[Beyond the Grave] Dinner At Carl’s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Beyond the Grave] Dinner At Carl’s

In two weeks I will demo game of They Came From Beyond the Grave! ( BtG ) for my buddies. As we are just after start of Kickstarter, we only have KS preview manuscript – and we will not have full text of it. But, I’m proud backer of previous Beneath the Sea! ( BtS ) KS, so having corebook for this. Having BtS, I may run BtG with it’s Archetypes, Quips and Cinematics. I only would not have Monsters for BtG – and why this topic, where I prepare stuff for my story. Later, I may sum up how game went on.

Here is Trailer for our movie then… 😉

/Said in dead serious movie trailer voice/

THIS SUMMER. IN TECHNICOLOR. Director Karol Litwinhchuk presents…

DINNER AT CARL’S!

It’s 70s in England. No, EARLY 70s. Rainy, Saturday evening. Group of strangers were invited to old, Victorian estate, tens of miles from London The sea slashes ram the cliff on which the property is located. Their mysterious host – millionaire Karl Schmidt – announced in the invitation to give them all his fortune. Will they survive all night here? Will they survive...

DINNER AT CARL’S!
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-24-2020, 09:24 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

This sounds really cool 😊. But you might wanna wait till you read the whole manuscript?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
      But you might wanna wait till you read the whole manuscript?
      I have the Beneath the Sea game corebook, so I have, already, main rules and example Monsters. And I will run game, most probably, at August 8th. Till this day I should have also Quips & Cinematics from Beyond the Grave, as those are on the appropriate chapter in Beneath the Sea.

Dates from Beyond the Grave KS:
      • July 28: Character Creation, Skills & Attributes
      • August 4: The Storypath System and working with Cinematic Powers
      • August 11: Monsters and Setting
      • August 18: Directing and Scenarios
      Only Monsters I will not have, but those I can make myself, based on BtS examples.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-24-2020, 09:49 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

As it's obvious- in Dinner At Carl's - I will dwell into Old, Dark House trope - TVTropes wiki entry will nicely add to research on the story and possible Monsters for it...

LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Okay, let’s start with something simple, but crucial…

Carl Schmidt
          Carl is old occultist. He was member of Thule Society in Nazi Germany that somehow lived through the WW II unscarred. After war, he started some businesses in England that let him to sustain his family money. Now Carl is going to be precisely 66 years old in this fateful evening – it’s his birthday! For best possible gift from the fate he chosen to take new, younger body of one of his guests as his own. Rest of the guest are to be sacrificed in elaborated ritual of soul transfer in the time of this night. With the help of DEVIL HIMSELF!

Skills: Aim 2, Athletics 2, Close Combat 2, Culture 3, Empathy 2, Enigmas 2, Humanities 4, Integrity 4, Medicine 1, Persuasion 3, Science 1
          Attributes: Intellect 4, Cunning 3, Resolve 4;
          Might 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 1;
          Presence 2, Manipulation 4, Composure 3
          Health: 9 ( Sicked, old man )

Special Rules
          < To come – You can propose some. 😉>

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

This sounds really cool. I’m really excited about this Kickstarter.

Comment

NPCs

With Monsters and Setting preview for Beyond the Grave, here I propose main NPCs in story.

Carl Schmidt
              Carl is old occultist, with white goatee and hair. He was member of Thule Society in Nazi Germany that somehow lived through the WW II unscarred. After war, he started some businesses in England that let him to sustain his family money. Now Carl is going to be precisely 66 years old in this fateful evening – it’s his birthday! For best possible gift from the fate he chosen to take new, younger body of one of his guests as his own. Rest of the guest are to be sacrificed in elaborated ritual of soul transfer in the time of this night. With the help of DEVIL HIMSELF!
              Skills: Aim 2, Athletics 2, Close Combat 2, Culture 3, Empathy 2, Enigmas 2, Humanities 4, Integrity 4, Medicine 1, Persuasion 3, Science 1
              Attributes: Intellect 4, Cunning 3, Resolve 4; Might 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 1; Presence 2, Manipulation 4, Composure 3
              Health: 9 ( Sicked, old man )
              Special Rules
              Same as Devil Worshipper AND Warlock from Beyond the Grave preview

Igor – Butler

Hunchback butler and major domous of the manor.
              Stats – Same as Devil Worshipper from Beyond the Grave preview

Bellatrix – Maid

Sensual maid of Schmidt, with long, black hair and black heart.
              Stats – Same as Devil Worshipper from Beyond the Grave preview

EDIT: Added Warlock Special Rules for Carl, to his previous Devil Worshipper ones.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-14-2020, 03:41 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yesterday I run the my own ‘Dinner at Karl’s’ story with group of friends and my life partner. It was quickly made hodge podge of old manor, mysterious invite, forcing cake/brains to eat by guests, invisible threats and satanic rituals. 😂 Very absurdist and run ad hock. We set to use the Cinematics and Quips systems, so Players got twice the number of them Rewrites on the start and 7 Cinematics to choose from list, instead of general 5 by core rules. I also award good role play and sticking to convention of ‘bad horror movie’ by new Rewrites, instead Experience – as it was one-shot. Players by the end used most of them, but we felt they do not really need to generate them – they spent like about 10 Rewrites, but get back about 5 of them. My partner was most generating one the Rewrites by roleplaying and humor ( he was just sooo good at this 😉 ).

The other ‘problem’ ( kinda? ) we found was with no way to make new Quips in play – partner made great one-liners that where other than those from his sheet – and even deliver truly Award-Winning scene about it. ( With with water heaters, electrocution and satanic cultists 😁 ) I rolled with making it Award-Winning as it surly would be in trailer or Oscar nomination ceremony – but by the rules, he could not use it – as there where no the Quips from his sheet. 😞

After all – great one-shot system, maybe run it once again on Halloween – only Quips and Cinematics cards are MUST HAVE! I solved this by printing lists of Quips and Cinematics from manuscript preview - and players drew Quips by tossing a pen on them - but the cards of these powers would have made everything MUCH easier, in my opinion.
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-23-2020, 03:27 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                X