Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Beyond the Grave] They Came From Camp Murder Lake!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Beyond the Grave] They Came From Camp Murder Lake!

    New Beyond the Grave supplement was announced, about 80s Slashers flicks! 'They Came From Camp Murder Lake! This is the first sourcebook supplement for any of our They Came From…! game lines, and is a version of They Came From Beyond the Grave!. It’s just started in First Draft stage so I can’t spoil too much, but if you haven’t guessed, this is the sourcebook for playing in the 80s teen slasher flick genre.

    Meanwhile, Matthew and I have been playing with and finalizing ideas for the upcoming new They Came From…! game line for next year. During our Monday Meeting today, we got a fantastic idea from Eddy for the title of this one – which we really needed as Matthew and I just could not find the right words. It is a truly evocative title now, I gotta say! For those of you following along at home, this is not the Western genre one that has been batted around, as we decided that we needed a different approach for our third game in the series. As much as I love my Westerns.'

    Source - http://theonyxpath.com/demigod-demigone-monday-meeting-notes


    My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

  • #2
    The idea is a book with some rules in forms of Cinematics, Stunts and Quips to set the game in the Slasher feeling, and will have some setting, with no basic rules (last part is what I get from the supplement term). But so far that’s all I know.


    House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

    Comment


    • #3
      I was pretty happy with my title (which is not Camp Murder Lake -- that was all Matthew).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
        I was pretty happy with my title (which is not Camp Murder Lake -- that was all Matthew).
        What was your title? *pretending I don’t know it’s a book that is not in the list yet*


        House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

        Comment


        • #5
          They Came from [REDACTED]!

          Comment


          • #6
            This book must be mine.

            So, interestingly, there's kind of two phases of the slasher genre. The first is totally human killers - the first five Friday the 13th films, the first two Halloweens, and the numerous films that copied them (and arguably back as far as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or even Psycho) - while the second wave is largely supernatural killer monsters - Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th with part six and beyond, Childs Play, etc. IIRC, @1984, with the release of Nightmare on Elm Street, was the main dividing line.
            Strangely, I find myself wanting to try using this to try and do something where you take the supernatural killer concept and adjust it to 1970s technicolor gothic sensibilities. Like if there were an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker where he's investigating something akin to Michael Myers and discovers there's a Satanic cult behind it all. Sort of like Halloween part 6 if it were only mildly campy rather than just flat out terrible. Or if the original Friday the 13th was set in the mid 70s and the plot was "woman uses the Necronomicon to raise her drowned child from the dead and have him kill the camp staff."


            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              This book must be mine.

              So, interestingly, there's kind of two phases of the slasher genre. The first is totally human killers - the first five Friday the 13th films, the first two Halloweens, and the numerous films that copied them (and arguably back as far as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or even Psycho) - while the second wave is largely supernatural killer monsters - Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th with part six and beyond, Childs Play, etc. IIRC, @1984, with the release of Nightmare on Elm Street, was the main dividing line.
              Strangely, I find myself wanting to try using this to try and do something where you take the supernatural killer concept and adjust it to 1970s technicolor gothic sensibilities. Like if there were an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker where he's investigating something akin to Michael Myers and discovers there's a Satanic cult behind it all. Sort of like Halloween part 6 if it were only mildly campy rather than just flat out terrible. Or if the original Friday the 13th was set in the mid 70s and the plot was "woman uses the Necronomicon to raise her drowned child from the dead and have him kill the camp staff."
              This actually sounds really cool. I can’t wait to read the Kickstarter.


              “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                This book must be mine.

                So, interestingly, there's kind of two phases of the slasher genre. The first is totally human killers - the first five Friday the 13th films, the first two Halloweens, and the numerous films that copied them (and arguably back as far as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or even Psycho) - while the second wave is largely supernatural killer monsters - Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th with part six and beyond, Childs Play, etc. IIRC, @1984, with the release of Nightmare on Elm Street, was the main dividing line.
                Strangely, I find myself wanting to try using this to try and do something where you take the supernatural killer concept and adjust it to 1970s technicolor gothic sensibilities. Like if there were an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker where he's investigating something akin to Michael Myers and discovers there's a Satanic cult behind it all. Sort of like Halloween part 6 if it were only mildly campy rather than just flat out terrible. Or if the original Friday the 13th was set in the mid 70s and the plot was "woman uses the Necronomicon to raise her drowned child from the dead and have him kill the camp staff."
                Not just su[ernatural monsters but some sci-fi ones as well. Chopping Mall is a 80s slasher that the killers are robots. Same with The Terminator were the killer is robot disguised as a human.
                Also a cool suppliment would be like the rock and roll horror films from the 80s stuff like black roses, The Gate(kinda), Hack-o-lantern. really that 80s camp stuff.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Penelope View Post

                  This actually sounds really cool. I can’t wait to read the Kickstarter.
                  Not going to be in KS. its not an independent book, its a supplement to the TCF line, requiring the other books to play.


                  House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                    Not just su[ernatural monsters but some sci-fi ones as well. Chopping Mall is a 80s slasher that the killers are robots. Same with The Terminator were the killer is robot disguised as a human.
                    Also a cool suppliment would be like the rock and roll horror films from the 80s stuff like black roses, The Gate(kinda), Hack-o-lantern. really that 80s camp stuff.
                    Structurally, Alien is a slasher film in space. (Aliens is a zombie film.)

                    As for rock n roll horror, 1986's Trick or Treat is a wonderful bit of period shlock with a dead rocker returning to kill people after his last album is played backwards. The backward record thing really, really needs to be a part of any Beyond the Grave book about the 80s.


                    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mateus Luz thanks

                      No One of Consequence didn’t a lot of black metal bands do the backward lyrics thing?


                      “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                        Mateus Luz thanks

                        No One of Consequence didn’t a lot of black metal bands do the backward lyrics thing?
                        Only a few bands did that and most weren't metal bands. Queen did it for Another one Bites the Dust. It says "some of us smoke maraijuna."

                        The whole backwards satan thing was from the Satanic Panic and mostly concerned Judas Priest. When testifying they famously said "if we had hidden messages in our song they would say buy more records"

                        But alot of movies in the 80s kinda ran with it for their campy b movies.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                          Only a few bands did that and most weren't metal bands. Queen did it for Another one Bites the Dust. It says "some of us smoke maraijuna."

                          The whole backwards satan thing was from the Satanic Panic and mostly concerned Judas Priest. When testifying they famously said "if we had hidden messages in our song they would say buy more records"

                          But alot of movies in the 80s kinda ran with it for their campy b movies.
                          Thanks. Judas Priest is a cool band. My friend told me Rob Halford’s voice can shatter glass.

                          And was smoking weed that big of a deal back then that they had to hide it in a backwards message?

                          Anyway, I agree with you. I think that’d be a great idea to include in They Came From Camp Murder Lake!
                          Last edited by Penelope; 10-01-2020, 07:13 AM.


                          “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Penelope View Post

                            Thanks. Judas Priest is a cool band. My friend told me Rob Halford’s voice can shatter glass.

                            And was smoking weed that big of a deal back then that they had to hide it in a backwards message?

                            Anyway, I agree with you. I think that’d be a great idea to include in They Came From Camp Murder Lake!
                            I mean smoking pot back then was frowned upon but I think they meant it more as a joke then anything else.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Got it. Thanks.


                              “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X