[Realms] NPCs only Callings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Realms] NPCs only Callings

When thinking about stating Castellan of my PCs party - I got idea that I want him to be some kind of diplomat or spy master. Then I understood that in Pugmire and Mau we do not have heroic Callings like that. And then I recalled there are NPCs Classes in D&D 3.5E SRD - so I thought maybe it's good idea to adapt them to Realms engine. So this topic is for making Realms of Pugmire versions of Aristocrat and Expert Callings, at least. If you got any other ideas for NPCs Callings - write them surely here also. We may later make Canis Minor booklet of that.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

First take on those rules - point me where they are not working.

Guide’s Fortune

This are alternative rules for using Fortune by Guide to those found in Pugmire and Mau corebooks. Guide has his own Fortune bowl that is empty on the start of adventure. Whenever players spend their own Fortune, point those spent goes to Guide’s bowl. Guide’s characters can spend Fortune just like player’s character can do it – and Guide cannot have more Fortune in bowl than is number of players characters in game. Guide’s Fortune spent do not return to players and is finally removed from game.

Cross-Callings characters

Alternative rules for characters using others Callings Secrets or Ticks are in corebooks of Mau page 180 - and Pugmire page 168, respectively.

Aristocrat

You can be born or raised as Noble – but to be true Aristocrat, you must dedicate your life for this way of living. Rulers, diplomats or just simple ‘talk over him’ characters are from this Calling.
    Stamina dice: d6 per level
    Stamina points: 6 + Constitution modifier per level
    Primary abilities: Charisma and Intelligence
    Skills: Choose two from Bluff, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Know Culture, Know History, Know Spirituality, Notice, Persuade, Search, Sense Motive, Survive, and Traverse.
    First secrets: Simple Weapon Aptitude, Martial Weapon Aptitude, Light Armor Aptitude, Medium Armor Aptitude, Shield Aptitude, and choose one from either Favor or Inspiration ( see below).

Expert

Experts are driven Uplifted Animals that are best in what they do. They may not be true heroes, but they are best in what they work for. Often it’s being craftsman or blacksmith of some kind.
    Stamina dice: d6 per level
    Stamina points: 6 + Constitution modifier per level
    Primary abilities: Charisma and Intelligence
    Skills: Choose two from Handle Animal, Know Arcana, Heal, Know Culture, Know History, Know Nature, Know Spirituality, Notice, Persuade, Perform, Search, Sense Motive, Survive, and Traverse.
    First secrets: Simple Weapon Aptitude, Martial Weapon Aptitude, Light Armor Aptitude, Medium Armor Aptitude, Shield Aptitude, and choose one from either Crafter or Expertise ( see below).

Aristocrats Secrets/Tricks

Favor

Everyone wants to help promising Aristocrat, counting for his support later in his career. If the player spends 1 Fortune, she can declare that a previously unknown non-player character of good terms with the character. She can call in for small favor from this character. Aristocrat is then obliged to return the favor, later on.

Inspiration

Aristocrats are known from moving crowds. Spending 1 Fortune, character can give Advantage to one roll for anyone that listen to his speech.
    Refinements
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to give Advantage to rolls in one scene for those that listen her.
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to give Cha modifier times to Advantage to rolls in one scene for one particular listener.
    Experts Secrets/Tricks

Crafter

By spending 1 Fortune and taking time decided by Guide, character can create one Fix.
    Refinements
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to make simple Masterwork with +1 bonus or equivalent property.
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to create up to Int modifier of instances for particular Fix.
    Talent

For 1 Fortune, character can double Proficiency Bonus for roll using one of her Skills.
    Refinements
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to get his Proficiency Bonus to Skill roll he does not have.
    • Character can spend 1 Fortune to triple her Proficiency Bonus to Skill she does have.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-16-2019, 03:18 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I actually think the Aristocrat might be a great idea for a calling that PCs or NPCs could use! I think you're right that that character is currently not super well-represented in either book, but I definitely have players who would want to play it if it was an option. You could maybe steal Honor Challenge from the Champion in MoM? Add a secret or trick related to having wealth and using that to acquire items, similar effect to Crafter but with a different theme of how you got there?

I might add a Secret/Trick to the Expert which I think would work great for like, truly expert librarian/sage types:

Broad Knowledge
      The character gains proficiency in two additional skills of their choice.

Refinements
      • The character gains proficiency in one additional skill of their choice. (This refinement may be selected up to two times.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tim4488 View Post
        I think you're right that that character is currently not super well-represented in either book, but I definitely have players who would want to play it if it was an option.
        They are made mainly for NPCs as they are 'boring' - but if your players want to play them - go for it! (And write the comment from their playtests. )

You could maybe steal Honor Challenge from the Champion in MoM?
        I would not do this from two reasons:
        1. Honor Challenge is iconic Secret of Champion Calling, defining it the same way as Natural Explorer is defining Trackers or Archery is doing the same for Footpads - not the core ability of Calling, but adding him needed depth and making more than D&D Class sterotype.

2. Honor Challange assumes that character is tough and can take beaten on herself. Aristocrat Calling is much less sturdy from Champion. HC can be simply to risky to use it on 'daily basis'.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Add a secret or trick related to having wealth and using that to acquire items, similar effect to Crafter but with a different theme of how you got there?
          On this I will think about. It has sense to the Aristocrat character to be able to get to Masterworks - or even giving it to PCs - but I'm not sure on mechanics here. Idea could be that at highest Refainment, character can even get Relic from House stronghold, if needed.

Broad Knowledge
          The character gains proficiency in two additional skills of their choice.

Refinements
          • The character gains proficiency in one additional skill of their choice. (This refinement may be selected up to two times.)
          It's cool, but very similar is official Expertise Secret from Footpad's list. ( Mau corebook, page 80 ) And it looks I need to rename Experts special power, now.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I renamed Expert’s Expertise Secret/Trick to Talent, cause of the same name in Mau corebook. Experts can also use official Expertise Secret as their Calling one. Now I show you Aristocrats ‘get Masterwork and money’ Secret/Trick.

Wealth

By spending 1 Fortune and taking time decided by Guide, character can get one Fix from family or organizations storages. Character can also spend 1 Fortune to make purchase on higher coins level than actually owned. ( See Pugmire page 167 or Mau page 178 ) Aristocrat is bound to return items or coins of similar value, first time it’s possible.
            Refinements
            • Character can spend 1 Fortune to get simple Masterwork with +1 bonus or equivalent property.
            • Character can spend 1 Fortune to get up to Cha modifier of instances for particular Fix.
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-16-2019, 03:19 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
            X