Breed health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breed health?

I'm a big dog hobbyist, which means I'm very interested in pugmire. But sadly also aware of how many dog breeds suffer from some awful conditions due to breeders going for looks. Such as pug's twisted spine (due to the tail curl) and breathing problems (short snout), German Shepherd's sloped back (cannot sit OR walk proper) or Danchhund's easily breakable back (short legs+long back).

Just curious if Pugmire does address some of these, or are the breeds assumed to have overcome these illnesses?

My gallery.

I'm curious about this, too. Purebreds are genetic basketcases, and since there seems to be emphasis on purebreeding in Pugmire, it could be a concern. But, perhaps when humans (or whatever) uplifted dogs, they cured their genetic weaknesses?

Comment

The setting assumes that most of these problems have been eliminated. There aren't any mechanics for them.

Rose Bailey
      Onyx Path Development Producer
      Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

What Rose said. However, I have been playing with the idea that old dogs sometimes develop these problems, but that's purely for story purposes. I don't think that'll be part of the core game, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
          The setting assumes that most of these problems have been eliminated. There aren't any mechanics for them.
          Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
          What Rose said. However, I have been playing with the idea that old dogs sometimes develop these problems, but that's purely for story purposes. I don't think that'll be part of the core game, however.
          Thank you, both of you, for answers.

If I may suggest something, maybe make it clear in the book that humans wisened up and the breeds aren't so badly built anymore? That alone would allivate a lot of worries from people who are aware of these problems.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post

Thank you, both of you, for answers.

If I may suggest something, maybe make it clear in the book that humans wisened up and the breeds aren't so badly built anymore? That alone would allivate a lot of worries from people who are aware of these problems.

Well, what humans did to dogs is very vague and mythological (much like many real-world creation myths), so I don't know if a literal "humans genetically engineered these problems out of dogs" will work. But I'll see what I can do!

Comment

Are Merits/Flaws going to be a thing? Because if they are, Purebred could be either/both. It would be a simple way to address the whole concept.

I draw things! Wanna check it out? Click on the link below!
              http://kiwi665.deviantart.com/

YES! I do commissions!

Comment

Originally posted by JTroy View Post
                Are Merits/Flaws going to be a thing? Because if they are, Purebred could be either/both. It would be a simple way to address the whole concept.

Not in the same way as, say, the classic World of Darkness does it. But characters will have the opportunity to take a Flaw that has story impact (something that completes the sentence "No matter what, I just can't....") How I explained it to my own group is that anyone can be short, but if someone takes the Flaw "I just can't be any taller," then the fact she's short is significant and will come up in gameplay. So, the same could be done with typical breed ailments, but it'll be something that a particular character develops, rather than a common problem with the family overall.

Of course, as I write this, I'm struck by how human royal families often have common ailments, so maybe that's something to explore in future material....

Comment

Working...
                X