Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Beyond the Grave] Die for the Devil ( Official Scenario )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Beyond the Grave] Die for the Devil ( Official Scenario )

So on this year Halloween, I want to prepare Beyond the Grave game for my friends as small party. Previous one, on my housewarming - Dinner at Carl's - was a blast for everyone. But it was made in time of BtG Kickstarter, so I did not have official scenarios. Now, for Halloween, I want to run 'real' BtG story, in vein of classical 1970s horrors. So here is topic for helping to prepare official '​Die for the Devil' scenario from corebook. Of course, it should help later Storyguides with running their takes on titular scenario. So let's have a SG prepare blast! I probably also sum-up how the game will went, after it.

Now, let's go to the meat...

How many, you think, Players can take part in Die for the Devil at once? As it's one-shot game that also part party, I need to estimate number of guests to invite. Will 6 Players will be too much to run it? Maybe 8 characters would be upper limit?

To be frank, I did only once run D&D game session for 8 people, years ago, and it was hectic. On the other hand, Beyond the Grave is very 'killable' setting for the PCs - so killing 2-3 characters in times of session - or maybe even ALL of them - would be in spirit of horror genere. As it is one-shot game in the end. Hmmm...
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-20-2020, 01:18 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I think 6 players is good. 8 would be too many. How long do you plan to game for?

Comment

I generally have a rule for game session time = number of players in hours. It looks like good estimation, for all the 20 years I run games.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-21-2020, 09:42 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I would stick to 6 players.

Comment

I mark it openly – I go into full text of Die for the Devil scenario, so from now on – treat topic as spoiler full, for Storyguides only. You read at your own risk!

Dramatis Personæ

I started to read the Die for the Devil write-up in Kickstarter preview – and I found it written very confusing, at least for me. I suspect it’s wordcount thing. The way it’s written makes it hard to understand, for the English as second language speaker as me. So here is much simpler sum up of characters in scenario and what they are in it.You can also point to me mistakes in my interpretations. I will update this post with new characters in the story in my reading.

The 1975 Cast

Frank Dixon – old farmer that is first victim of the Ada Chastain, i.e. Stalking Killer. His death starts the plot.

Mary Dixon – Frank’s widow is old, hysterical, and chattering. She could say anything, with the state she’s in now. But also, she knows things as local gossips.

Officer Charles “Charlie” Gates – Young and only officer in county looking into Frank’s death. He is real boy scout, but a bit fainthearted.

Chastains

The Chastains are the farm family on the end of the road. They look normal, but they are secret Witches covenant and Devil’s worshipers.

Ada Chastain – old looking and deformed ‘sister’ to Mandy, hiding in the barn . Ada is Stalking Killer.

Amanda “Mandy” Chastain – Mandy looks as beautiful young women ( circa 25 years old ) that is farm girl, with bent on occasional tour guiding. In reality, Mandy is centuries old Witch that is running the Chastain cult. She sustains charade that Joe and Ruth are her parents.

Joseph “Joe” Chastain – Another farmer, here playing he also is mechanic. ‘Father’ to Mandy.

Ruth Chastain – Ruth is wife to Joe and ‘mother’ to Mandy, playing perfect farm wife.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-24-2020, 12:56 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I prepared basic Trailer for the game - you can check if it looks good...

THIS SUMMER… IN TECHNICOLOR… Director Karol Litwinchuk presents…

DIE FOR THE DEVIL!

It’s summer of 1975. Group of friends from Ohio State University goes on road-trip across U.S. Midwest. But just at third day od the trip, their reliable Oldsmobile 88 die, somewhere in Iowa, middle of nowhere. Lost students go to the nearest human settlement – reluctant and full of superstitious small town Blackcorn. Will they live through confrontation with dark powers? Will they solve crime across ages? Will they…

DIE FOR THE DEVIL!
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I started to run this scenario on Halloween three days - but have problem with it. 'Die for the Devil' assumes that PCs are coming to Blackcorn near the midday. They show up on Chastains Farm showed by Mandy, walk a bit on it. And then there is plot empty. On the other hand, diner is important in the story - Mandy is 'spicing' green pea soup.

Probably it was a mistake on my part, but I let PCs to roam a bit on the farm terrain - and then let the diner be at the 3 P.M. - they were asking all the time for 'something to eat'. It ended with PCs only having very vague hints that Mandy maybe is witch - and not only New Age hobbist - and Chastains are probably cultists. But as PCs not explored anywhere outside the Farm, they do not know ANYTHING about Frank Dixon - outside session intro - or other characters and places involvement. Like preacher from burned church or the gas station manager lady. I just have Chastains plot and that's all.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the plot now - After eating spiced soup, characters lay to sleep and should have past life visions. The past lives could work on the neat build up, those extra scenes, but right now players suspect ( or, rather, are sure ) Chastains are cultists that make them harm. They will not say 'oh, we spiced your soups so you remember your lives'. Scenario as written assumes that Chastains in the sleep are taking PCs to cellar and try to sacrifice them make ritual to lift the cures from Mandy. Up to this moment, players are seeing 19th century past scenes and whole truth to the town. It's session finale, after resolving whole past life events scenes.

I suspect, I need to make game session short this way. We do not have many play hours in the game already - like maybe 4 hours in this weekend - and plot is already going for the final. PCs will have vivid dreams about their past lives that lead to burning of Chastains Sisters - but their past PCs will need to die then. When they awake in 1975, they will be bound by the Chastains. If they free themselves, maybe we will still have more time for them to explore settlement a bit - and find...
              THE DEVIL HIMSELF - in it!

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
              X