[Realms of Pugmire] Non-lethal combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Realms of Pugmire] Non-lethal combat

I do not remember any rules for non-lethal combat in Pugmire or Mau, beside Wanderer - de facto D&D Monk Class. Are there any on using simply your claws ( like for cats ) and jaws ( like for dogs )? Are there any for using weapons in non-lethal ways, like stun the opponent? If there are no in Realms, any rules for those from D&D 5E are? My players like to not kill other Uplifted Animals in game ( clear monsters and beast are whole different thing then ).
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-07-2020, 05:49 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

There are rules for natural weaponry somewhere, but I’d need to look for them. Technically, though, if it’s non-lethal combat you want, you could always rule that the zero hit point spot means the enemy is defeated but require a coup de grâce to kill them.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

How many damage should do 'brawl', unarmed attacks? 1d4, 1d6 of Bludgeoning damage?
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-11-2020, 01:51 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

If you were to give natural weapons a dice roll, it would invalidate the Wanderer's Martial Arts skill - and it's not necessary to represent non-lethal damage.

In my chronicle, when an enemy drops to 0 Stamina Points, I allow the player who made the last attack to decide whether it was a lethal shot or just knocked them unconscious. If it was an attack where non-lethal doesn't make sense (like most piercing damage), I allow the enemy to be unconscious and 'making death saves' instead (not that I ever roll) - so that if the party is invested in keeping them alive, they have a chance to stabilize and capture them. I've even allowed my Shepherd to declare that their magic is never lethal against other Uplifted unless they're demon-possessed.

Keep in mind that Stamina Points are described as becoming worn out & bruised from deflecting lethal attacks, as well as minor wounds that slow you down. So "you bash your sword into their armor, bruising their ribs: 3 damage" is already a totally valid description under the current rules (the slashing/bludgeoning part on that attack would mostly matter for armor), so any attack can be ruled as non-lethal.
        If you want to make this more fleshed out and systematic, I'd suggest detailing out how different damage types affect people (at least by adding a "lethal/non-lethal/either" tag to them), without making any changes to damage.

Second Chance for
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_709_1572548741915_354[/ATTACH]
        A Beautiful Madness

Comment

In Adventure of Curios Cats there are NPCs ( non-Wanderers ) with unarmed strike that do 1d4 +x bludgeoning damage, so 1d4 seems to be official answer of normal unarmed attack.

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Except no it isn't. Page 92 filed under Simple Weapons, Melee for both "Bite - 1 piercing damage" and "Unarmed punch or kick - 1 bludgeoning (paw or foot) or slashing (claw) damage". And I do not understand your automatic assumption that non weapon damage is non lethal. There's no lethal or non lethal damage. There's damage of the whole slew of damage types from the basic physical trinity of bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing, or the laundry list of heat, light, cold, etc. As others have said if your players don't want to kill, when they get someone down to 0 hit points say it was non lethal. Why must there be anything beyond that? And if you want more damage than just the raw 1 damage that Cats and Dogs get for just their fists, then you've got some limited options. Option 1, take Wanderer or one of the pirate Callings that have access to Martial Arts. Option 2, make friends with a Wanderer or other Martial Artist and convince them to take the friendly buff Refinement. Option 3, only available to Worker Dogs and Mutts with a Worker's Tricks, take Huge Paws, for a bonus 1d4 to damage. Side note, a Worker Stray and Wanderer could be an amazing team.

Comment

Working...
            X