[Beyond the Grave] THE DEVIL HIMSELF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Beyond the Grave] THE DEVIL HIMSELF

Beyond the Grave use a lot allusions for THE DEVIL HIMSELF as ultimate antagonists and dark machinations origin in setting. THE DEVIL HIMSELF is to be often referenced in game. As such, I need to translate this phrase into Polish. So it can have two meanings ( and sound of ) in Polish:

1. THE SATAN HIMSELF! - 'SAMEGO SZATANA!' - from this Wikipedia article, it points that The Devil means often the The Adversary, Lucifer, Satan, etc. The highest of demons, or the fallen archangel commanding whole infernal hordes.
    2. Simple Devil in Polish - i.e. 'diabeł' - means the lower demon, the same as 'demon', 'bies', or 'czort' and generally, it very muddy term to translate.

By the sound of it, and gravity in text, I assume it should be version one, so - 'SAMEGO SZATANA!' - but even my partner that is English teacher is not sure here.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

You're right, it's definitely Satan the Adversary, the Prince of Darkness, not just some unspecified devil or demon. I don't think it's as important to directly translate "himself" so much as to make sure that whatever you say, it's melodramatic and trumped up and you can hear a scary organ musical sting after you say it, every time you say it.

Comment

Option 1 is the right one!

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Bonus points if he's "played" by Tom Ellis.

Comment

In my opinion, points can also be given if he is "played" by John Glover (Lionel Luthor of Smallville, among other roles) who does an excellent job on such roles, hehe.

Comment

I would also accept Robert DeNiro and Vincent Price.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
              Bonus points if he's "played" by Tom Ellis.
              Tom Ellis was born in 1978, so for early 70s horror movies, he was unfortunately unavailable yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Quatar View Post
                Tom Ellis was born in 1978, so for early 70s horror movies, he was unfortunately unavailable yet.
                Tom Ellis is Devil. Devil is immortal and all-powerful. Devil can be time traveler. Tom Ellis as Devil can be time traveler.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                  In my opinion, points can also be given if he is "played" by John Glover (Lionel Luthor of Smallville, among other roles) who does an excellent job on such roles, hehe.
                  He actually did play the Devil in Brimstone an excellent TV show from 1998-99 that was unfortunately cancelling after one really awesome season.

Another pretty good Devil was Ray Wise in Reaper.

And yet another one was Mark Pellegrino from Supernatural.
                  Last edited by johntfs; 08-04-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

We got the Monsters preview - and with it, stats for THE DEVIL HIMSELF! Is it only me, or The Prince of Darkness has rather lower stats? Beside Injuries being factors of 666 ( nice touch ) he max have 5 in Skills and Attributes, some even lower than that. It's... a bit surprising?

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

But THE DEVIL HIMSELF has Scale in all actions and many powers.
                      in Human for, Scale 2, in Goat form 3 and in full demon form scale 4.

Scale 4 HE can punch a skyscraper down, command an entire town, outrun any vehicle except ultrasonic ones.
                      Even HIS weak form is an scale of strength, leadership and resistance above humans at least.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                        But THE DEVIL HIMSELF has Scale in all actions and many powers.
                        in Human for, Scale 2, in Goat form 3 and in full demon form scale 4.

Scale 4 HE can punch a skyscraper down, command an entire town, outrun any vehicle except ultrasonic ones.
                        Even HIS weak form is an scale of strength, leadership and resistance above humans at least.
                        Could you remind me how this Scale compared to normal characters in weakest form should still work? Like, PCs are rolling Close Combat + Might with dicepool 4 and HE is rolling then...

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

10 dice (as most of the Skills are 5 and most of attributes are 5) and adding 2 successes per scale above 1 (1 is regular human).
                          For example, trying to seduce a person, HE would roll 10 (getting 3 successes, most of time) and gaining 2 free successes. His Average will be around 5 successes while the Regular person (rolling 4) will have 1 success on average, and even Don Juan de Marco, with 10 dice, will have an average of 3 successes.

If HE goes to full demon form, he will have 10 dice +6 free successes (average of 9 successes). But HIS scale is so above, that it’s treated as Overwhelming, basically, HE wins AND describe the result as wanted, like if a regular person was trying to push (not hit, push) a mouse.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                          X