[They Came From Beneath the Sea] ...but on dry land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [They Came From Beneath the Sea] ...but on dry land

I am very tempted to take advantage of the current DriveThruRPG premium book sale to pick up They Came From Beneath the Sea. I am interested in the 1950s sci-fi genre it is indulging in, but I am specifically interested in the desert-based setting of the classic Them! (or the old video game It Came From The Desert).
    How much work would be involved in divorcing the game from it's watery default setting? Is is simply a reskinning of some enemies, or are there lots of character options relating to the sea that would need to be altered also?

You'll be fine from the player character side of things. Where you'll need to do some work is the antagonist side of things. Pretty much all the monsters in the book are water-themed. You should be able to do some re-skinning, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyBloke View Post
      I am very tempted to take advantage of the current DriveThruRPG premium book sale to pick up They Came From Beneath the Sea. I am interested in the 1950s sci-fi genre it is indulging in, but I am specifically interested in the desert-based setting of the classic Them! (or the old video game It Came From The Desert).
      How much work would be involved in divorcing the game from it's watery default setting? Is is simply a reskinning of some enemies, or are there lots of character options relating to the sea that would need to be altered also?
      As mentioned above, the playable options are fine, and the core rules work perfectly well whether at sea, on land, or in space. Plenty of the antagonists are adaptable to land-based threats as well. Just make the gillfolk sandfolk and the werelobster a werescorpion. All very easy.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Great to know, thanks for the information both. Knowing that this is pretty easily expandable puts any fears I have to rest. Sold!
        I now regret missing out on the They Came From Beyond The Grave kickstarter, mostly because They Came From Camp Murder Lake is right in my wheelhouse. I guess I'll look to grab it on release.

Comment

You can pre-order Grave! if you want to here: https://they-came-from-beyond-the-gr...sted_preorders

Comment

So, They Came From Beneath the Sand, you say?
            No problem, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              So, They Came From Beneath the Sand, you say?
              No problem, afaik.
              Tremors is an all-time classic, but I think my direct inspiration came from this classic (well, classic to me) video game from my childhood. Funnily enough, while searching for that video I found a recent film with the same name I'll need to check out.
              I am of course aware that game is inspired (very closely) by Them! from 1954, which I see is listed in the inspiration section of They Came From Beneath the Sea, so I guess it's not going to be too much of a stretch.
              Last edited by MonkeyBloke; 06-26-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyBloke View Post
                Tremors is an all-time classic, but I think my direct inspiration came from this classic (well, classic to me) video game from my childhood. Funnily enough, while searching for that video I found a recent film with the same name I'll need to check out.
                I am of course aware that game is inspired (very closely) by Them! from 1954, which I see is listed in the inspiration section of They Came From Beneath the Sea, so I guess it's not going to be too much of a stretch.

Room for all in a session - or season - i think. Space for all of them and then some in the land down under.

Comment

Honestly, I think you could very easily do enough stuff about Beneath the Sea set on dry land, especially the desert or scrubland, to make a good sized sourcebook (official or Nexus). Giant ants and Gila monsters, grabboid worms, animated dinosaur fossils, Roswell aliens, were-coyotes, snake people, weird cults, desert kaiju, and so forth. Plus all the appropriate environmental rules, a run down of the various deserts around the globe, and whatever else seems appropriate.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                  X