Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pronunciation - How do you (yourself, personally) say... ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciation - How do you (yourself, personally) say... ?

Poll for everyone: When you see a name with Y (as a vowel) how do you say it? How do these names sound in your head?

gods: Lytek, Nysela, Ryzala, Sylvi, Tethys, Tylokan, Yesryk, Ystara
    demons: chrysogona, erymanthus, gilmyne, Calymdos, Euthychia, Ipithymia, Lypothymie
    Primordials: Cecelyne, Cytherea, Lykkennan
    behemoths: Elysande, Scathra yn Thera
    the elemental dragon Dyballe
    the Solar Exalt Tyraeth
    Gens Vagyn

I'm finalizing sounds for my Old Realm name generator and since Old Realm is written with 5 vowels, I won't include Y as a vowel... so I have to decide what vowel or dipthong it stands for. I have my own idea but I'd like to know what players say around the gaming table.

Thank you to everyone who answers.
    Last edited by Erinys; 12-25-2016, 01:59 AM.

• Erinys
    replied
    Yep, the pattern I see with apparent first-language English-speakers more-or-less matches what Wikipedia says about pronouncing "y" in English. It's usually /ai/ in light syllables (consonant+vowel), especially the first syllable of a word or a stressed syllable, and usually /i/ or /ɪ/ in heavy syllables (C+V+C, C+C+V, or C+C+V+C) and in the final syllable of a word.

Except several of you say /i/ in the Greek and Greek-looking names: Ipithymia, Euthychia, Cytherea, Lypothymie, erymanthus.

I may be the only person who says VAG-ine, YES-rike.

Thank you all for participating!
    Last edited by Erinys; 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    Here's my take on all of them and pronunciation notes:

i is pronounced quick
    ai is pronounced die or spire
    ee is pronounced sweet

gods: Lytek [Laitek], Nysela, Ryzala [Rizala], Sylvi [Silvee], Tethys [Tethis], Tylokan [Tailokan], Yesryk [Yesrik], Ystara [Eestara]
    demons: chrysogona [Chrisogona], erymanthus [ereemanthus], gilmyne [Gilmeen], Calymdos [Calimdos], Euthychia [Eutheechia], Ipithymia [Ipitheemia], Lypothymie [Laipotheemie]
    Primordials: Cecelyne [Ceceleen], Cytherea [Caitherea], Lykkennan [laikennan]
    behemoths: Elysande [Elisande], Scathra yn Thera [in]
    the elemental dragon Dyballe [daiball]
    the Solar Exalt Tyraeth [Tairaeth]
    Gens Vagyn [Vageen]

Huh, I'm both more an less consistent than I thought. Leading consonant + y is usually ai, most cases are i, and I'm using the silent e rule for ee.

Leave a comment:

• Walker-of-Ebony-Clouds
    replied
    Eh my group is a bunch of southerners so we probably butcher the pronunciation of everything... Everything is either slow & drawn out or so fast that the words literally roll together so much that a entire sentence can sound like a single untranslatable word... I have literally ran into a language barrier in some states because my English is so different sounding.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Man, you Germanic language speakers with your front rounded vowels and your mid-centralized unstressed vowels. *shakes head*

*is a monolingual English speaker*
    *has no real idea what languages half of you speak*

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
    How would you pronounce Tya? (as in the women from the west who tatoo and dress like men to be allowed to become sailors)
    I pronounce the Y as a consonant in that word.
    Last edited by Erinys; 01-05-2017, 01:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broken Masque
    replied
    Fun fact, it wasn't until the 3e core that I realized I've been pronouncing Sidereals wrong since their 1e splatbook came out.

Always said the first part like Sydney, rather than Cider.

So I hope they keep putting phonetic translations in the lexicons of future books.

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    gods: Lytek, Nysela, Ryzala, Sylvi, Tethys, Tylokan, Yesryk, Ystara
    demons: chrysogona, erymanthus, gilmyne, Calymdos, Euthychia, Ipithymia, Lypothymie
    the Solar Exalt Tyraeth
    Gens Vagyn
    Gods: LIE-tek, Nih-SAY-la, Rih-ZA-la, SILL-vee, TE-this, TILL-oh-kahn, YEZ-rick, IH-sta-ra
    Demons: Cri-SOG-o-na, er-ih-MAN-thus, GILL-meen, ca-LIM-doss, you-THICK-i-a, ip-ih-THIM-i-a, lip-o-THIM-i-ay
    Primordials: KECK-eh-line, KITH-er-ey-a, LICK-en-an
    Behemoths: el-ih-SAN-de, SCATH-ra een THER-a
    di-BALL-eh
    tih-RAY-eth
    VAH-gin

I may be weird, especially with the hard K sounds I put into the first two listed Primordials, but eh!

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Originally posted by ElfSpeaker View Post
    My pronunciation varies depending on the word. So [yesrik], [sesaleen], and [laitek]. And unfortunately, I don't see an easily derived rule in my pronunciation.
    I am seeing patterns both in individual answers, and overall for the names that have had several answers. (Even aside from players who use the same vowel in all these words.) But if I said what patterns I see then it might influence peoples' responses

Is anyone else willing to answer? I finally managed to edit the OP to include all the names I wanted to ask about.
    Last edited by Erinys; 01-04-2017, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Colognian
    replied
    Well: Ü

- I am from Köln

Last edited by Colognian; 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Since most of those are made up words or inspired by languages other than English, I pronounce the "y" as "ee", which is how it is read in Spanish in the very rare words that use it. In fact I pronounce all those words with Spanish phonetics, I don't omit any sound so I think theey should sound very strange to most people.

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    My pronunciation varies depending on the word. So [yesrik], [sesaleen], and [laitek]. And unfortunately, I don't see an easily derived rule in my pronunciation.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    TIE-ah. /taɪ-ə/ is how I do it.

And stuff.

Leave a comment:

• BadassOverlord
    replied
    How would you pronounce Tya? (as in the women from the west who tatoo and dress like men to be allowed to become sailors)

Leave a comment:

• Verzio
    replied
    gods: Lytek, Nysela, Ryzala, Sylvi, Tethy, Tylokan, Yesryk, Ystara

Lie-tek. Nie-sell-a. Rie-zal-la. Sill-vee. Teth-ee. Yes-rick. Is-tar-a

Chriss-oh-goe-na, air-ee-man-thus, gill-mine, Call-eem-dose, Youth-ee-chee-a, Ip-ith-ee-mee-a, Lie-poth-ee-mee

Sek-el-lee-nee, Sigh-thee-ree-a, Like-kenn-ann

El-lie-sand-ee, Scath-ra in Ther-a

Die-ball

the Solar Exalt Tyraeth

Tie-rae-eth

Gens Vagyn

Vag-inn

Leave a comment:

• Lundgren
    replied
    Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
    I'm Swedish so I'm not even going to try to tell you how I pronounce certain things.
    Pretty much this for me as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X