No announcement yet.

Opinions on (the idea of) Half-Castes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does seem weird that that is the name solar children. I mean are you a half zenith? I guess Golden Child is a serviceable appellation.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Got a btter one for all Chosen-kids?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
        The Shining Host?

Comment

"Children of the Mighty."

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
            I'm a big fan of them in their original presentation, which was "if you are an extremely powerful Celestial Exalt, you still can't pass on your Exaltation through the blood, but your kids might be kinda second-sighted or something." The 1e and 2e implementations where they got Exalted Charms was awful. I'm generally against recycling powers to represent new playable types, and that goes triple for Exalted Charms.
            Yeah it's easy to blame 2e for mini-exalts, but I think 90% of the god blooded I saw who were made with the Player's Guide rules appeared to be following a checklist of the Merits and Flaws that would let them get as close to being an Exalt as humanly possible. Half-Caste were just the worst offenders.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              Yeah it's easy to blame 2e for mini-exalts, but I think 90% of the god blooded I saw who were made with the Player's Guide rules appeared to be following a checklist of the Merits and Flaws that would let them get as close to being an Exalt as humanly possible. Half-Caste were just the worst offenders.
              Yup.

Dragon-Touched were fourteen scoops of awful in particular, and definitely won't be coming back.

Former Exalted developer.
              --
              Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
              Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

But shouldn't the children of High Essence Terrestrials get something? Even if it's just some interesting cosmetic traits?

Comment

"Being born into the decadence of the Scarlet Dynasty" and "possessing the chance of birthing elemental demigods" aren't "something"?

Comment

Was it just fan made or a real rule that higher essence terrestrials tended to have more Exalted children? I know every deeb game I have been in has had that be a thing.

Comment

One thing that I would definitely not expect to be part of the narrative of God-Blooded born from the Exalted is a background detail of how they were becoming so numerous (and had the attendant powers) that they were at risk of superseding Dragon Blooded in the institutions and hierarchy of the Realm.

​Even apart from being another unnecessary fixation on the First Age, it just contributed to a very skewed perspective on what the significance of divinely empowered children was, undervalued the Terrestrial Exalted by a bit, and as an additional crux to the motivation of the Usurpation was rather flimsy.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by KittyEmpress View Post
                        Was it just fan made or a real rule that higher essence terrestrials tended to have more Exalted children? I know every deeb game I have been in has had that be a thing.
                        Depends on how it was phrased. I know higher breeding tended to play into how high a DB could go in essence and that upped the odds for a kid to exalt, so that would be one way. I wouldn't know specifically if we're just talking about how Dancing Leaf the oddly named fire aspect managed to raise herself to essence 4 and thus has a better shot of having DB kids.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyEmpress View Post
                          No, it was the Breeding background that did that; at least as outlined in Scroll of Errata, page 20: Breeding and Exalting Children.

​Scroll of Heroes, however, indicated that when breeding with other supernaturals, if a Dragonblooded of Essence 4+ has blood primacy (basically, higher essence rank), their child will be near guaranteed to exalt. Which, somehow, was deemed less of a setting breaker than Dragon-Touched.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                            No, it was the Breeding background that did that; at least as outlined in Scroll of Errata, page 20: Breeding and Exalting Children.

​Scroll of Heroes, however, indicated that when breeding with other supernaturals, if a Dragonblooded of Essence 4+ has blood primacy (basically, higher essence rank), their child will be near guaranteed to exalt. Which, somehow, was deemed less of a setting breaker than Dragon-Touched.

Well I guess it makes sense if you believe that its true that Dragonblooded took centuries before they started breeding with humans. Because they no doubt were scoring with Celestial Exalts and Gods before their breeding diminished and their children lost the guarantee of breeding true.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post
                              Yup.

Dragon-Touched were fourteen scoops of awful in particular, and definitely won't be coming back.
                              I can to some degree understand why some people found Dragon-Touched desirable, they facilitated playing a character who through no fault of their own failed to Exalt without being left stuck playing a Mortal or having the issue cast aside by sudden Celestial Exaltation.

It's not a desirable situation to revisit in a new edition, where the 'eww, I'm not going to play a Mortal' sentiment that created that situation is facing understandable scrutiny.

But shouldn't the children of High Essence Terrestrials get something? Even if it's just some interesting cosmetic traits?
                              I’ve got a Mortal NPC from House Nellens who has a sorcerous initiation based on the fact that Terrestrial Exaltation skipped a generation with her and after her daughter's Second Breath reasoned that the blood of the dragons was dormant in her and she could tap it for power. I've also mused on the idea of a fake Dragon-Blooded with a convincing looking set of powers courtesy of a sorcerous working.

Onyx Path Forums Moderator

Comment

The other problem with dragon-touched (particularly in the gets-exalted-parent's-charms paradigm) is that in-setting it's not so easy to tell the difference between a kid who inherits the might of the dragons by actually exalting and one who doesn't. As far as anyone can see, they have the power of the dragons. Because technically, they do. It's just not firing on all cylinders.

So rather than the god-blooded children of dragon blooded, they just look like shitty dragon blooded.

Comment

Working...
                                X