No announcement yet.

Oathsworn [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel much as semicasual did. We are fucked friends. I dont care if its not a combat master, it is still a god damn lunar with powers and a statistical bell curve we could never hope for. I think we have a few options but most likely all of them will lead to our deaths and if we're going to die, i hope we do it being as Kasai as possible. We fight the beast but we'll have to get creative.

We have staked this deal on reputation and our resume, we can't just shirk that. If we die then at least we committed to that reputation as an oathsworn. Hopefully the confederacy will remember that when deciding the deal with Xia. Things we should be considering as we go into the fight:

1. How do we deal with the warchief? She is a social fu expert and having another person around to fight us is a bad idea. Telling him to leave might be best so it isn't 2 on 1, but we can't kill him as she suggests. On the other hand if he sticks around he could possibly help. If he does we could use him to help divide her attention long enough to possibly grab a weapon or some such mystical object or even take time praying to luna to weaken this bat shit evil monster.

2. Can we take time to scope out the actual temple through delaying tactics to get a better sense of what is around us that might be usable?

3. I assume the chamber makes all of this close quarters, something that will be awful for us to deal with especially with a being that can transform its hands and fingers into tentacles and sharp things.

4. Our only hope is injuring the damn thing first and hoping the penalties come in too early for it to be effective in eating us.

It was an honor in being Kasai with you all

Comment

• Originally posted by joshopotamus View Post
      I feel much as semicasual did. We are fucked friends. I dont care if its not a combat master, it is still a god damn lunar with powers and a statistical bell curve we could never hope for. I think we have a few options but most likely all of them will lead to our deaths and if we're going to die, i hope we do it being as Kasai as possible. We fight the beast but we'll have to get creative.

We have staked this deal on reputation and our resume, we can't just shirk that. If we die then at least we committed to that reputation as an oathsworn. Hopefully the confederacy will remember that when deciding the deal with Xia. Things we should be considering as we go into the fight:

1. How do we deal with the warchief? She is a social fu expert and having another person around to fight us is a bad idea. Telling him to leave might be best so it isn't 2 on 1, but we can't kill him as she suggests. On the other hand if he sticks around he could possibly help. If he does we could use him to help divide her attention long enough to possibly grab a weapon or some such mystical object or even take time praying to luna to weaken this bat shit evil monster.

2. Can we take time to scope out the actual temple through delaying tactics to get a better sense of what is around us that might be usable?

3. I assume the chamber makes all of this close quarters, something that will be awful for us to deal with especially with a being that can transform its hands and fingers into tentacles and sharp things.

4. Our only hope is injuring the damn thing first and hoping the penalties come in too early for it to be effective in eating us.

It was an honor in being Kasai with you all

1) Arguably, the warchief is on Kasai's "level" of combat ability, if not a wee bit better (You don't get elected as the martial representative of several thousand people by being a slugass). He is less protected than Kasai is (wearing less armor, so less soak), but his weapon is big and gnarly, so he can cause some damage.

As for mental resistance and such, Kasai has a pretty high Resolve ([Wits + Integrity + Specialty]/2) = ([ 2 {wits} + 4 {Integrity} + 1 {when Oaths are involved}] /2 = 4, plus he has a Defining concept of "Upholding my Oaths is worth everything, even my life.", on top of having Willpower out the ass (on the quick and dirty character sheet I hammered out for him, I had him pegged at a 6, with room for a 7), so unless the Lunar goes all out on Kasai, he isn't going to break.

The warchief, on the other hand, isn't nearly so driven, although he does have a Major tie of "This Lunar bitch [hatred]", as well as "Seek revenge for my slain bretheren", so that is something.

Hint: I am a big fan of using Willpower as a 'resource", so to speak, in my mortal campaigns, to the point where it is basically the mortal version of Essence and motes. My players usually have a bunch of Intimacies, and (over time), learned to use stunts/reinforcement of Intimacies to basically farm for Willpower, which they would then use to supplement rolls and values.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicSpirit

is one of my favorite tropes, for what it is worth.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

2) Of course. Write in what you want to do/say, and I will roll with it.

3) The chamber is, well, enclosed, but it is about 30-40 feet in diameter, meaning there is room to move around, but most of the combat would be at Close and Short Range. The flagstone floor is flat, but it is covered in bones (like, seriously, bones for days), making the ground "Rough Terrain" for both parties. There is a pool of water in the middle of the chamber, so that is something we would have to avoid, but the only real cover in the chamber is the altar at the far end.

Kasai is in full panoply (full mail, with spear, sword, dagger, shield and bow), so unless she has armor-piercing claws, or specifically aims for the area exposed by his coif (basically, his eyes and the bridge of his nose)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane..._gusoku_11.JPG

she isn't really going to just be able to plow through. Of course, she is a Full Moon right now, so if she decides to spend Essence, her fists are basically maces....

When she isn't spending Essence, Kasai is, in all seriousness, taller and stronger than she is.

As for animal forms: she is largely limited to what animals can be found in the East. That is about the extent of what I am going to reveal.

4) Onslaught penalties are a thing. I love me some Onslaught Penalties : )

Comment

• I vote fight, we swore an oath to hunt down this monster, and die it shall. Legends don't write them selves.

Comment

• *nods* We hit her hard, fast and with our 'friend' the warchief. Sucker punch/Surprise attack if possible but she needs to be overwhelmed before she can bring her 'god-body' essence against us. She is less of a threat if she is in Crash, or suffering wound penalties. Heck just getting some damage on her track before we roll for initiative would be fantastic.

Once we start this, we don't stop. We can't let her get out either. It will be worse if she escapes and seeks revenge. We'll have to block the exit from a shapeshifting monster. joy.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• …..guess we are gonna throw down and mix it up!

------
            (Just a quick baby update)

Grinning happily, you respond with, “ Of course, my lady, but first, may I ask for a boon?”

The Lunar stands back, smirking and obviously pleased with herself. “It depends, but luckily for you, I am in a giving mood.”

Going to one knee and dropping your spear,” Nothing more than a kiss, for your loyal servant? As a sign of good faith?”

She stares for a moment, then, shrugging, “…. I suppose, if you can’t even wait for a minute or two…”

As she steps forward, flipping her hair nonchalantly over her shoulder, you hear the Paskamansett warchief step back, muttering and tightening his grip on his waraxe. Even though you try desperately to keep your countenance impassive, something, some tightening of the eyes, some tensing of the body, must have tipped her off, and she leaps back, only just avoiding the sudden slash of your sword, drawn as you rose.

The blade whips up, left to right, and draws a line through both the silken gown and her ivory skin, parting both with nary a whisper. She cries out, and for a moment, the slightest of heartbeats, she ceases to look like the monster she is, and instead resembles nothing more than a slighted girl. The image passes, and she grins, eyes gleaming liquid silver, as the skin across her breast seals up seamlessly.

“You know….. I’m not even mad. Ordinarily, I would at least expect you to take me out to dinner first before getting rough, but you went out of your way to bring it here! I really should thank you…”

Snarling, with your sword-point between you and the demon, “ Please, demon! Your foul charms fill any righteous man with disgust, as they should! Prepare to die!”

The Lunar grins, and to your horror, her fingers elongate into tiger claws with the cracking of bone.

As you start orbiting around the side, the warchief chimes in, “< You know, I was getting worried for a moment. What did it offer you?>”

“< The bitch said she would lay with me if I killed you. Obviously, I didn’t take the bait. We need to split up her atten..>”

“< You know, it is incredibly rude to carry on a conversation in another language, when someone else is present. I mean, I am right here…..>”

The warchief shrugs, “So sorry, but I don’t pay much attention to the feelings of dead men!>”

“<So confident! Maybe I should have started with you, instead of mr. –stick-in-the-mud over there!>” She turns to the warchief, eyes and forehead gleaming. “< What do say, old buck? Kill the young one, and I will leave these lands and never return!>”

He stares, then shakes his head, “<N… No! You killed my warriors, killed my people! I would never give in to you!>”

The Anathema laughs, leaning forwards coyly and hiding her claws behind her back, “< You don’t know what happened, do you? Your warriors attacked me, and I fought them in self-defense! Maybe they were smitten by my unearthly beauty, and couldn’t help themselves? Regardless, I just want to live in peace! Don’t you want peace? It is possible, and will only take your leaving this place at once…..>”

Even though the Anathema’s voice isn’t directed at you, the throbbing power in her words make your knees quake and your heart pound. The warchief, feeling the brunt of the siren-song, trembles all over, sweating, his eyes rolling in his sockets, from you to the Anathema and back. His axe slowly falls, until it hangs uselessly at his side……

He stands there motionless, breathing heavily, until you suddenly leap towards the Lunar with a cry of fury leaving your lips. She twists sinuously, gracefully as a bolt of falling silk, and the point of your blade meets only air. The warchief starts, as if waking from a dream, and hefts his axe warily, wrath entering his eyes.

She sneers, “You really need to learn to butt out of other people’s conversations, asshole.”

You smirk, “What was that about having conversations when others are present, again? I was just returning the favor!”

She snarls in response, suddenly leaping forwards across the chamber with a speed and grace beyond all mortal ken, colliding with you before you can get the point of your blade up to meet her. In spite of her slight (yet tremulous. Oh so tremulous) frame, she impacts with the force of a battering ram, knocking you both to the floor and sending your sword skittering through the bones. She grins widely (looking more and more like some bestial creature baring her fangs by the second), sharp teeth snapping scant millimeters away from your face, and her claws scrap over your mail. To your surprise (and terror), the claws rend the links, popping rivets and bending steel, although the underpadding holds firm. Her arms are as strong as steel as well, and you fight a losing battle keeping her teeth from your throat.

Only a few heartbeats pass, but it feels like an eternity before the warchief charges across the bone-strewn floor, driving his axe into the shoulder of the crazed animal-woman and kicking her in the ribs, ripping her iron-grip from your shoulders and sending her sprawling across the floor. She screams as the wound heals, the combination of human, fox and other beasts turning your blood to ice.

He laughs as he helps you up, “<Surprised you did I? Stupid bitch, forget there are two of us again, and it will be the end of you!>” Aside, to you, “< Run for the altar, there are sacrificial weapons there, weapons of the sacred hunt, blessed by the Moon-Goddess herself! If anything can take this demon down, it will be them!>”

She laughs (giggles, really) as she rises into a half-crouch, silver and black, purple and blue swirling about her like trees in a storm. “< You old fool, the Moon-Goddess is my patron. What makes you think weapons dedicated to her will do me any harm?!>”

He shrugs, presenting his waraxe, “< I dunno, demon, we seem to be kicking your ass with mere mortal weapons, we might not even need the blessed ones!>” Raising the axe over his head, “< For as long as you live, I want you to remember this: for all your power, your “godhood”, you are losing. How many times have we bled, compared to you?! I, Corbitant of the Paskamansett, have made you scream in pain! Remember that!>”

She screams again, in fury and hatred, and leaps across the chamber faster than the eyes can see. The warch…. Corbitant makes a valiant effort to step aside, to no avail, and they make the bones fly in their wake. The Lunar Anathema lifts the man almost effortlessly, in one hand, and slams him bodily into the wall, then wraps her clawed hands around his neck. She is smiling again, but there is no amusement in her eyes, and her bared teeth look more like the fangs of a fox than any human expression.

Her fingers tighten inexorably, irresistibly, and Corbitant’s face turns from red, to purple, to blue, and his eyes bulge from his skull. Kick at her as he might (and he is breaking ribs, you can hear that from across the room), the Lunar doesn’t let up her grip, and he rolls his eyes at you in mute appeal.

She giggles again, high-pitched and demented, and when she opens her mouth, instead of words, from between her lips slithers a snake, fangs dripping with venom. As it rears back to strike, you,
            1. Run forwards to attack the Lunar Anathema! Her back is turned, you could stab her in the neck, the kidneys, or even the heart!
            2. Jump forward and save Corbitant! He saved you, you can’t just let him die! Besides, the more help you have for this fight, the better!
            3. Go look at the altar, while her focus isn’t on you! If what Corbitant says is right, you might find something to even the odds a bit!
            4. Something else?
            She has got between 7 and 14 dice (with excellencies) of Read Intentions, so fooling her really wasn't going to happen. Not with Kasai's shit-tastic Guile rating, that is.
            Last edited by Boston123; 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Back turned means a shot at her neck, especially with a snake tongue. Can you imagine how distracting it would be to have a snake for a tongue working it's way out of your mouth? Take the head and save the warchief who has a name so is no longer a red shirt.

Comment

• 1 and 2 are pretty much the same, so both!

"When morale is low, attack. When the weather is bad, attack. When you are outnumbered, attack. Attack! Attack!! Attack!!!", the Star Khan of Radha

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• I would like to draw everyone's attention to these two sentences:
                  Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                  ...The image passes, and she grins, eyes gleaming liquid silver, as the skin across her breast seals up seamlessly....

.... She screams as the wound heals, the combination of human, fox and other beasts turning your blood to ice..
                  3. Go for the altar. Attacking might buy Corbitant some time, but we won't win this fight if we can't find something to inflict wounds that she cannot immediately heal.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• joshopotamus
                    videopete
                    FallenEco

What do you think?

Comment

• I vote...have our cake and eat it too!

Corbitant didn't get to be warchief by being an idiot. If he thinks these sacred weapons might help...well, then we wont' need this one.

We're a good shot. I say we utter a quiet prayer and throw our sword like a spear. We put it through her in the hopes she'll drop our new friend...or at least that having a sword stuck through her from behind will slow her down enough for him to take advantage of the opening and get loose...and then dash for the sacred weapons while she's distracted.

Flurries are our friend!

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                      -Roger Zelazny

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
                        I vote...have our cake and eat it too!

Corbitant didn't get to be warchief by being an idiot. If he thinks these sacred weapons might help...well, then we wont' need this one.

We're a good shot. I say we utter a quiet prayer and throw our sword like a spear. We put it through her in the hopes she'll drop our new friend...or at least that having a sword stuck through her from behind will slow her down enough for him to take advantage of the opening and get loose...and then dash for the sacred weapons while she's distracted.

Flurries are our friend!

Kasai's sword is currently somewhere in the piles of bones, as is his spear. All he has on him at this point is his dagger and his bow.

1) His bow is in a lacquered wood sheath, bound to the right hip /small of the back. He could draw it and knock an arrow in but a moment.
                        2) His dagger is bound across the front of the torso, angled in such a fashion that he could draw it with either the left or right hand. It isn't designed for throwing, nor is Kasai all that skilled at throwing knives, but taking a combination of sharp steel and heavy bronze to the arm or face would be a distraction, Anathema or not.

For what it is worth, we are equidistant between both the altar and the scuffle.

Comment

• If he's got the bow on him, even better! Put an arrow in her arm while backing away toward the altar. It's probably harder to heal wounds when there are arrows stuck in them...and pulling the arrows out takes time. This way we help Corbitant, move towards the altar, and hopefully continue to hinder our foe without getting close enough for her to murder us.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                          -Roger Zelazny

Comment

• Throw the knife run for the alter. If the knife doesn't hit maybe it will distract her? Either way corbitant is screwed and we aren't going to really be capable of doing much with a knife against this beast. The bow would probably take forever and i doubt it would be all that effective. I say throw the knife and hunt through the alter for weapons we probably wont be capable of wielding

Comment

• Originally posted by joshopotamus View Post
                              Throw the knife run for the alter. If the knife doesn't hit maybe it will distract her? Either way corbitant is screwed and we aren't going to really be capable of doing much with a knife against this beast. The bow would probably take forever and i doubt it would be all that effective. I say throw the knife and hunt through the alter for weapons we probably wont be capable of wielding

Nah, they will be all stuff Kasai is capable of using.

Overwhelmingly, outside of bronze or steel shortswords (which Kasai can use anyways), most Hill-Tribe weapons are intended for hunting use. So: spears, javelins, bows and arrows, knives, clubs/axes, etc.

The only Hill-Tribe weapon Kasai isn't proficient with would be the sling.

Besides, Kasai is a warrior, and has been training with arms since he was 7-and-younger. If there is something there he doesn't immediately recognize..... He can make do.
                              Last edited by Boston123; 05-01-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Start shooting arrows to draw the monsters attention while running to the Altar, while screaming songs to the Moon Goddess. Drown out her siren's voice with ritousness. Show her what Luna thinks of those who abandon thier charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X