Green or Pales?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green or Pales?

I just noticed that the "People of Mars" blog post on the Onyx Path site, and the one on fantasyheartbreaker have this notable difference. The former refers to the giants of the wastelands as the Pale Martians. The latter refers to them as the Green Martians. It's the same text otherwise, so it's not two different groups. I'm assuming the OP site version, being more recent is the up to date version, but it's an interesting shift to note. Were the Greens too overtly Edgar Rice Boroughs-y?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Ah, Greens was a typo. We ended up going a direction with them that made the Burroughs comparison undesirable. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rose Bailey
    Onyx Path Development Producer
    Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

aww I like green skined creatures :P

Comment

So its not a reference to the DCU's white and green martians. OK.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
          So its not a reference to the DCU's white and green martians. OK.
          DC's colored Martian groups were referencing Burroughs.

Comment

I was looking at some other Mars rpgs - I had not realized the degree to which Burroughs had had such a Tolkien-esq effect on codifying the races of the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by herkles View Post
              aww I like green skined creatures :P
              I was just thinking - perhaps the Cydonian monument builders, the First Martians that both the Reds and Pales claim descent from, were the Greens.

It would make more sense for green skin to develop on the verdant oceanic world of Old Mars than the current canal-supported dry red wasteland.
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be asking people which colour they liked better. Dodged a bullet there, glamourweaver.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

The Wyeth are sometimes green, though generally not as adults...

Rose Bailey

Comment

If it makes anyone feel better, the ancient Greek word chloros means both green and pale. Whether intentional or not, it makes for a classically-flavored Easter egg. Also a reminder: if color terms differ so much among earth cultures, how much more exotic would they be on Mars?

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                      When I saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be asking people which colour they liked better. Dodged a bullet there, glamourweaver.
                      While i thought of chariot racing teams and related parties & rioting - what shows i have been playing games set on Rome, Constatinople or fictional expies a little too much, maybe.

That said, doing swoop racer riots in Star Wars is awesome, i totally reccomend to make mayhem and total hell out of a few sessions.

Comment

We didn't explicitly put chariot hooliganism in anywhere yet, but it'd fit in on Mars. Seems like it might be the kind of thing people do to cut loose in Ziggur. They wouldn't have stadiums, though -- big public works aren't something Eu and his Silks get up to. So the chariots would race through the city streets. And maybe, if someone really wanted to get ahead, through the buildings...

Rose Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                          We didn't explicitly put chariot hooliganism in anywhere yet, but it'd fit in on Mars. Seems like it might be the kind of thing people do to cut loose in Ziggur. They wouldn't have stadiums, though -- big public works aren't something Eu and his Silks get up to. So the chariots would race through the city streets. And maybe, if someone really wanted to get ahead, through the buildings...
                          And now i'm imagining youths from well-off families doing their own improptu street racing disputes that might not be as appreciated by local authorities - or the families of the poor - due to the disturbances and accidents involving crashes or trampling of bystanders among other problems. Ideas, ideas...

Comment

Working...
                          X