Pugmire Campaigns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pugmire Campaigns

Has anyone given the game a whirl yet? And if so, how are you finding the game?

I've got a one shot scheduled for this weekend with a few friends including one who hasn't done RPGs before- I'll post back here afterwards to let you know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxterMynd View Post
      I've got a one shot scheduled for this weekend with a few friends including one who hasn't done RPGs before- I'll post back here afterwards to let you know how it goes!

Alright, thanks! Just a heads up, I hear Shepherds and Artisans can't progress further than level two or something, for now anyway.

Comment

Shepherds and Artisans can't take higher than level two SPELLS, but they can keep progressing and taking more spells from levels one and two, if they like.

Comment

Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
          Shepherds and Artisans can't take higher than level two SPELLS, but they can keep progressing and taking more spells from levels one and two, if they like.
          Ah that's alright then, thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Jakers457 View Post

Alright, thanks! Just a heads up, I hear Shepherds and Artisans can't progress further than level two or something, for now anyway.
            I'm only planning on running one shots for the time being so there shouldn't be any situations where folks would level up- I think I'm waiting for the final product to do.

Comment

We had what is turning out to be the first session of a campaign (instead of the one shot that I originally planned) tonight that went pretty well. Our cast of characters included...
              Saint, the Guardian who used to be a bad dog and is now trying very hard to be a good dog
              Fluffernutter Mutt, the Ratter who sees the world in shades of gray
              Pen Corgi, the Artisan who seeks That Which Dogs Should Not Eat
              and Nya Corgi, the Shepherd who is too curious about all of the secrets of Man

My next post will have the lessons learned if you want to skip to that.

We started out in a town on the border between Pugmire and the lands of House Sphinx called Vinsen's Tail. The party was asked by the corrupt mayor to make sure that the upcoming festival of Pisa Devilry was a great one, particularly since their normal Shepherd, Father Orio Tibet-Spaniel, has not returned from his pilgrimage to the nearby shrine of Ithadog (formerly Ithacat before the crusade during the Great War conquered it). Pen, rolling Food Arcana, helped brew up some recipes for the pisa while Nya helped the acolytes to prepare for the festival by getting the Pisa Devil's costume repaired and encouraging the puppies to howl and pound on the door when the Devil unleashed his fearsome chimes (supplied by bells, Ghost Sound, and pots and pans). Some underworld dealings were made as the mayor had bogarted all of the good sausage on the open market, in return for which the party had to go and figure out what was going wrong with an illegal catnip plantation out near Ithadog.

On the road they ran into a battered puppy running on all fours to escape some wolves that were possessed by a cat demon (and so were doing weird meow/howl sounds). The party beat them off and then ran with the puppy to Ithadog to get there before dark.

Once there Father Orio explained the situation. About a week ago a demon had started tormenting the region and had laid waste to the village and killed many of its inhabitants. Orio and the monks managed to turn the shrine into a safe house thanks to boarding it up and his demon repelling abilities. They tried to send some parties to escape, but the demon or its minions simply hunted them down and then sent the reanimated corpses back to attack the village. Orio could probably lead a party to safety, but he's worried that if the demon gets into the shrine it could use its corrupting influence through the artifact of Man that the shrine was built around, an old cell tower, and cause havoc for miles around.

Also in the chapel was the catnip farmer that they were supposed to interrogate- after talking with him and checking out some of the Mau texts that were in the chapel the party figured out that the demon had been subdued by a field of catnip that surrounded its prison, but the drug runners had stripped that barrier, allowing the demon to awake once more. They also found that the demon was a weapon from the Great War and delighted in slaughter. They also figured out that it had been imprisoned within the confines of the holy site of Cone-L, a place that was forbidden to dogs by Man and was a prison where Man was sent to ponder his own divinity. Orio pointed out that there was an artifact within Cone-L, the Lesser Ponder (h/t to whoever suggested that on the story hooks thread!), which they might be able to use to drive the demon to madness.

So at first light the party headed up the cliffs to Cone-L. After some convincing their super-religious Guardian was convinced to enter despite the No Dogs Allowed sign. They snuck in and observed a lot of zombies patrolling the area. Unfortunately they made too much noise entering the first building and woke up more zombies which they had to fight off. Nya fell in the first two rounds of combat thanks to insane dice on the GM's part, but eventually the team managed to kill all nine of the monsters while liberally spending Fortune. As a reward they discovered the Venn Diagram Machine (vending machine), which Pen was delighted by and used Mage Paw to get all of the snacks out of it. We then broke for the evening.

Comment

Lessons learned from the adventure above:

- Guardians can get to stupid high Defense right out of the gate. DEF 20 is pretty god-like at first level, let me tell you.
                - Fortune is a life saver. Having a low stakes non-combat encounter first helped the party build up a good sized Fortune bowl (8-10 pieces) which helped keep the party alive during their decidedly unfair encounter. Being able to spend it to get additional spell slots is especially killer and makes it so that you can throw higher level encounters against low level parties.
                - Teamwork is vital, especially since you get to choose who goes next. If they had been a bit smarter even 9 zombies could have been a cakewalk for the team with the right positioning.
                - Shepherds and Artisans are very similar to one another right now as both can be buff or offense casters with the right spell selection, plus the fact that they generate spells the exact same way. The only difference (at least at first level) seems to be skills and that the Artisan gets debuffs instead of healing.
                - Precise Attack is awkward to use. Once you're in combat it's generally not worth it unless you're up against high Def opponents as you only get to attack every other round. And Ratters in general seem a little underpowered, at least at first level, as they can't tank like Guardians and don't have the damage output of Artisans or Shepherds. Mostly they just seem there to pick locks.
                - Also what's up with item aptitudes? Most of the weapon aptitudes don't make sense for characters as everyone has light weapons but for some reason light crossbows are called out in addition to them even though they're light weapons. I fiated that this meant shortbows instead for the Ratter to give her some more ranged potential.
                - But overall it was very fun and the rules light nature made it easy for even non-RPG players to pick up very quickly. Next time we confront the demon and save Ithadog!

Comment

Would you say a Fettle Guardian would be pretty robust?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakers457 View Post
                    Would you say a Fettle Guardian would be pretty robust?
                    Or a Worker as Strength adds to your armor, and at least at low levels not getting hit is much better than being able to soak damage. Our Guardian is a Mutt who took Hardy Constitution as his breed trick and tanks like a boss.

One thing we did play wrong (fortunately, actually, as then the party really would have died) was the Protection Style trick- apparently you can only do reactions (which includes reaction abilities and saving throws) once per turn whereas we were playing it as always on. We'll fix it next time, makes that style a lot less OP

Comment

Originally posted by MaxterMynd View Post
                      Or a Worker as Strength adds to your armor, and at least at low levels not getting hit is much better than being able to soak damage. Our Guardian is a Mutt who took Hardy Constitution as his breed trick and tanks like a boss.

One thing we did play wrong (fortunately, actually, as then the party really would have died) was the Protection Style trick- apparently you can only do reactions (which includes reaction abilities and saving throws) once per turn whereas we were playing it as always on. We'll fix it next time, makes that style a lot less OP

Great that you're having a good time! If you're interested, I'd appreciate some feedback on areas that you have concerns about -- the details on how to send that to me are in the Afterword of the Early Access book. Thank you!

Comment

Thanks Eddy! I'll be sure to share some feedback after we get through our second session.

Comment

For what it's worth I think Precise Attack might be slightly better than you're giving it credit for - my reading is that it applies ANY time you have Edge on a melee attack roll (without the ranged refinement), and also gives you access to a new way to gain that Edge. Granted, there aren't a ton of ways to get Edge on attack rolls right now (I vaguely thought Flanking did in 5e, but I don't see that in Pugmire), but there are a few spells and other abilities that might help you use it slightly more often. (In particular, I think a Fettle Ratter with Burst of Energy could work quite nicely.)

EDIT: Granted, at first level, that's still not a lot of ways to pull that off.

Comment

You're correct -- Precise Attack can be used any time you have an edge, and gives a separate, specific way to gain an edge fairly regularly. While there aren't many explicit ways to get an edge at first level, the GM can award an edge for creative situations, such as jumping from a high area or attacking someone from behind. So, at early levels, the ratter should be using a lot of her environment to get edges.

Comment

Originally posted by eddyfate View Post
                              You're correct -- Precise Attack can be used any time you have an edge, and gives a separate, specific way to gain an edge fairly regularly. While there aren't many explicit ways to get an edge at first level, the GM can award an edge for creative situations, such as jumping from a high area or attacking someone from behind. So, at early levels, the ratter should be using a lot of her environment to get edges.
                              I must have missed that rule completely- that's really cool and makes a lot of sense. Kinda reminds me of how the Cypher System changes difficulty levels based on what advantages you have and gives an easy way to "boost" attacks. Plus I forgot that you can just refine Precise Attack to hide as a bonus action, which increases the number of opportunities for edge'd attacks every round.

I'll be sure to re-read the rules to make sure that I didn't miss anything else for next session- thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X