Opinions on (the idea of) Half-Castes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm a bit late, but gonna give my opinion anyway

I like half-castes. It adds a bit of flavor to the setting. But it needs to be handled right, something I dont think the previous editions did. For example, One thing I know I'd like to see is for Essence use to no longer be automatic, thus creating a few tiers for them.

Comment

I really don't like the whole concept, even with a non-ridiculous implementation, so no Dragon-Blood...lings and the like in my games.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Jachra View Post
        ... their essence pools are always peripheral (and so they stand out no matter what they do), ...
        Wait, I missed the part where it was explained what burning Peripheral Essence even does when you don't have caste marks or anima banners to flare.

Comment

I was never a fan of Half-caste having charms of their Exalted Parent beyond excellencies. But I am a fan of them as a concept, they can have some fun merits, and maybe some way for them to have an excellency or two, maybe as their equivalent to a Supernal they option.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

BLOOD OF SILVER (****)
            Type: Innate

With at least one of its parents a Lunar Exalted, the child's blood has been affected in some way. Whenever the character feels strong emotion tied to a specific Intimacy, his blood runs hot and the beast from within slips forth.

This Merit allows the Moon-Touched to, once per day, apply a full Lunar Excellency to a single action driven by heated emotion tied to a specific Intimacy. This power resets when he witnesses a Major or Defining positive Intimacy suffer with him being unable to prevent it.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: June 23, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
              Wait, I missed the part where it was explained what burning Peripheral Essence even does when you don't have caste marks or anima banners to flare.
              Yeah. And that was actually one of the lesser slip-ups. The whole chapter would have been much better if it had been unedited copypasta from 1st. Instead it found all sorts of things to break badly (in mechanics, tone, and worldbuilding) in addition to leaving in 1e-isms.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                Left to your imagination - I'd figure a brilliant golden aura.

We don't allow mages to cast spells, since this is the most unbalancing rule of all.

Comment

So I think one issue with Half-Castes was mechanical decisions made with god-blooded in general that made them very different category of being than they were in their original 1e inception.

In 1e, being god-blooded didn't inherently give you awakened Essence of any sort. This was something up to the ST and made it so that there was going to be ag ood number of god-blooded of any stripe who's supernatural parentage led more to what you usually see in say, the Iliad or something where characters are exceptional but not supernatural. In a world where chargen reflected some aspect of setting at least, the main perk for god-blooded was that you got more points than other heroic mortals (though ther was the Experience rating to even that). You're divinity wasn't itself what gave you powers, but merely soemthing that let you buy powers.

This worked actually pretty great for Half-Castes. Even Dragon-Touched. Since as I read it, most were not assumed to ever even get Charms. They were just often highly talented individuals (ie, higher stats due to BP) and also probably higher connected ones too (ie, more BP to spend on Backgrounds and Merits). Some did get supernatural powers, but they were generally best handled as being limited (say, Lunar Half-Castes with limited shapeshifting) or simply an alternate route to power that some mortals did anyhow with enlightenment.

2e made it so that god-blooed had awakened Essence by default. This shifted a shitloads of things, as it was also further written with this idea that the Charms were not just something they could buy, but something inherently importan to god-blooded. And then it also continued th ekind of unfortunate setup of 1e for using parental Charms in a system where they aren't realy for that.

I think in a context of something like 1e, but taken further, such that god-blooded (of any sort) don't get to be Charm-users by default, but isntead are pretty well-to-do mortals save for those who pick up a bunch of funky merits and interesting powers, is the way to go. In this context, I have no problem even with Half-Castes really. Or even Dragon-Touched, who could just be played up as not having any supernatural Merit options and so end up just highly skilled, connected people who their parents hate. Because that's interesting to stories to have such Half-Castes be very powerful people through mundane means, but still never going to be as respected as their supernatural peers and relatives, to me at least.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                  Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

2E screwed the pooch on a lot of things. This is just one.

I do hope the devs for 3e are reading this. Blaque just echoed most of my feelings on the subject and I'd like to see it taken into consideration when they get that far.

Well, as long as we get Golden Children of some sort, I'll be happy. I had one concept from last edition of one who Exalted that I'd like to see if I can port.

Comment

I think a cool way to handle Half-Caste Solars would be to give them a minor Supernal ability. The chosen ability is counted as favored for the purposes of experience costs and training times, and it has a Mortal Excellency tied to it. The mortal Excellency adds 2 dice per WP spent up to double the original dice pool.

This makes the Sun-Blessed legitimately better than a base mortal, but without overshadowing anyone, and it translates some of the perfection of the Solars down to more mundane scale.

Comment

I would make it so that 1st generation HCs got a boost, but their children were normal mortals(unless, of course, they bred with another Exalt to produce another 1st generation HC).

As for the nature of the boost... maybe they get same number of Attribute points as their Exalted parent(8/6/4 instead of 6/4/3). Maybe they automatically get the Exalted Healing supernatural merit.

Comment

I'm a big fan of them in their original presentation, which was "if you are an extremely powerful Celestial Exalt, you still can't pass on your Exaltation through the blood, but your kids might be kinda second-sighted or something." The 1e and 2e implementations where they got Exalted Charms was awful. I'm generally against recycling powers to represent new playable types, and that goes triple for Exalted Charms.

Former Exalted developer.
                          --
                          Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
                          Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcob View Post
                            I would make it so that 1st generation HCs got a boost, but their children were normal mortals(unless, of course, they bred with another Exalt to produce another 1st generation HC).
                            as I recall, that's how it worked, in 1e at least (2e was so screwed up I never made a point of remembering it all). Now, as with any rule there were exception, and that was those *Bloods that had the Breed True or Dynasty of Inheiritance merits. The former was just for beastmen though, and the second only passed on the Inheiritance trait (at half the parent's rating) so the second generation still may not have much supernatural power. Unless your partner was another Godblood/Half Caste with DoI, then the kids got half the parents' combined inheiritance.

i found this idea interesting. It may not be common enough to be a big deal in the Second Age (unless the other kind of Supernatural-blooded are getting together), but realized in the First Age it may have been possible for whole communities of Half Caste decendants of various Exalts that could last quite a while. Another threat the Dragon Blooded saw to their position.

Comment

I hope they aren't called Half-Castes, if only because Half-Caste is a term that used to be used around here to describe people of mixed ethnic heritage but was ditched on account of it being rather offensive. Amongst a lot of older mixed race people, who remember the term in common use, it's definitely a nasty slur with personal history for them.

Comment

I said that back on the first page, but habits are apparently hard to break.

Comment

Working...
                                X