Pugmire Story Hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pugmire Story Hooks

So I noticed no one has posted anything here.

Well I'm pretty damn excited for both Pugmire and CoM, but I'd like to come up with story hooks for Pugmire in specific.

I'm really excited to see what can happen with this. I know we don't really have a lot of information but I think we do have a bit of insight into what their world is like.

so without further ado and in full awareness of how some of this may not even be supported, here's one of my ideas:

It has been taught that the world has always had a class between good and evil. There has always been a clash between what one must, and what one can.

What isn't readily taught however is how closely those are linked. How the walk towards malice can be covered by good intentions if only your paws could tell the difference.

Long ago, the gods wielded a powerful magic that ensured the obeisance of our kind. Some say that it is through teaching our ancestors the Code of Man. Others say it is a more literal magic that commanded us.

While the latter is usually scoffed at, there is always the scary fear that while we all can and should be good dogs. But are we good dogs due to our own will?

They say that someone has found a relic to wield the magic of the past. It is up to the player's characters to quest for and destroy this artifact and prove that we all are good dogs by our own merit and that our loyalty does not have to be commanded.

+++

(in game terms, someone has found a "Shock Collar" and it's up to the players to find and bury it to prove that the Code of Man is the only needed tool for one to be a Good Dog.

(not to anyone especially a dev, sorry if none of this makes sense in the game ^.^; I tend to let my imagination run wild.)

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
    ...They say that someone has found a relic to wield the magic of the past. It is up to the player's characters to quest for and destroy this artifact and prove that we all are good dogs by our own merit and that our loyalty does not have to be commanded.

+++

(in game terms, someone has found a "Shock Collar" and it's up to the players to find and bury it to prove that the Code of Man is the only needed tool for one to be a Good Dog.
    I like this one a lot! It's a nice delve into the kind of weighty questions that I think the designer hopes the game will explore.

Here's mine:

One of the most frustrating duties of Dogs in the age of Man was obeying the command to be silent when certain threatening-seeing intruders came by. One of these was the Mailman, a regularly appearing trespasser who Man regarded, for some reason, as important enough to demand that Dogs stay their warnings, threats and attacks. It was hard, very hard, but most dogs tried to obey, and be Good.

Now, Man is gone. But despite his absence, Dogs have learned what the Mailman was: a carrier of messages, linking faraway people despite their distance. This knowledge has shaken many Dogs, for they now understand that the Mailman who they used to bark at, telling them to go away and go back to their own home, had no home to return to. Even worse, the Mailman was just doing his duty, a duty Man depended on him to do.

In many ways, the hated Mailman was just trying to be a Good Dog.

The question arises: Man is gone, but are the things he felt were important, still important? And if so, should Dog emulate the Mailman? Barking can connect faraway Dogs, but it can't deliver stomach-soothing sweetgrass from where it is common to where it is scarce. Nor can it present a treasured Toy from one Dog to a distant ally. And it certainly can't bring the Tags of a fallen warrior home to his bitch and their pups.

But maybe a new Mailman...a Mail-Dog...might be the way to keep alive an important memory of Man, and to make amends for so much unwarranted hatred.

(Yes, it's the Last Postman, but Costner-free, and more in tune with Brin's book than the movie. The dogs attempt to form a regular mail/small package delivery service in an area both hazardous and very much in need of such a thing.)

Comment

there's this comic it's by Garth Ennis it's called Red Rover Charlie be warned its by Garth Ennis so it's incredibly fucked up and the moral of the story is probably a bit antithetical to how things are in Pugmire, but its still a great source of inspiration.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

So I noticed no one has posted anything here.
        It only just went up, I think. :P

------------------------------------

There is a legend, a relic that is said to possess more information on mankind than a thousand libraries can hold on their shelves. From what we've gleamed through ancient texts, it appears to be called the internet. We dogs don't know how a net is supposed to contain any kind of information, but of course, man was truly great in ancient times. After decades of searching, we believe we have found the final resting place of the data base. Now we just need a team to excavate it and figure out how it works.

---------------------------

Anyone else think the dog priesthood would explode if they spent 10 minutes on the human internet?
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-02-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

(not to anyone especially a dev, sorry if none of this makes sense in the game ^.^; I tend to let my imagination run wild.)
          Feel free to have fun thinking of cool ideas!

Comment

Man was good. Man was teaching us to be Good dogs. Man was guarding us as much as we guarded them. That's why we need to hide the heresy that is this notebook. Man would never wage on duels between Good dogs. Man would never force Good dogs to fight to the death for their own amusement...

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
            Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
            Keywords: Mute
            Duration: Instant
            Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

It sounds like Pugmire will have all kinds of hilarious possibilities. Well, hilarious to us, but very serious to the characters.

-----------------------------------

The Vack-Oom, it's just a story told to young pups who are less than enthusiastic about being good dogs. "Be good, or the Vack-Oom will come for you!" your parents used to say.

Well unfortunately for you, the Vack-Oom is very much real. You encountered it during your last dive into the ruins. It scuttled about the floor, feasting on the debris and refuse that piled up over the centuries. It's belly roaring with a never ending hunger. But the worst part was those eyes, those dead, soulless eyes that wiggled around in search of prey. It wasn't until you were back outside and panting for dear life that you realized you failed to retrieve the artifact you were after. You have to go back, you have to be a Good Dog!

--------------------------

Basically the dog encounters an ancient Hoover that some human glued a pair of googly eyes to!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                Anyone else think the dog priesthood would explode if they spent 10 minutes on the human internet?
                Soooo many lolcats....

-------------------------

You've been exposed to...something. During your last expedition into the ruins, you found an artifact of Man: a wondrous-looking contraption that had a large chamber in its middle. When you stepped inside to examine it, it did something to you. You're not sure what. It's all a blur. But when the door finally opened again and you stepped out on shaking legs, you felt wrong. Wrongness wraps you up like a blanket. You smell like something so foreign you don't even have words for it. Your fur doesn't feel like your fur anymore. What has happened to you?

(Somebody had a bath.)
                Last edited by Daydreamer; 09-04-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

"THE AGE OF MAN IS LONG DEAD! LET DOG LIVE FOR DOGKIND!"

In this new age, there are good dogs and there are bad dogs. But how does one approach a Bad Dog, who proclaims himself as Good?
                  A burgeoning group of apostates has formed in the nearby area, preaching long and hard against the worship and preservation of the memory of man, Claiming that Man was a mad beast that abused and exploited all dogs, good or bad. That they were culpable for their own end. That Dog should live for none other than their own kind, and not the memory of their long dead enslavers. Taboo after taboo agains the Code of Man is broken by these "Unleashed."

It would be simple enough if that was all, however they also preach a general policy of generosity, loyalty and altruism toward their fellow dog, sometimes going above and beyond the demands of the Code. Despite this, there is friction forming between them and the more hardline of mainstream followers of the Code of Man, as more fights break out it's up to you to decide how to proceed next. Can these two belief systems coexist? Should they?
                  Last edited by The Revenge of TV Head; 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Somewhere, out in the wilderness beyond the reach of Pugmire and the Hound lands, there is a dog called Ladroo. Dogs and other creatures travel many miles to see him, and to hear him preach. If you look in the right places you can find dogs who knew him before he started speaking to crowds. He was a beggar then, a miserable and lonely creature who lived off the pity of others and unable to work for himself because he was a cripple.

He was a cripple.

Not long ago, Ladroo went missing for a time, and he reappeared as able-bodied as the fittest guardian. He says that Man made him whole again, and wherever he goes he gives sermons to any who will listen about Their abiding love for those who have inherited Their world. He teaches a variation of the Code of Man--"variation" being the polite word for it. The Church calls it heresy of the lowest sort and the aristocracy agree.

Ladroo, you see, is a mutt. The claim--the brazen LIE--that the Hand That Feeds would bestow such a blessing upon a mongrel has whipped the hardliners into a frenzy. They want him permanently silenced, by any means.

-------------------------------

Raids by marauding badgers and other mustelids (weasel relatives) have always been a problem, but now they're a full-blown crisis. Reports pour in from the frontier speaking of hordes of unprecedented size and ferocity--these marauders fight like they don't even know what death is. Witnesses describe their state as nearly mindless insanity. Every dispatch brings worse news than the one before.

An acquaintance of yours, a ferret, goes missing one day. Concerned that she's hiding from reactionaries, you search for her. But you don't find her--she finds you. She attacks you with a raging bloodlust in her eyes. You have no choice but to fight her, and you win. In her final moments, she becomes lucid again. She sobs, "I'm so sorry. I couldn't stop myself. The voice...I couldn't shut out the voice...it kept whispering...screams, so many screams..."
                    Last edited by Daydreamer; 09-05-2015, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post

Soooo many lolcats....

Not to mention the collective insanity of all Mankind. That would probably topple their religious organization.

----------------------------------

The clergy can scarcely believe what they've found. During one of their many archaeological digs, they uncovered decaying records attributed to dogs during the time of man. From what they've been able to preserve and translate, these dogs were so good, so devoted to the code of man, that they were praised by millions for their deeds of service. Truly these dogs could be nothing less than saints and all good dogs should strive to follow their example. We've only been able to translate a few names; Lassie, Air Bud, Old Yeller. The records were too worn out to get anything more concrete from them.

That is until they found a passage hinting at the possible location of more records, and a device that would allow others to witness their deeds first hand. The search is on to find the ruins of this 'theater' and see what it truly means to be a good dog!

Comment

Many dogs know tales of the "Sticks-That-Bark", the great weapons of man. With a flash and a roar, these weapons could slay even the greatest warriors with a single blow. None of these weapons have been found to date, and even then, they would be best preserved as relics instead of being profaned by use. Except a group of Bad Dogs on the outskirts of the kingdom don't care. They've found an ancient fortress of Man, and a number of Sticks-That-Bark with it. They've used these holy relics to plunder and pillage, claiming dominion over a growing territory. Even worse, rumors whisper that their leader, a mad but cunning ex-priest, has been directing his fellows towards other sites of Man in search of truly holy secrets. He doesn't want to find more Sticks. No, he wants to make more.
                        --------------------------
                        So yeah, a bunch of thugs discover some guns and ammo and decide they want to take over. If they aren't stopped, they might be able to outfit enough Dogs to actually stage a coup. It's up to the party to stop these fools from using the remnants of Man for evil!
                        [Did I do it right?]

Comment

Originally posted by 39Steps View Post
                          In many ways, the hated Mailman was just trying to be a Good Dog.
                          I love this. I am imagining a scenario where being a Mail-Dog is an almost religious job. A job that gets the dog a lot of gate and must suffer the ire of nearly everyone in order to fulfill a function that most only appreciate once the Mail-dog has left.I really like that.

Now for another idea.

+++

They call it The Challenge. Every dog knows it. It's that silent understanding that when two dogs clash in personality there must be a test to prove the Goodness of one Dog over the other.

It used to be that The Challenge was always physical and getting hurt was commonplace. Now-a-days any number of tests can be included in The Challenge.

These tests have become so widespread that there has arose a series of challenges that any dog can enter with only one dog able to win. They call this The Dog Park after an old antiquated place where challenges were commonplace. The winner of The Dog Park is widely celebrated as a Good Dog and is called upon for many duties that a really Good Dog would be needed.

There are some circles that disagree with the whole practice of The Dog Park. They say that winning any number of challenges does not a Good Dog make and such a spectacle veers dog away from the path to truly being a Good Dog.

The Challenges are almost on us now. What kind of problems will these nay-sayers provide this year?

+++

I kind of like the idea of a yearly contest, similar to the Olympics, based off of how dogs fight each other a lot.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

I love all of these!
                            +++

In the Days of Man, Good Dogs were often called upon to help Man hunt down the wretched Foxes. They are born Bad Dogs and must be hunted down per the ancient traditions of Man. Good dogs despise and fight them wherever they are found. However, an envoy from their Feudal-State has arrived claiming that the Foxes have found evidence from the time of Man, that Foxes and Dogs could be friends. That Foxes are not inherently Bad Dogs. They ask a meeting of leadership to review the evidence and maybe work toward peace. Proponents of the Code of Man decry these peace talks as blasphemy and trickery. That the Foxes are Bad Dogs and will lead others down their path! They call for a final war to end the wretched Foxes once and for all when they show up to these peace talks. Who can be believed? And which way would a true Good Dog lean?

+++
                            Basically a fox found a copy of the Fox and Hound and is using it to try and bring the two groups together. I imagine they would all freak when it was revealed that Man was trying to domesticate Foxes at one point.

Comment

I'm a bit shocked that no one has mentioned the most hideous of all rodents- the squirrel:
                              It is whispered that in the time of Man there existed one truly evil squirrel could fly and was accompanied by a strange moose together they terrorized two Man. Now rumors have reached the city far away on the edge of the kingdom of rats allied with squirrels...

Comment

Working...
                              X