Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[They Came From - ALL] Archetypes Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [They Came From - ALL] Archetypes Thread

    With two games already - Beneath the Sea ( BtS ) and Beyond the Grave ( BtC ) - we have 10 Archetypes to use in play. Some of them are easier to play, some are harder. This topic is for talking about them, in general, and helping to use them on your plays.

    Myself, I have this problem...

    1. I cannot envision what Raconteur in the heart is. BtC preview manuscript seems to point that Raconteur are all about 'uncovering mysteries and secrets' - but then in example characters we have both detective, door attendant, private eye, police officer AND actor, sex worker or aristocrat. Something very mixed bag here to the concept of 'uncovering secrets'.


    My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

  • #2
    Raconteur means a person who tells anecdotes - short and sometimes amusing or instructional stories about alledgedly real people or events - in a skillful or amusing way. The television series Kolchek the Night Stalker is entirely based on this set up, as are things like Tales from the Crypt to a certain degree and any classic horror story that starts with people sharing stories at a private club or dinner party. In the context of the game, these would be various individuals who have in the course of their jobs come across all manner of unique and interesting individuals and happenings, more than a few of which involve supernatural horror elements.


    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

    Comment


    • #3
      Is Kolchak the show with that bald guy?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Penelope View Post
        Is Kolchak the show with that bald guy?
        No, that's Kojak, starring Telly Savalas as an NYPD detective.

        Kolchak is Darren McGavin as a Chicago reporter.


        However, the episodic police detective show genre also makes a great set up for a Raconteur style Beyond the Grave campaign. Dragnet, both its original 1950s run and especially its 1967 - 1970 revival, is really great. Just replace the assorted criminals, hippies, and assorted weirdoes with vampires, Satanic cults, cursed antiques and the like. (The 1987 comedy film also works as a later version of this.) The show Adam-12 also works as a set up for a uniformed patrol car. Also Ironside, Columbo, Police Story, Joe Forrester, Police Woman, Hawaii 5-0, the early Dirty Harry movies, the French Connection, and Kojak. (I wish I knew more about British tv from this period, as I'm sure there's some good ones from that period that also work.)

        Variations include the Private Detective (Peter Gunn, The Rockford Files, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, 77 Sunset Strip, Shaft), the Medical Examiner (Quincy ME), and the Attorney (Perry Mason).

        You could easily assemble an entire collection of these people as a PC group, which would be pretty fun I think.

        Last edited by No One of Consequence; 07-26-2020, 09:49 PM.


        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

          No, that's Kojak, starring Telly Savalas as an NYPD detective.

          Kolchak is Darren McGavin as a Chicago reporter.


          However, the episodic police detective show genre also makes a great set up for a Raconteur style Beyond the Grave campaign. Dragnet, both its original 1950s run and especially its 1967 - 1970 revival, is really great. Just replace the assorted criminals, hippies, and assorted weirdoes with vampires, Satanic cults, cursed antiques and the like. (The 1987 comedy film also works as a later version of this.) The show Adam-12 also works as a set up for a uniformed patrol car. Also Ironside, Columbo, Police Story, Joe Forrester, Police Woman, Hawaii 5-0, the early Dirty Harry movies, the French Connection, and Kojak. (I wish I knew more about British tv from this period, as I'm sure there's some good ones from that period that also work.)

          Variations include the Private Detective (Peter Gunn, The Rockford Files, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, 77 Sunset Strip, Shaft), the Medical Examiner (Quincy ME), and the Attorney (Perry Mason).

          You could easily assemble an entire collection of these people as a PC group, which would be pretty fun I think.
          Thanks. I had them mixed up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Using Scooby Doo as an example, Daphne, Fred and Welma are all Raconteur, while Shaggy is a Dupe and Scooby is a dog...

            Welma may be a Professor...


            House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              Using Scooby Doo as an example, Daphne, Fred and Welma are all Raconteur, while Shaggy is a Dupe and Scooby is a dog...

              Welma may be a Professor...
              Totally stealing it for my players as Archetypes example! And yes, I think Welma can totally be Professor.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-27-2020, 12:42 PM.


              My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

              Comment


              • #8
                If you use the more recent Scooby Doo series (yes, my son loves it, and I thing they are funny) Fred can be more like a Hunter than a Reconteur, with traps and gadgets and the need for the hunt (also trusting less on the reason and more on guts).


                House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                Comment


                • #9
                  Didn’t the original Scooby-Doo series come from the late Sixties and early Seventies? I’m not that old, but I used to watch Scooby all the time on Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That’s like the perfect silly show for TCFBTG.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Also, totally off topic, but there’s a book out called Meddling Kids that’s like a “serious” remake of Scooby-Doo (with Scooby as a Weimaraner). Saw it at Barnes and Noble last year.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        First Scooby Doo season was made in 1969. The one that I was referring for the “Hunter Fred” is the 2015-2018 version.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Cool,_Scooby-Doo!


                        House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                          Also, totally off topic, but there’s a book out called Meddling Kids that’s like a “serious” remake of Scooby-Doo (with Scooby as a Weimaraner). Saw it at Barnes and Noble last year.
                          I saw this book sometime ago too. Seams to be fun and written to adult people that watched Scooby when growing up, not sure if it’s openly a Scooby Doo novel or a homage to the “teen detectives” theme of several cartons of that time.


                          House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

                            I saw this book sometime ago too. Seams to be fun and written to adult people that watched Scooby when growing up, not sure if it’s openly a Scooby Doo novel or a homage to the “teen detectives” theme of several cartons of that time.
                            I think it’s a homage.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Meddling Kids is a great book, even if it is set a few decades too late for Beyond the Grave. It's a homage to/inspired by both Scooby Doo and The Famous Five series of kids mystery books. Four kids who used to hang out together during the summer and solve mysteries in the late 70s are now grown up in the 90s and go back to deal with their last mystery where they encountered something truly supernatural. (The entire thing is so 90s I'm honestly surprised it wasn't written 20 years ago.)
                              My absolute favorite thing about the book is the small Pacific Northwest town it's set in. It includes a crater lake that's supposed to be one of the deepest bodies of water in North America, a creepy ruined mansion built by an alleged immortal devil-worshiping ex-pirate, and an abandoned gold mine, among other things. I'd love to run a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game there, but it also seems like the sort of setting whose history would work beautifully for a period BtG adventure or three.

                              My all-time favorite iteration of Scooby Doo is the two season Mystery Incorporated series from 2010 - 2013, as it involves both a lot of interesting character development and an ongoing mysterious conspiracy that connects all of the real supernatural monsters the gang keep encountering in their home town.

                              Also a lot of fun are the two late 90s direct to video movies, Zombie Island and The Witch's Ghost.

                              Incidentally, the reporter/tv host version of Daphne that's been used off and on since the early 80s can be adapted pretty well into a Raconteur type character.


                              What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X