No announcement yet.

Time and The Calendar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer seconds will create more problems then It solves.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I generally treat time-keeping as a low-priority concern. Maybe after a few sessions and lengthy-ish downtimes, I'll sit down and work out what date it is. This sometimes leads to unexpected and fun sources of inspiration, like the time I realized I was having Anys Syn capture the PCs and bring them back to Yu-Shan right in the middle of the Calibration Festival.

Currently Writing: Arms of the Chosen, Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought, Scion: Hero

Comment

If you have Lunar PCs, knowing the exact date can be important (if you're using 2nd ed limit from the Moon), but otherwise the exact date isn't important. But the season is, and I find that it's worth writing down the date and updating it after every few sessions (it doesn't matter if you over- or under-count by a day or two), because otherwise you kind of forget how long it's been. Things like seasons and travel times are important, as are how long NPCs have to do stuff. I've found keeping track of the date surprisingly helpful.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
          The "begats" in Genesis show several instances of people not only living for hundreds of years, but having kids when they're over a century old. It would seem odd to me for someone to look at this and say, "The antediluvian period must have had shorter years."
          Hmm. As a kid, one of the first thoughts that occurred to me was, "Did they mix up the words for months and years at some point? Methuselah having a kid in his teens and living to eighty-odd years seems reasonable."

Comment

Originally posted by Verzio View Post
            Hmm. As a kid, one of the first thoughts that occurred to me was, "Did they mix up the words for months and years at some point? Methuselah having a kid in his teens and living to eighty-odd years seems reasonable."
            The math doesn't work out elsewhere. Frex, with Seth being born when Adam was 130, Adam is either the world's oldest father at 130 years, or the world's youngest father at 10 years 10 months.

Comment

It's a pretty standard thing for ancient middle-eastern lists of patriarchs. The early Sumerian kings all ruled for like 1000 years each, apparently.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

The math doesn't work out elsewhere. Frex, with Seth being born when Adam was 130, Adam is either the world's oldest father at 130 years, or the world's youngest father at 10 years 10 months.
                They could be working off the Exalted idea where people just stayed in their physical prime for centuries. But hey, what do I know, I wasn't there.

Edit: ...Or was I? *Twilight Zone Theme*
                Last edited by Prometheus878; 01-14-2017, 02:54 AM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Yeah, that was one of the things I immediately checked back then.

I'm just reacting to your "It would seem odd to me for someone to look at this and say, "The antediluvian period must have had shorter years."" It may be odd to you, or even in some taking-the-average-of-all-humans sense, but strikes me as pretty normal (given it was, in fact, my first reaction).

Comment

Working...
                  X