[Pugmire] Monarchies of Mau

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Did you ever get a chance to read Redwall Hampster (I only ask since I'm not sure which countries it did and did not get published in). Pugmire strikes me very strongly of that aesthetic, which I suspect is totally intentional.
    Were not an TV series? I remember some British animation in Polish televisions about humanoid Badgers few years back...

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Reminds me totally of MouseGuard, which I need to catch up on one of these days. Of course it is listed in the inspiration section....

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        This is basically the closest thing we are ever getting to a Redwall RPG... so yeah. I'm expecting we'll eventually see a lot of different types of animals become playable.

I never read the books, but after marathoning all three (four?) seasons of the animated series on youtube, I can say that a Redwall RPG would be friggin sweet. Especially one with magic thrown into the mix!

Here's to hoping we get rabbit Englishmen and otters who are afraid of water!

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Onyx Path presents...

World of Zoo, new and engaging roleplaying games universe of various animals with shared metaplot!

Hamsters are bullshit over powered.. they get Exalted Charms...

Comment

I certainly have some exciting ideas for the Monarchies of Mau -- I've been owned by several cats in my life as well -- but I'm keeping them close to my chest for now as we focus on Pugmire itself. As mentioned previously, I'd rather have Monarchies be a distinct game that's compatible with Pugmire, instead of a supplement. But that's as far out as I've planned so far -- I want to see how this Kickstarter does before I start thinking about how to handle additional species: either as even more games or as a big "Book of Nations."

Comment

If I had to guess based on current performance, I'd say 300k is about the range for this Kickstarter. That is damned good! I have only pledged a dollar so far, but I plan on upping it the closer to the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                Hamsters are bullshit over powered.. they get Exalted Charms...
                And Attila is their leader...

Under the Wyrd god...

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Were not an TV series? I remember some British animation in Polish televisions about humanoid Badgers few years back...
                  Redwall (and sequel, and prequel) series was mainly about mice. The sequel had at least one adult and one child badger (father and daughter), but IIRC that was it. Main heroes, however, (Matthias, Matthimeo and Martin, respectively) were mice. Redwall the series was about an abbey iirc under siege; sequel was a fetch quest to rescue (now adult) heroes' kids from slavers (I think weasels); prequel was about Martin's feud with a wolf pirate.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Originally posted by Tambov View Post

Redwall (and sequel, and prequel) series was mainly about mice. The sequel had at least one adult and one child badger (father and daughter), but IIRC that was it. Main heroes, however, (Matthias, Matthimeo and Martin, respectively) were mice. Redwall the series was about an abbey iirc under siege; sequel was a fetch quest to rescue (now adult) heroes' kids from slavers (I think weasels); prequel was about Martin's feud with a wolf pirate.
                    I've honestly lost count of just how many books there are in that series, but there are lots of them.

Comment

Redwall wise, I'd recommend reading 'The Long Patrol' and 'Taggerung.' There's probably an ample amount of inspiration there, that you can use to create some campaigns and stories.

Comment

I'll post the references/resources I think that will work as inspirations for the Monarchies of Mau book:
                        * The Cat Who Wished to be a Man by Lloyd Alexander
                        Published in 1973. While Lionel the cat is changed into a human by his Wizard master, he still acts and behaves as a cat trying to understand how puzzling human society is.

* Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams
                        Published in 1985. Displays cat customs, speech, and society in a manner like Tolkien. The cats even have their own language called "Higher Singing".

* The Warriors series by Erin Hunter (pseudonym)
                        Published since 2003. I see these books all the time in the children's section, as they are quite popular. The cats have different clans and have various belief systems. The book series is often violent as the cats fight each other.

* Guin Saga by Kaoru Kurimoto
                        Published since 1979. The Japanese equivalent to Conan the Barbarian or other high fantasy epics at the time. Established many of the fantasy tropes seen in older Japanese RPGs. Only the first five novels were translated into English, but there was also a recent anime adaption of the book series. Noteworthy for it's main protagonist, Guin, who's a leopard headed beast man who can't remember his own past.

* The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
                        Published in 2001. This is a twist on the Piped Piper story. With a talking conman cat behind the whole operation. This would also work as an inspiration for a book on the Rats/Mice since it deals with the group of Rats figuring out how to build their own society now that they have gained sentience. There's also a creature in here that works as a terrifying monster/demon in any following Pugmire book.

* Felidae by Akif Pirinçci
                        Published in 1989. There's also an animated movie based on the book (I do warn you though, it's pretty violent at times.). A crime fiction story set in more modern times, with the detective as a cat. Deals with cat society (Humans are called "Can Openers"), cults, and ethical questions. There's also a character in there that's certainly a follower of a cat version of the Cult of the White Mice, but I don't want to spoil it.

* The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar
                        Comics/Graphic Novels published around 2002. There's also an animated movie based on the comics. Takes place in the 1930's, but deals with a cat who suddenly gains sentience and can now talk from eating a parrot. A lot of the comics deal with the discussion of religion, discrimination, and treatment of Jews.

* The Ratha Series by Clare Bell
                        First book was published in 1983. Okay, so while the book deals with prehistoric cheetahs instead of cats: It's still about a cat society that eventually learns how to use fire, "The Red Tongue", for their own uses. This book series also deals with the topic of being disabled with the Unnamed.

* Breed to Come by Andre Norton
                        Published in 1972. A sci-fi book that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world after "man" has left it. Animals have evolved into humanoid races, such as the "Barkers" or the "Tusked Ones". The main character is part of a race of evolved cats. Hmm... However, the book deals with what happens when a ship with human passengers on it lands on old Earth again.

* The Secret Life of a Cat Documentary from the BBC
                        This was an excellent documentary series showing the differences between city, farm, and house cats in how they treat their territories and each other. They equipped the cats with cameras and were able to record what they see and interact with.

Is there anything I missed or I'm not aware about? I would also like to find more cat media like this as well.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

Hey guys, The Monarchies of Mau is one of the stretch goals up for vote right now, so if you're a cat fan and want to see them appear a little more prominently in Pugmire, go to the most recent KS update for a link to the poll and vote for Monarchies!

Comment

Yeah, I went ahead and voted for the early access pdf. for Monarchies of Mau.

I can't believe I had forgotten about Peter No-Tail as an inspiration/resource. The 1981 animated film was one of my favorite things to watch on the Disney channel back in the day. So:

* Pelle Svanslös (Peter No-Tail) Series by Gösta Knutsson
                            This was a series of Swedish children's books published between 1939 and 1972. It has been adapted into an animated film (Like I mentioned above), a children's opera, live action TV film, etc.
                            The Peter No-Tail series features talking cats and is also a satire of society at the time.

* The Cat Returns (Film)
                            2002 from Studio Ghibli. While I would qualify this as an animated film more suited as inspiration for Changeling: the Dreaming, it should be noted for the sentient cat characters within it, like: The Baron, Muta, and the Cat King. The film also deals with a "Cat Kingdom".

* Thundercats (TV animated series)
                            The 2011 reboot that got canceled on Cartoon Network. The show differs from the original 1980's version pretty much everyone knows, but it should be checked out.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

Welp, Monarchies Early Access is officially the $200k stretch goal. Now spread the word! We want to hit that stretch goal before the end of the campaign!

Comment

Since the possibility of other animals came up, I just want to say that I don't currently have much interest in the game, but if they ever add reptiles I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X