Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2.x] "Common knowledge" that covers most of creation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2.x] "Common knowledge" that covers most of creation?

The current list:

​* There are demons stealing peoples faces and memories, wielding powers they have stolen from the sun or the moon (not everyone agrees, but most know about this knowledge/opinion/myth).
    * Ignoring proper burial rites makes people rise as ghosts.
    * Ghosts can't pass salt lines.
    * The five Elemental Dragons of Air, Wood, Fire, Water, and Earth.
    * The seven Incarnae is revered in most places, but might be put above or beneath the elemental dragons; The Unconquered Sun, Luna, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn.
    * The five colors associated with the Maidens. Yellow is associated with travels and messages; blue is associated with joy, love, sex, and is used both as the a common color for weddings and for prostitution; red is associated with war and battles; green is associated with secrets; violet is associated with death.
    * There are gods/spirits everywhere.
    * Rice is the staple food in many places, and rice wine is also available in many places around Creation.
    * Tea Houses are common.
    * There was a great cataclysm a few centuries back; a great horror killing almost everyone.
    * The most powerful empire is the Realm; ruled by the Dragon Blooded, blessed with wast powers by the Elemental Dragons.
    * A year is 420 days long (15 months á 28 days); ending with another five days and moonless nights, where strange things might happen.
    * The Scarlet Empress saved the world from the Fair Folks and the Great Contagion.
    * The Realm is and has always been ruled by the Scarlet Empress. People who live in the Threshold or participate in global trade also know that she recently disappeared.
    * Five is a sacred number. There are Five Fates, Five Elements, Five Seasons, and so on.
    * There are people chosen by the gods and blessed with a fraction of their power to be champions and leaders of humanity - these are the Exalted. (Most people probably imagine Dragonblooded.)
    * There are other people who have gained strange, unnatural powers by congress with spirits or other unfathomable occult gobbledegook. (i.e. you know that magic exists)
    * The city of Thorns was recently overrun by an army of the dead, spearheaded by a monster the size of a castle. (That was about 10 years ago by the RY 768 start time, so I figure most people should know by now.)
    * The poles of the world are elemental with Earth at the center.
    * North is cold, West is wet, South is hot, East is full of plants, and the Center is where the best farmland is.
    * Your uncle's wife's half-sister's mother's cousin once dropped a wooden bucket down the well. A strange winged creature came out of it carrying a golden bucket and a silver one, and asked which one she had dropped. She said "neither, the one I dropped was made of jade." Then the winged creature ate her. (i.e. you know you live in a fairy-tale world, and sometimes weird shit happens.)

For another roleplaying game I made a list of things that the character would be aware of, no matter where they came from or education; and a few things the player should know about the setting. As I have a new group, and out of the game I pitched, they picked Exalted, I thought I should do the same for Exalted and doing it by making this thread.

It should be under the assumption the reader of the list knows nothing about Exalted, and both to give a quick overview of the setting, and give some knowledge about the game at large. So it should not have any description of the Great Houses of the Realm, as it isn't common knowledge to most of Creation. However, knowing that Dragon Blooded of the greatest empire of the setting are divided into Great Houses and there is a Game of Throne-ish thing brewing there might be a good player knowledge.

So, from the top of my head there is:
    * There are demons stealing peoples faces and memories, wielding powers they have stolen from the sun or the moon (not everyone agrees, but most know about this knowledge/opinion/myth).
    * Ignoring proper burial rites makes people rise as ghosts.
    * Ghosts can't pass salt lines.
    * The five Elemental Dragons of Air, Wood, Fire, Water, and Earth.
    * The seven Incarnae is revered in most places, but might be put above or beneath the elemental dragons; The Unconquered Sun, Luna, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn.
    * The five colors associated with the Maidens. Yellow is associated with travels and messages; blue is associated with joy, love, sex, and is used both as the a common color for weddings and for prostitution; red is associated with war and battles; green is associated with secrets; violet is associated with death.
    * There are gods/spirits everywhere.
    * Rice is the staple food in many places, and rice wine is can probably be found about everywhere.
    * Tea Houses are common.
    * There was a great cataclysm a few centuries back; a great horror killing almost everyone.
    * The most powerful empire is the Realm; ruled by the Dragon Blooded, blessed with wast powers by the Elemental Dragons.

Any suggestions on what more to add to the list?
    Last edited by Lundgren; 12-13-2016, 12:48 PM.

Just thought of another obvious one.
    * A year is 420 days long (15 months á 28 days); ending with a long night (equivalent of five days long), where strange things might happen.

Comment

* The poles of the world are elemental with Earth at the center.

Comment

* The Realm is and has always been ruled by the Scarlet Empress. People who live in the Threshold or participate in global trade also know that she recently disappeared.
        * Five is a sacred number. There are Five Fates, Five Elements, Five Seasons, and so on.
        * There are people chosen by the gods and blessed with a fraction of their power to be champions and leaders of humanity - these are the Exalted. (Most people probably imagine Dragonblooded.)
        * There are other people who have gained strange, unnatural powers by congress with spirits or other unfathomable occult gobbledegook. (i.e. you know that magic exists)
        * The city of Thorns was recently overrun by an army of the dead, spearheaded by a monster the size of a castle. (That was about 10 years ago by the RY 768 start time, so I figure most people should know by now.)
        * North is cold, West is wet, South is hot, East is full of plants, and the Center is where the best farmland is.
        * Your uncle's wife's half-sister's mother's cousin once dropped a wooden bucket down the well. A strange winged creature came out of it carrying a golden bucket and a silver one, and asked which one she had dropped. She said "neither, the one I dropped was made of jade." Then the winged creature ate her. (i.e. you know you live in a fairy-tale world, and sometimes weird shit happens.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
          Just thought of another obvious one.
          * A year is 420 days long (15 months á 28 days); ending with a long night (equivalent of five days long), where strange things might happen.
          The five days of Calibration are separated by eerily moonless nights. They are not sunless; though they may be clouded or dismal as appropriate.

​Five Days Darkness is merely the name of the god who claimed the inauspicious Calendar dates of Calibration as his Domain. It is not a literal description of the days.

​( Some may house rule it otherwise, but a house rule is what it is. )
          Last edited by Greyman; 12-12-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
            The five days of Calibration are separated by eerily moonless nights. They are not sunless; though they may be clouded or dismal as appropriate.
            Hm, I apparently remembered that one incorrectly. So, another good thing about doing the list. Refreshing and correcting my own memory

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post

This list is a good list. The well story reminds me of something you'd read in the Immaculate Texts.

The only thing I'd add is EVERYONE knows the Scarlet Empress saved Creation from the Fair Folk. It's one of those stories where no one remembers the first time they heard it, but everyone knows it.

I write things.

Comment

I updated the first post with with the suggestions and reminders so far, putting it behind a spoiler tag to make it less unwieldy

Comment

Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
                  The current list: [SPOILER]

* Rice is the staple food in most places, and rice wine is the most common alcoholic drink.
                  * Tea Houses is common.

Any suggestions on what more to add to the list?
                  They grow rice in the North, huh? And the South, and the West?

I don't really think so, sorry.

Same thing with teahouses. Tea would grow, at most, in the East and Southeast.

Making everything generically East Asian is just as bad as making everything generically Feudal European aka Tolkien-esque, in my opinion. It's ..... boring, for lack of a better term.

Other than that, everything looks pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post

They grow rice in the North, huh? And the South, and the West?

I don't really think so, sorry.

Same thing with teahouses. Tea would grow, at most, in the East and Southeast.

Making everything generically East Asian is just as bad as making everything generically Feudal European aka Tolkien-esque, in my opinion. It's ..... boring, for lack of a better term.

Other than that, everything looks pretty sweet.

I run Asian Influence in Creation like Western influence in the real world. People may have heard of Tea Houses. Some may say the place they are running is a Tea House. But it doesn't serve tea or have rice paper screens or any other of the trappings of a Tea House. It's just called the Tea House so rich Realm people can spend their money there.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

I run Asian Influence in Creation like Western influence in the real world. People may have heard of Tea Houses. Some may say the place they are running is a Tea House. But it doesn't serve tea or have rice paper screens or any other of the trappings of a Tea House. It's just called the Tea House so rich Realm people can spend their money there.

If anything, it should be like Rome, or China.

Influential, even highly so, but people still have their own culture. Take a look at the Celts. Imported Roman and Greek materials and aspects of their culture .....but still had their own things and culture

I dunno, I just have gotten to the point where I almost-instantly knee-jerk a reaction to anything East-Asian in a place where there probably shouldn't be East-Asian things.

The Scavenger Lands? Go ahead, grow that rice. The Realm? Sure!

The North? ..... probably not. They almost certainly don't grow rice there. Corn, wheat, potatoes? Sure. Not rice.
                      Same thing with the South. The vaguely Mediterranean parts close to the sea could do grain, olives, grapes, while the desert inlands would instead focus on animal herding.
                      The West? Kelp, various fruits, with a heavy focus on fishing.

And, of course, everything gets modified by the terrain and weather. The parts of the North close to the Inland Sea could be kinda like France, and grow grapes and fruit. Parts further north could be like Germany or England, and grow grains. Further north is like Lapland, and follow herds of reindeer.

Anywhere the Realm has influence could be influenced by East Asia....... but that shouldn't be all there is.
                      Last edited by Boston123; 12-12-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

If anything, it should be like Rome, or China.

Influential, even highly so, but people still have their own culture.

China/Rome is the vibe I was going for, but better described.

The Scavenger Lands? Go ahead, grow that rice. The Realm? Sure!

The North? ..... probably not.

My Lookshian Twilight used to Import Sake at great expense to the Podunk Northern Town she settled in.

I write things.

Comment

China/Rome is the vibe I was going for, but better described.

My Lookshian Twilight used to Import Sake at great expense to the Podunk Northern Town she settled in.

But they didn't grow rice there, did they? Or Tea? Stuff had to be imported. Which is "fine", for a lack of a better term.

Just ..... don't say rice and rice wine are staples across most of Creation. They almost overwhelmingly aren't, if you go anywhere outside the close-in Threshold.

Comment

But they didn't grow rice there, did they? Or Tea? Stuff had to be imported. Which is "fine", for a lack of a better term.

Just ..... don't say rice and rice wine are staples across most of Creation. They almost overwhelmingly aren't, if you go anywhere outside the close-in Threshold.

In a roundabout way, we are agreeing with each other. :P

I write things.

Comment

In a roundabout way, we are agreeing with each other. :P
                              Welcome to the Exalted Forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X