical. Similarly, G-Man's Government Trained Sharpshooter. Costs 1 additional success, but all it does is negate a single difficulty. Say it's a diff 3 roll and you get three successes, the end result appears to be the same.

The second is Stunts with no readily apparent activating roll, such as Plant Your Feet, or any that say "as long as the player possesses this stunt". How is posession established?

It's very possible I completely missed something somewhere, and apologies if this isn't the place for questions like this, but any help is appreciated.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
    I've been working my way through the backer manuscript and I'm kinda puzzled about some of the mechanics for Stunts.

Most of them are pretty clear examples of things to tack on to existing rolls. IE: Buy off your difficulty then spend remaining successes for nifty scene long buffs. But there's two kinds of things that have me a bit confused.

First up is things like Archetype specific damage boosters, such as the Everyman's Aim for the Outfield. It's a 2 success stunt for a two damage boost with athletic equipment, but the wording reads like it's only for the single action. Why would someone want to use that stunt over, say, buying Increase Damage twice? Mechanically the results seem identical. Similarly, G-Man's Government Trained Sharpshooter. Costs 1 additional success, but all it does is negate a single difficulty. Say it's a diff 3 roll and you get three successes, the end result appears to be the same.

The second is Stunts with no readily apparent activating roll, such as Plant Your Feet, or any that say "as long as the player possesses this stunt". How is posession established?

It's very possible I completely missed something somewhere, and apologies if this isn't the place for questions like this, but any help is appreciated.

You make good points! All stunts should last for the remainder of the scene unless stated otherwise.

Aim for the Outfield should last for the remainder of the scene and will be rephrased to state as much.
    Government Trained Sharpshooter should also last for the remainder of the scene, as you wouldn't get the stunt without rolling in the first place. I see it as the first roll would be for taking aim, identifying an opponent, or making a first, ranging shot. Then you decrease the difficulty for subsequent rounds fired. It will be edited to state this.
    Plant your Feet, like other stunts, requires a roll first (most often something related to Resilience), after which you gain the benefit for the rest of the scene.

"Possessing a stunt" comes when purchasing it with your additional successes. It disappears after the scene concludes.

Matthew Dawkins
    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Working...
    X