Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussing the Code of Man

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/dog-philosophy

This is why Dogs worship Men, because only Man may know whether one is truly a Good Dog.

That said, we can but try to puzzle out some of the reasons, in an attempt to become better than we are.

So, tell me, what do you think makes one a Good Dog?

Placeholder

If my bulldog in any indication, being a total attention-mongering diva (male dog, still a diva) and sleeping when not.

Comment

Being loyal and true to the pack/family you have sworn yourself to.
      Alerting the Boss to dangers (s)he doesn't detect.
      Standing steadfastly by the side of your charge, no matter what the danger.
      Or, and this is much more difficult, tearing yourself away from their side, and going to fetch help.
      Being a comfort at rest, a helper at work, a warning when in danger, and a fierce defender when threatened.
      Showing infinite patience with the young, whether they are your own pups, or the pups of the Boss.
      Focusing and learning the tricks your Boss is trying to teach you, and performing them when appropriate.
      Staying off of the Couch.
      When that inevitably fails, getting off of the Couch.
      Only using the "oh-h-h, so the Sofa is the same thing as the Couch! I didn't know that!" excuse once or twice, at most.
      Trusting the Boss when he says that someone isn't a threat, even when that someone clearly is a threat, like the mailman or the meter-reader lady.
      Never eating chocolate.
      Trusting that the Boss will come home, even when he's been gone so very long.

(That last one is kind of paradoxical for Pugmire, I think.)

Comment

As far as the mailman goes, there was a Hercule Poirot story where the titular detective pointed out that the dog barking at the mailman is actually being quite logical. After all, does not the mailman come to your house every day, try to get inside, and then go away? The dog learns that this person doesn't get to come inside, but keeps trying, thus they should warn them off.

Placeholder

Comment

Originally posted by 39Steps View Post

Staying off of the Couch.
          Great, now I'm thinking that in this world, couches will be seen as some sort of holy throne and sitting upon one is considered blasphemous!

Comment

If a dog shalt maketh waste upon thy floor

let his face be smeared with his own filth

For he hath brought shame upon the entire house!
            Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-09-2015, 12:32 AM.

Comment

always resist the temptation to roll around in feces and garbage. no matter how much it's smell will confound predators.

Comment

Do not incessantly bark empty threats if you haven't the strength to carry them out. Such dogs drove man to heights of rage!

Comment

It is acceptable to exhume and rebury the bones of the dead within your property line. It is not acceptable to kill somebody just for the opportunity to do so!

Comment

Only Man is permitted to eat from the Cacoa plant. Should a dog attempt to do so, they will be smote by the gods!

Comment

As a good dog you are always on watch, so sleep lightly so you can protect the ones you love.

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

As a good dog, you shall not lunge and bark at those of Man who Jog and ride bikes (even though the motion seems aggressive) or drive Golf carts (no matter how loud the whine of their electric motors.) while the boss is taking you for a walk.

Also, when the boss buys you a fancy new harness or muzzle to prevent you from lunging at joggers, bikers and cart drivers, you are NOT to chew up the expensive muzzle or harness when the boss forgets to take it off you after a walk.

Also, do not chew up the furniture when the boss's back is turned, lest the boss have to throw out the couch.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

If Man is so generous as to invite you to sleep in the same bed, it is customary to sleep at their feet, rather than by their side.

Comment

Cheweth not upon that which may be precious to others.

Comment

Humping one's leg is not an appropriate manner in which to express affection.

Comment

Working...
                              X