Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2.x] Using the map of Creation from Ex3. What to use the Dreaming Sea area to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2.x] Using the map of Creation from Ex3. What to use the Dreaming Sea area to?

For the game I'm currently setting up, I'm going with a 2.5-ish setting and mechanics (at least it is far closer to 2.5 than to Ex3... ), but I'm thinking about using the map from Ex3. The game will start in the Hundred Kingdom area, or just beyond depending on the the details of the characters. So the Dreaming Sea area is far away from them, and quite possible completely unknown.

Anyway, I don't like the writeup in Ex3 for the area, so I will have to fill it up with something else. My first idea is to have it like the Mediterranean Sea during the Height of the Hellenistic era, but my second thought was that it would be to close to how I'm going to use the Hundred Kingdoms; even if my view of the Hundred Kingdoms is a lot more culturally diverse between all the city states.

The basic thought is that it is fairly isolated from the rest of creation. After all, the jungle just north of it should probably to too dangerous for most to pass, even if Ma-Ha-Suchi hadn't put his lair there. The "road" to the west, through the southern deserts? A couple of heavily armed caravans per year, and not a place that would support an army on the march.

So, my general thoughts so far...
    So no Realm Satrap down there. More likely a Realm embassy/regional Wyld hunt "outpost", and perhaps a few places where the Immaculate Order have managed to set up a temple. Also, no sorcerer kingdom able to match the Dragon Bloods of any Satrapsy.

Tossing both of them out is a large enough change to start from scratch. However, what I do want to keep is Palanquin as a city held up by a bunch of enormous statues.

Being fairly isolated, even if it has a common cultural ancestor with the rest due to the Shogunate era, it can be almost as different as Rome was to China.

So, to not just treading along in the same old tracks as I might do otherwise, I'm looking for all kind of ideas of what to use the area for

One thing to help start, what are the parts you hated about the area that caused you to want to change it for your game. We are given little info but I find it interesting.

I like the idea of far off from the Blessed Isle there are Empires at the edges of the World that have not really had to deal with the Realm or the Guild, with their own neighbors and mural of different cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      One thing to help start, what are the parts you hated about the area that caused you to want to change it for your game. We are given little info but I find it interesting.
      Mainly that it is an isolated area, but the write-up felt like just more of the same to me, Also, if the area is fairly isolated from the rest, then the only way for the Realm to actually project enough power in the area to subjugate any country would be through the defense grid. So even if I had wanted to use the area as written (which I currently don't), I would have to make up a way for the Realm to have created and maintaining their hold there for it.

I like the idea of far off from the Blessed Isle there are Empires at the edges of the World that have not really had to deal with the Realm or the Guild, with their own neighbors and mural of different cultures.
      Hm... perhaps both Lockshy and Realm agents are trying to recruit any lost egg they can find in the area. But I haven't really thought about the Guild. I like the idea there is either a culture, or a local organization, that makes it hard for the Guild to get a foothold down there. That could also create some interesting conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
        Mainly that it is an isolated area, but the write-up felt like just more of the same to me, Also, if the area is fairly isolated from the rest, then the only way for the Realm to actually project enough power in the area to subjugate any country would be through the defense grid. So even if I had wanted to use the area as written (which I currently don't), I would have to make up a way for the Realm to have created and maintaining their hold there for it.
        Uh, I don't get what you mean here. Are you complaining that Dreaming Sea is too much more of the same, ... or that it is not more of the same enough?

​The purpose of the Dreaming Sea is to have coastline that isn't reachable by the Realm's naval fleets, and thus not on the Threashold of the Realm.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
          Uh, I don't get what you mean here. Are you complaining that Dreaming Sea is too much more of the same, ... or that it is not more of the same enough?

​The purpose of the Dreaming Sea is to have coastline that isn't reachable by the Realm's naval fleets, and thus not on the Threashold of the Realm.
          That was an answer to what about it making me want to change it, why I don't like the way it is written. The western part is a satrapsy, and the western part has a force strong enough to stand against them, which is more of the same to me. If I had not minded that, I still have a problem with it because it is hard for the Realm to reach.

So, whatever foot I like to stand on, I have to change something. However, I have already decided I want to use the area for something entirely else than how it is currently written. I just haven't decided on what to use it for, and I'm looking for all kind of potential inspiration.

I hope that was clearer.

Comment

Prasad's relationship with the Realm is kind of odd. While on paper it's a satrapy, the fact that it gos around as an empire in itself and at least in the leak, had satrapies named out as its own, indicates it's kind of how you suggest the embassy thing works. Prasad even kind of thinks of itself as an extension fo the Realm and Scarlet Dynasty, not some mere client state or satrapy. I'd be surprised if the Realm even thinks it has to do much to keep it in check save the herresy stuff, which I'll note seems to actually be distant enough that the canon Order can't do much about.

I also fail to see how places like Champoor, Ysyr and Volivat are "more of the same" unless large young empires ran by various oddities and superhumans is that. Or that it's (to me) distinctly Indian thematics and aesthetics are somehow less exotic than Hellenistic.

And stuff.

And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Interesting. Still not what I would want to use the area for.

Comment

Umm I guess just go with your Greece idea. Perhaps add some regional languages (those one fourth languages) and a dreaming sea language used as a common tongue?

Do you want more city states? Or nations that share a culture and have multiple settlements?

Maybe some nonhuman Primordial races, or some major nations of fish and frogmen?

Sky's the limit if you are going off the rails.

Comment

Are you wanting something distinctly different than what the rest of Creation has to offer? Like you said, it's isolated from much of Creation, so what opponents/enemies of the Realm would want to set up shop there? It could be a region where those normally oppressed by the Realm could flourish. Fair Folk led kingdoms? Solar or Lunar Anathema ran city-states? Beastmen republics or democracies? A necropolis/city-state shadowland that's thematically different from Thorns? All of the above and then some?

If you're not into the setting's aesthetic as written and unsure of Hellenistic (which I think would be cool), what about Native American? Incan, Mayan, or Aztek style empires? Or maybe cultures more like the Native North Americans?

If the campaign moves into the Dreaming Sea area, will the characters be doing a lot of seafaring or will they be more involved with the lands surrounding it?

Good night sweet Green Sun Prince: And flights of demons beat thee to thy rest...with billyclubs!

Comment

I want something else than what is written. While I have some ideas, I want all kind of ideas so I'm not limited to only my own brain to pick from Even while a suggestion about a smurf village might be worthless at first glance. Still, a suggestion like that might lead to an idea of a village populated by creatures about three apples high, created by some odd Solar a long time ago, and actually fit the setting.

One of the reasons I was thinking about using a Hellenistic aesthetic, beside the Dreaming Sea is a bit Mediterranean in shape, is because my version of the Realm uses Junks, not triremes. The Dreaming Sea gives me also an image of a sea that can turn calm and blank as a mirror; just when you need speed to get out of Dodge. So I think triremes would fit the area.

I have no clue in what direction the game will be taking, so it is more of a "prepare to be able to improvise" situation One character will hail from Chiroscuro, and might have heard something about the area (or at lest that there is something in that direction).

Hm... a non-human primordial species having an underwater realm, where they have been hiding and slowly rebuilding since the early first age. I like that idea

A Beastmen republic or democracy? Sounds like a good contrast to the usual "barbaric tribes at the edge" stuff. Just got an image of a Meercat (Suricate) beastmen civilization somewhere south or southwest of Kamthahar; with their cities and towns hidden underground. High literacy, good engineers and their curiosity have given them several outstanding philosophers, inventors, and doctors.

Maybe a city (town) wiped out in the contagion, and the ghosts there still think it is part of the Shogunate. As they don't really need to resources they gather, even if they will take offense by anyone pointing out they are dead, they use it to finance agents looking for Anathemas, and support Wyld Hunts.

Fair Folk lead kingdom (or kingdoms) sounds plausible.

Considering Rathess isn't that far to the north, having south and central American influences to the northern coastal area wouldn't be out of question

Comment

My Game of Thrones style game is set in this area (a bit north of the Dreaming sea, craddled in the mountain range and isolated by the vast jungles.

Imagine 5 provinces held together by strong individuals, isolation and outside threats (Fair Folks and Ixcoatli expansionists). I gave it a very oriental / martial arts aesthetics.
                      It is a meritocracy, with strong traditions of Tournaments being held to determine who gets to certain offices (Hand of the King, or Grand General of the Armies). The King rules by divine right, until challenged by a valorous opponent or his death.
                      I built in the cultural idea of Adoption into a Clan: one has to be Adopted into a clan, not born to it. Noblemen have to adopt their own children if they want them to be part of the Clan (think ruling class). Outsiders can be adopted into a clan like anyone else, providing opportunity for characters from all over the setting to rise up to a position of influence (with the caveat that they have only a single year to do so, after which they would either be adopted, be exiled, or live as one of the "under-class").

Comment

Working...
                      X