Oathsworn [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
    (Is Takeshi in Close or Short range at this point? If he's up to Medium, I would order a charge. Otherwise...)

4. Order your Oathsworn to change tactics from retreat to withdrawal. As a group, engage with the bandits so you can grab Takeshi and then resume moving towards the gate - slowly, this time, so nobody gets left behind or falls out of formation.
    Takeshi is at Short range to both Kasai and the bandits, 'farther' Short range to the rest of the Oathsworn. The terrain is Difficult; tons of bodies and mud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
      Hm. The smart thing to do here is not break formation. We're already injured, we shouldn't be attempting heroics.

But...well...let's not do the smart thing. Because, gods dammit, we swore Oaths, and the reward for loyal service to one's liege shouldn't be dying in battle while one's liege stands by and watches! I say we offer a quick prayer to Luna (something along the lines of, "I don't know what you want from me, but I'm betting it's not getting murdered by random bandits, so help me out here!") and wade in and see what our fancy new spear can do. We only need to drive the enemy back for a short time to get Shin out, and it would be unfair to order the rest of our formation to make tactically unwise choices just because we're doing so.

If we can pull out our bow and drop the bandits without breaking formation to give Shin the room he needs to get up and get back in formation, fine. If we can't, though, wade in with the magic spear.

Unrelated note? Kasai needs to invest in more throwing weapons. A bow is unwieldy and we keep coming into situations where we want to kill an enemy at short range without losing our ability to fight at close range if the enemy closes. I propose a couple javelins or some throwing axes.
      If anything, something like a javelin would be equally unwieldy.

The Vanehani do not use javelins in war, and seeing an Oathsworn warrior hefting some would turn a few heads and raise a few eyebrows. The Hill-Tribes do use javelins in war, but they range between 3 and 5 feet long. They are usually carried in the shield hand, and thrown as part of the charge.

The Hill-Tribes, and people in areas close to them (aka Jianghu) also use axes, especially the tamahaac, which is used as not only a melee and throwing weapon, but as a general-purpose tool across much of the Mid-East, North-East and North (where it is known locally as the francesca). They are commonly used not only by the Tribes, but also by woodsmen (not a few Men-at-Arms are carrying tomahawks as tools and sidearms), and are often taken as trophies in battle.

Takeshi is also not going to be able to get up, not on his own. He twisted/sprained/broke his ankle. Such is a risk in any battle, but especially when you are as old as he is. He is in his 60s, and does not have the same Luna-given blessing as Kasai's grandfather does.

Oathsworn are expected to be combatants as long as they are physically capable of entering the battlefield under their own power, and the socially-accepted range for that is 20 to 60 years of age. Once one hits their 60s, it is expected you either have children to take up your Oathsworn mantle, or be given a REMF-role in things.

Kasai, however, doesn't really have the manpower needed to let people sit out. And Shin Takeshi would probably not want to sit out, anyways.

That above point; that feudal warlords are expected to have children follow in their footsteps, is a big problem, and will come up at some point, not just with Kasai. For example, Shin Takeshi has multiple children and grandchildren (including a granddaughter Kasai's age, tee hee)..... but none of them are Oathsworn. Some of them are trained combatants, but the 'whole point' of the feudal system is that fighters (and families) are granted lands specifically so their landlord has fighters down the line.

If a retainer-clan doesn't produce fighters, a landlord is technically within their rights to strip the clan of land and title. Therefore, many clan-heirs are all-but forced to train as Oathsworn warriors, so the land and title remains in the clan. Not that this is usually a problem, because as nobility, the training isn't that hard, and there are social benefits to being a warrior noble....... but it does lead to those not having the necessary strength of character giving the Oaths and becoming Oathsworn. Like, for example, the Oathsworn that crippled Kasai back in Teriake.

Both the Shiba clan and the Harutane clan has this problem; they lack heirs with the strength of will to become Oathsworn, or lack heirs at all. For example, Mino Shiba is her mother's heir (something she already greatly resents), and since the ruler of Xia (and every other feudal domain in the Hundred Kingdoms) is socially-demanded to be a warlord, Mino has received training all her life for combat; personal skills, the leading of troops, that sort of thing. She was all-but forced to accompany her mother on the campaign against Yue, and she is .... not happy.

She doesn't know what she wants to be .... but a feudal warlord is not it. But, the clan comes first, and she does her duty, albeit grudgingly. Unknown to her, her mother knows she doesn't want, well, any of this, and empathizes. Mino is very much like she was at that age, and her heart breaks that she has to do this. But..... clan and realm first, forever and always, and she doesn't tell her daughter she knows.

As you can expect, the two do not get along.

As for the Harutane family (aka the family Kasai was a bastard in), they wish they had that problem. Daichi Harutane, Kasai's father and clan-head, has 6 children, Kasai (23, Male) , who as a bastard cannot inherit anything, Aki (14, Female), Kino (11, Female), Kazuo (9, Male), Uta (9, Female), and Hisoka (3, Male). As the firstborn 'trueborn' child, Aki is her father's heir..... but she has no desire to be Oathsworn, and Daichi is too nice to force his kids to do something.

If none of the children want to be Oathsworn (Aki, Kino), or are even capable of fulfilling the duties of the position (Kazuo is a ..... sickly child), then the only way he can keep the land within his family is to marry his children to someone capable of fulfilling the position (which was one of the reasons why Mino was engaged to Haichi) . That will be .... difficult, as the Harutane family is, and was, poor to begin with, even more so after Daichi purchased Kasai's equipment, and therefore they do not have much money to offer for a dowry for one daughter, much less 3. Daichi is prematurely aging as a result of the stress, and his health is slowly failing. Kasai does not know this.

One of the reasons Daichi wanted to legitimize Kasai, asides from him, well, actually loving his child and wanting him to succeed, was so that Kasai could take over when he came of age, thereby preventing their problems entirely. Kasai's step-mother prevented that, not out of malice, but from wanting her own children to inherit.

On Kasai and his stepmother..... their relationship wasn't antagonistic, not like Catelyn Stark and Jon Snow, she raised him after all, and the only reason he knew she wasn't his mother was that he looks nothing like her, but Kasai is significantly older than the rest of his half-siblings, and he was intelligent enough to recognize both what he was, social-wise, and why she wanted his siblings to inherit. When Daichi commissioned Kasai's equipment, which as stated before was very expensive (and most of which is ruined, D'oh!), Daichi and his wife got into a very long row about it, and if pressed, Kasai would cite that argument, and efforts to prevent more conflict in the future, as one of his reasons for leaving home to go erranting. He left rather abruptly, and Kasai's stepmother was heartbroken, since she thought she pressured him into leaving.

On a related note, Kasai needs to have kids, and soon, so this problem has less a chance of arising.

...... Where the hell these massive tangents come from, I have no idea. I started this post talking about throwing weapons, and I end it talking about Kasai's family issues.

https://media.giphy.com/media/njl60xjwgrkWY/giphy.gif
      Last edited by Boston123; 07-27-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Can we send Masanori to go get Takashi, and cover him? Or have Masanori assist us in grabbing him?
        What are our chances of spraining an ankle, at this point? Because it sounds like leaping to Takashi's defense, spear blazing, is both something I want to do and a really, really bad idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
          (Is Takeshi in Close or Short range at this point? If he's up to Medium, I would order a charge. Otherwise...)

4. Order your Oathsworn to change tactics from retreat to withdrawal. As a group, engage with the bandits so you can grab Takeshi and then resume moving towards the gate - slowly, this time, so nobody gets left behind or falls out of formation.
          Seconded, though if we can pull off Wise Old Guru's bow shot to save Shin, I'd add that to the list.
          Let's not throw away our shiney new artefact spear on a bandit if we can't get it back right away. These seem like the type of people who will take pretty loot and run while they can. Not risking it lost in the confusion of battle.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Going to go ahead and add my vote to some kind of withdraw "grab Takeshi as group" if that helps. Or at the very least call masanori over to help.
            Hope you're doing okay Boston123, or at least getting a lil bit of rest. And at any rate, thanks for the fun thread so far.

Comment

• Sorry about the lack of posts, everyone. I've been having some relationship troubles as of late, and I've lacked much in the way of both energy or desire to write for the last week or so. I'll get something out this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
                Sorry about the lack of posts, everyone. I've been having some relationship troubles as of late, and I've lacked much in the way of both energy or desire to write for the last week or so. I'll get something out this weekend.
                No pressure. Art and Game are for joy and fun-if it starts turning into a slog, take a break! No reason to beat yourself up.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
                -Roger Zelazny

Comment

• Totally, I just had to tell my players Saturday that I need a break from storytelling for awhile. I still feel super bad about it but I know if I get too burnt out it makes everything worse inside and outside of the game. Take your time Boston123.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post

No pressure. Art and Game are for joy and fun-if it starts turning into a slog, take a break! No reason to beat yourself up.
                    Ditto. Please don't worry about it Boston. Take whatever time you need. Rest, relax and do what you have too. I hope you are alright.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• I really loved and miss this quest. I dont need the author to restart it, but i wanted to say this has been one of the cooler quests i've read here and really loved the ops world and story.

Comment

Working...
                      X