Why Cavaliers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Cavaliers?

Rose, what was it that made you want to make a game about Cavaliers? Why on Mars?

Did you watch The Princess Bride one time too many? Had fond memories of a game of 7th Sea? Read some inspiring description of the landscapes on Mars?

What spurred the project?

As I understand it, the seed of inspiration was "well if Mars has canals, it must have had Venice!" Beyond that, there's some definite Edgar Rice Burroughs influence, but with the twist of being more rapier and doublet than gladius and sandals.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarii View Post
      Rose, what was it that made you want to make a game about Cavaliers? Why on Mars?

Did you watch The Princess Bride one time too many? Had fond memories of a game of 7th Sea? Read some inspiring description of the landscapes on Mars?

What spurred the project?
      That's really hard to say. The basic aesthetic of the setting came to me all at once when I was brainstorming for a game to run with my friends over Thanksgiving weekend. Here's the "trailer" I sent them:

[sound of howling wind]

On a world beyond time

[zooming across a landscape of red sand]

In a land beyond the desert

[shifting, zooming along a canal]

In a city without compassion

[the ziggurat looms in the distance, the sprawl of the city rushes by below us as we zoom in on its top]

[we settle and circle on a priest atop the ziggurat. his clothes are yellow silk, but he’s showing plenty of muscled, shining skin. his head is unnaturally oval. he’s covered in tattoos and ritual paint designs, and stands with a wicked knife over a silent-screaming sacrificial victim]

[closeup on the victim’s face]

[shots of the shouting crowd, eager for blood]

[close on the knife, then on the roaring priest as he stabs it downwards]

[lock on the knife as it stabs downward — and is blocked by a rapier shining in the martian noon — sparks flying from the impact]

[close on the face of a man with a beard and an extravagant hat. he’s holding the rapier]

[music with a pumping drumbeat kicks in]

[another scene of the swordsman in the hat, this time walking through a crowd of ragged but stylish people that parts like the red sea. he’s got a babe in one arm and a flintlock laser pistol in the other]

[cut to a hover chariot racing through the desert. a woman on a mechanical horse pulls even with it. she aims and fires a flintlaser. the chariot spins, flips over, cut to the woman’s horse rearing over the driver]

Die for honor

[the bearded swordsman plummeting from a great height]

[a gorilla artillery man firing a howitzer at figures mounted on flying beasts]

[the bearded man pulling a dancing girl to him by the waist]

Live for everything

[silhouetted figures duelling with swords on a telegraph wire above the city]

[the gunslinger girl crushing a guy’s mouth to hers]
      Cavaliers of Mars
      Around the same time, I was reading Royal Flash and Captain Alatriste, and the swashbuckling vibe really got into my head. Once I had the notion of swords in search of adventure, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser and Gentlemen of the Road came into the picture. And obviously if I'm writing about a dying world, I'm going to look to Jack Vance's first two Dying Earth collections.

Where did the name "Cavaliers" come from? I actually have no idea. It just sort of fit, and as soon as I thought of it, I knew what I wanted to do with the cavaliers in the setting.

And Mars? I just like Mars a lot. The landscape is beautiful, and it's hard not to think what it would look like traced by canals and dotted with cities.

I wrote part of a short story called "A Thief of Mars" shortly thereafter, which nailed down a few particulars of the setting. I also had an RPGnet thread going for a bit where I brainstormed things like some of the careers and cities. And from there on, it took on a life of its own.

Rose Bailey
      Onyx Path Development Producer
      Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Given the similar concepts, is it safe to assume you also drew inspiration from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Warlord of Mars books?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
        Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
          Given the similar concepts, is it safe to assume you also drew inspiration from Edgar Rice Burroughs' Warlord of Mars books?
          There are some clear love letters to Burroughs in the game. Among other things, the wealth of exotic beasts are inspired by Burroughs and Vance. But the setting and tone more closely follow the generation of planetary romance writers who followed in Burroughs' footsteps. Specifically, Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark adventures ("Black Amazon of Mars," "The Secret of Sinharat," The Ginger Star, etc) better capture the atmosphere of our Mars.

(Read those if you haven't, they're amazing.)

Rose Bailey

Comment

Swashbuckling is an odd genre for me. My only real exposure to it is through 7th Sea and when I play that I keep focusing in on Germany in the 30 Years War and the monsters in the forests and dark places and spectacularly missing the point...

And the Princess Bride but that's meant to be a send up of the Genre.

Did you end up running your game over Thanksgiving? Do you feel the ideas have evolved away from your initial inspiration or has it kept fairly (flint)laser focused?

Comment

There is always the three musketeers, and if you are looking at games flashing blades, honor + intrigue and my personal favorite All for one: Regime Dioblique(aka musketeers as a hunter organization basically)

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post

There are some clear love letters to Burroughs in the game. Among other things, the wealth of exotic beasts are inspired by Burroughs and Vance. But the setting and tone more closely follow the generation of planetary romance writers who followed in Burroughs' footsteps. Specifically, Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark adventures ("Black Amazon of Mars," "The Secret of Sinharat," The Ginger Star, etc) better capture the atmosphere of our Mars.

(Read those if you haven't, they're amazing.)
                I surely will!

I've been on something of a classics kick in the pulp fantasy genre of late. Just picked up a pretty good compilation of the original Conan stories. Got my eye on a compilation of the first five Warlord of Mars books. I'll add these titles to my list as well.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarii View Post
                  Did you end up running your game over Thanksgiving? Do you feel the ideas have evolved away from your initial inspiration or has it kept fairly (flint)laser focused?
                  I did, and although a lot of the basic ethos and aesthetic has remained the same, the setting's developed a lot. I've found more literary inspiration, I've brought in a writer who does better creatures than me, and instead of the two city-states I had in my initial conception, I've now got I think 15.

When I think of movie swashbuckling, I think movies with Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn. Those are the flashy side of Cavaliers. Then you've got the Alatriste novels which are sort of the hardboiled side of swashbuckling, and Gentlemen of the Road which is very much in the wandering swords genre. And then to just go in a completely out there direction, you've got The Manuscript Found in Saragossa and Dictionary of the Khazars.

Really, if there's honor or cunning, intrigue or swords, I'm there.

Rose Bailey

Comment

Do you plan on including more sci-fi style things or is it mostly just Renaissance/Fantasy with a sci-fi veneer?

I.e.: would we be seeing stories about hacking computer networks from a remote data tap or would the Cavaliers style thief approach a door and take out their clockmakers kit to twiddle with brass springs and cogs to unlock the countess's fiendish trap?

I once heard someone describe Swashbuckling as Western Wuxia, which I thought was pretty apt. Fairly free spirited/minded individuals with their personal codes and ethics making their way through a world of high action and conflict arising from their beliefs and lifestyles. Though, less of the rebellion against authority streak.

Oh, one more mechanically minded question. Is armour relevant? It's something that has always annoyed me about 7th Sea. No one wears armour (except the magic stuff) because apparently guns made it obsolete. Despite the game focusing around sword duels. Oh. And small stuff like armoured knights with pistols fighting in caracolle being you know...kind of a thing.

So, can I have a Cavalier on a steel horse with a carbine and pistols wearing gleaming cuirass ride into the martian sunset and have it mean something?

Comment

The game includes a career called Fixer, which is someone who makes/repairs/modifies mechanical wonders. These are generally one-offs; the Arbiter's telescope in Zodiac is one of a kind... if you really want one, you should track down the Fixer's last surviving apprentice, who by the way is in trouble with a polar ice merchant...

There's no network hacking. Most of the Big Sci-Fi elements are in the past of the setting, with the modern day being Renaissance with glimmers of greater things created by this generation's geniuses.

Currently, armor is a thing which exists in the setting, but there's no mechanical benefit for it. That might change based on playtesting, but in the game right now gear is really important for what it enables you to do (my glass knife poisons people) than adding to or reducing damage.

Rose Bailey

Comment

How is the Wushu System? I am not quite familar with it myself, but I am curious in new systems particularly rules lite ones.

Comment

So so so...Alexander Dumas in space?

I'm game!

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
                            So so so...Alexander Dumas in space?

I'm game!

Well... on Mars... which is no more "in space" than "on Earth" is... technically speaking.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Well... on Mars... which is no more "in space" than "on Earth" is... technically speaking.
                              You're assuming we're not going to accidentally commandeer a dilapidated rocket and go tearing off into the exosphere.

This is a mistake.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X