No announcement yet.

Why Cavaliers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not read a whole heap about CoM so far, but what little I have sounds a bit like Fading Suns? Only redder, drier and dustier? I have never read any, as far as I can tell, of the novels etc mentioned through this thread as inspirational/source material

Likely seen as a sin by others, but I generally only read RPGs these days, my days of slogging through novels is past I think as I tend to get a bit into them and find something to hate/that makes no sense etc; I find most novels and even short stories so boring and very dry. As a child I read voraciously, often stuff I shouldn't read, but none of it fantasy/sci-fantasy. Mostly straight up sci-fi, horror or comedic stuff.

Will a knowledge of Fading Suns and historical texts fare me well in the CoM?

Comment

It's not much like Fading Suns. Have you ever seen Captain Blood or The Adventures of Don Juan, both starring Errol Flynn? It's more like those, although the setting itself is much weirder.

You shouldn't really need a background in the inspirational material to enjoy the game, though. It's very up-front about what the setting's like and what you do with it.

Rose Bailey
      Onyx Path Development Producer
      Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
        It's not much like Fading Suns. Have you ever seen Captain Blood or The Adventures of Don Juan, both starring Errol Flynn? It's more like those, although the setting itself is much weirder.

You shouldn't really need a background in the inspirational material to enjoy the game, though. It's very up-front about what the setting's like and what you do with it.
        After I posted the above I pondered, momentarily, my love of books in my youth and started a thread on RPG.net about inspirational materials and the lists that get dropped into most RPGs. 99% of the time I don't think I've even heard of the authors let alone the actual works .... so I'm going to remedy that.

Not seen either of the Errol Flynn movies (Bit old-school for my normal tastes, i tend to stick the 90's and more present stuff for films - I'm a heathen I know!). But ... again it can't hurt to expand my horizons and get out of the rut of horror/zombie/kids/big-budget-eye-candy type movies I normally stick too. I'll keep en eye out for DVDs on ebay!

So glad I got a tablet a few months back. All my RPGs in one place and now a growing list (And small collection) of novels/shorts and articles to read.

I shall follow CoM development eagerly. Really interested as to what happened to Earth/on Earth whilst Mars was colonised etc.

Comment

Where does the setting fall by default on cynicism v. optimism? On the one hand a lot of the talk of the NPCs makes me think of something dark and gritty and tragic in a pulp fantasy mold, but the talk of PCs makes me think fighting for truth and love and justice. Somewhere in between probably?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicias View Post
            Where does the setting fall by default on cynicism v. optimism? On the one hand a lot of the talk of the NPCs makes me think of something dark and gritty and tragic in a pulp fantasy mold, but the talk of PCs makes me think fighting for truth and love and justice. Somewhere in between probably?
            It's a mix. The actual backdrop of the game can get pretty tragic. But there's also life and color and romance for the PCs to get mixed up in. The plot hooks reflect this blend, with some dark undertones and some reckless adventure.

If you look at the Apprentice from "The Apprentice's Tale," she's a woman very conscious of the coming end of the world, in large part because as she writes it she's just lost her father figure. But then if you turn around and read "Two Swords of Mars," you have two characters reveling in life on the razor's edge.

Rose Bailey
            Onyx Path Development Producer
            Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

I think that is one of the strengths of the game. Mars' trajectory is a dramatic, tragic one but there is still a great deal of life left on the planet, burning bright.

The Forum Member Also Known as "Mike Holland"

Comment

Working...
              X