Monarchies of Mau - Spellcaster Advancement Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarchies of Mau - Spellcaster Advancement Confusion

I need some help/clarification for the Advancement rules for Spellcasters in the game.

In the Advancement section, it mentions that Spellcasters get "2 + Con" more spellpoints and two new spells of their level.

Is this two new spells of their current level (before advancing) or two new spells of the level they are advancing into?

I ask, as in the Spellcasting based secrets, there is a refinement that's listed as "Get two new spells of the higher-level".

So I'm unclear if, for example, going from 1st level spellcaster to 2nd level spellcaster you automatically get two new 2nd level spells. Or you have to take the refinement to get them, thus using up that part of your advancement.

Thanks for any pointers!

If you are playing an Artisan, and advance from level 1 to level 2:

And you do not refine Focus Magic -

You gain 2 + Con Modifier spell slots, and two level 1 spells.

If you refine Focus Magic for more spells -

You gain 2 + Con Modifier spell slots, and four level 1 spells.

If you refine Focus Magic for better spells -

You gain 2 + Con Modifier spell slots, and two level 2 spells.

--------

I'm not sure if Eddy's said anything on it, but RAW you take the highest level spells you can each time, but there's little reason I can see if a player wants to take lower level spells on advancement.

Comment

So - I thought that was what I should be doing as well. I've been following the "refine Focus Magic for better spells" path. So my Mancer is now just reached 4th level. But I have just:
      2 1st level spells
      2 2nd level spells
      2 3rd level spells
      and now 2 4th level spells.

I'm rereading page page 113 of the rule book on "Learning New Spells" and found the following:

"Each time a mancer or minister gains a level, she can choose two new spells at her current spell level. She can ALSO choose to improve her spellcasting secrets and either take another four spells, or start taking spells at the next spell level."

So with that "ALSO" (my emphasis added) I am wondering if I should instead have been taking two additional spells at my current level as well as adding on the two of the new higher level. So I should have:
      4 1st level spells (2 initial, 2 via advancement at 2nd level)
      4 2nd level spells (2 via refine at 2nd level, 2 via advancement 3rd level)
      4 3rd level spells (2 via refine at 3rd level, 2 via advancement at 4th level)
      2 4th level spells (via refine at 4th level)

Thoughts?

Comment

I believe that you were correct in having 2 spells at each level. To supplement the passage on 113, the rules for advancement (111) and the Mancy secret (82) also clarify how it's meant to work, somewhat.

When they gain a level, "Mancers and Ministers choose two more spells" and in addition choose one Refinement (111). The Refinements for Mancy say, "You can choose spells of the next-highest spell level (p. 113). This refinement can be taken multiple times." Or "The mancer can learn four more spells at her current spell level this advancement (for a total of six, p. 113)."

You have to choose between the two refinement options on page 82, and the choice that lets you increase spell level does not offer any additional learnt spells. So if you're increasing your magic every level, you're only learning the 2 spells per level total. As a Guide, I let my spellcasters choose their two new spells from any level they have - so they could pick up one at fourth and one at first if those were the ones they wanted. But it's still 2 total.

Second Chance for
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_709_1572548741915_354[/ATTACH]
        A Beautiful Madness

Comment

Working...
        X