No announcement yet.

Corebook Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandmother passed on at the beginning of the month. Between the ongoing health issues beforehand and the various things that had to be handled afterward (and continue needing to be handed), I'm very glad my parents are retired so that they could do as much as they needed to and spend lots of time with her.

The reason I bring this up is because this basically took over their life for at least two months and required at least one week a month before that for a long time. I have no idea how this is going to affect my parents long term, but...

...Suffice it to say that I'm not going to complain about late books. I do hope that things get better for the Devs in 2017 though.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
      I do hope that things get better for the Devs in 2017 though.
      I hope that things get better for everyone in 2017 because 2016 sucked all around.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

• Ehhhh depends who you are.

Bit of a useless generalisation, that.

Comment

• For me specifically and when I think on it, it was kind of meh. For me in context of global stuff and anxiety/stress it's caused and how that'll impact me in the years down the raod? Fuck 2016.

And stuff.

And stuff.
          Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nightwinder View Post
            And dumb enough to neither notice nor care when it's crushing you
            Oh I think they know exactly what their doing...

Now if you want to avoid the land animal period that kills the most humans in any given year, watch out for hippopotami. Those suckers can run 19 mph on land and crush you in their mouth; doesn't matter they are vegetarians.

For something on the original topic; I wouldn't expect the follow up books (especially the Dragon-Blooded kickstarter) until after the original Deluxe edition KS is fully shipped and behind everyone. In my opinion there is too much risk of a perception problem "Well you guys haven't even finished the first kickstarter, why should anyone give you money now?"

It was an issue for Comcept who introduced a second kickstarter while the first game was still in development (they KSed the Not-Megaman videogame that bombed critically).
            Last edited by Naz; 01-22-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• I would not say my life has been easy. I've had multiple, major, painful surgeries, some with extra-shitty recoveries (at least four by the time I was eighteen, maybe more I've lost count). I have two different major medical conditions, one of which is so rare there are peer-reviewed medical articles about my specific case. I've lost family and close friends to terminal conditions, including cancer and dementia. I've felt the backhand of the universe on more than one occasion, and it fucking stings. My heart goes out to anyone that has suffered any or all of those things, and I wouldn't dream of competing on suffering. That's a sad and immature game.

I also have a job, and I'm sure most of the people that play Exalted have a job, or a similar obligation (school, university, familial dependents, etc). Within these contexts, it's normal and humane to give people leeway for major life events. We are all caught up in shit-storms from time to time. At a certain point, though, we are also expected to deliver. Professors expect late work to be turned in. Bosses expect time cards to get punched. Customers want their product delivered, physical or otherwise. Family and lovers expect chores and such to get done If I was continually not able to meet my obligations, I would expect others to relieve me of them by finding someone else to do the work, assuming I didn't quit first, regardless of personal issues. That has happened to me before.

It sucks, but that's life. We all gotta put up or shut up.

I'm certainly not saying this to be an asshole. I'm saying it because there's a ton of great TTRPGs being created right now by people who make their deadlines, and OPP is promoting new product on their website all the time. If Arms doesn't come out until late 2017, will as many people buy it? And if enough people don't buy Arms because they have moved on, what will it take to get them back? By my count, we are on track for one small supplement a year for two years. I say that because both the hardbacks are still in draft, and we have now experienced how long it takes to go from draft to dropped PDF. I'm putting Ex3 Core in 2015, which seems fair given both its lateness and when the material was actually available, regardless of when the book technically dropped.

By comparison, there are multiple members of this forum who have done more fan-work in less than six months. So, I feel it's entirely reasonable at this point to wonder if Exalted is going to get a decent product schedule going, and feel frustrated at the delays.

We are long past the toxic-screaming-on-kickstarter-because-one-book-is-three-months-late phase, here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                I would not say my life has been easy. I've had multiple, major, painful surgeries, some with extra-shitty recoveries (at least four by the time I was eighteen, maybe more I've lost count). I have two different major medical conditions, one of which is so rare there are peer-reviewed medical articles about my specific case. I've lost family and close friends to terminal conditions, including cancer and dementia. I've felt the backhand of the universe on more than one occasion, and it fucking stings. My heart goes out to anyone that has suffered any or all of those things, and I wouldn't dream of competing on suffering. That's a sad and immature game.
                Then don't.

Yes other people do this differently. Different projects are different, people are different, creative methodologies are different, people's support networks are different.

I appreciate that you are worried about the line. I understand you are frustrated. Thus far, the concerns about Ex3 being a 'bust' are fairly unhelpful, as is the Chicken Little routine about delays and the audience, and haven't be borne out by the sales or the general reception. Note I said 'unhelpful' - you can feel however you want but what matters is why you want the devs to read this? Or Rich? Or me? What are you seeking to accomplish?

Also either you can count it as 'out in 2015' or you can count it as 'still not out because backer copies are waiting to be shipped' - I've seen both statements made on the forums and by fans, and that doesn't help matters either.

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  The #1 human-killer among the domesticated members of the animal kingdom? Cows. Don't underestimate an animal that weighs ten times as much as you, is armed with hooves and horns, and has enough muscle behind its kick to snap a man's thighbone like a rotten branch.
                  My parents have a farm which they had to buy to run their fireworks business from, but they occasionally get a herd of cows to fatten up as a sideline business. Now, I still don't fully understand how this happened, but my mum ended up with two jersey calves that were orphaned so she decided to raise them by hand and treat them like pets. She named them Caramel and Milkshake, because one was a light brown colour and the other one had these excited spasms prompted by nothing in particular. It wasn't too long before they were looking out for her every time she left the house because she would usually bring a handful of something for them to eat. If they were a paddock or two away, they would run - nay, gallop - at full fuicking speed towards the house and my mother. They would slow down and stop and approach the last few feet slowly, but for a brief period of time there would still be two cows bolting towards her at full speed.

This alone could be unsettling, but then... the next herd of cows were birthed or bought onto the farm. So a small herd of some 50 calves were raised with two role-models who would hungrily sprint towards my mother whenever she appeared. And, the more adventurous ones quickly learned that this strange act of sprinting towards a human would sometimes be rewarded with a tasty snack. So before too long, whenever my mother left the house, an entire herd of cows would go bolting towards her, led by Caramel and Milkshake.

Now... my parents live a little way away and so I only see them every few months or so, which is a long time in the raising of cows, and while I met Caramel and Milkshake as calves, all of what has been described above had happened in between visits. So the first I learned of this new 'happy herd stampede' was when I went for a walk with my mother out of her house, to suddenly find a herd of 50 cows racing towards us at full pace, only to have them stop suddenly and start mooing for treats.

I, too, know the feeling of being scared shitless by cows.
                  Last edited by CapitanTypo; 01-25-2017, 02:29 AM.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

• Given what seems to have happened, I would expect in any normal job, someone like RichT would have just put someone in a position like the devs on temporary sabbatical and promoted another of the guys on the project to their role, or sourced someone outside to pick up the load, and maybe they stay in an advisory role. For mutual interest, and I would expect someone in the devs' role to be accept this (if you can't do the job, you wouldn't cling to it).

But I suppose creative projects, and ones with not much funding, which depend on a thin web of freelancers who are mostly compensated by their belief in the project, are just really different, and they just cannot share the load.

I am not much convinced by any of "In any preview, like 3 people at least were critical, in a whole thread and that was too much to take" or "Some guy said something bad to someone and then someone else said that guy was fun and that was terrible. I'm not going to say who any of these people are so you can test what I'm saying" or "You can feel what you want but please don't express your feelings publicly ever". (I'm sure anyone who thinks I'm a jerk for saying this already thinks that anyway, so I may as well be honest and put that out there so at least one person has said it.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                      But I suppose creative projects, and ones with not much funding, which depend on a thin web of freelancers who are mostly compensated by their belief in the project, are just really different, and they just cannot share the load.
                      Pretty much, though this applies beyond the narrow parameters you've stated.

Lets take, for example, comic books. Which pretty much gets to stop at "creative projects." Major comic book titles have to switch out the core creative teams. It's just something that happens as part of the industry. And it's pretty much always a super-risky time for that title. It's not just putting together talent, but talent that can keep the fans engaged while that talent wants to put their own creative effort forward. If Marvel and DC struggle with this sort of thing... that should give you an idea of how much harder it gets when we shrink down to an operation like Oynx Path.

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

My parents have a farm which they had to buy to run their fireworks business from, but they occasionally get a herd of cows to fatten up as a sideline business. Now, I still don't fully understand how this happened, but my mum ended up with two jersey calves that were orphaned so she decided to raise them by hand and treat them like pets. She named them Caramel and Milkshake, because one was a light brown colour and the other one had these excited spasms prompted by nothing in particular. It wasn't too long before they were looking out for her every time she left the house because she would usually bring a handful of something for them to eat. If they were a paddock or two away, they would run - nay, gallop - at full fuicking speed towards the house and my mother. They would slow down and stop and approach the last few feet slowly, but for a brief period of time there would still be two cows bolting towards her at full speed.

This alone could be unsettling, but then... the next herd of cows were birthed or bought onto the farm. So a small herd of some 50 calves were raised with two role-models who would hungrily sprint towards my mother whenever she appeared. And, the more adventurous ones quickly learned that this strange act of sprinting towards a human would sometimes be rewarded with a tasty snack. So before too long, whenever my mother left the house, an entire herd of cows would go bolting towards her, led by Caramel and Milkshake.

Now... my parents live a little way away and so I only see them every few months or so, which is a long time in the raising of cows, and while I met Caramel and Milkshake as calves, all of what has been described above had happened in between visits. So the first I learned of this new 'happy herd stampede' was when I went for a walk with my mother out of her house, to suddenly find a herd of 50 cows racing towards us at full pace, only to have them stop suddenly and start mooing for treats.

I, too, know the feeling of being scared shitless by cows.
                        ...one of my mother's cows is named Caramel

(others include Tripe, and Brisket, she is not so emotional usually).

And Ghosthead, I am not in the business of sending threats myself, nor in the business of bringing fandoms down on someone's head, when they've been banned and gotten kicked from pretty much everywhere that discusses Ex3 that does ban people. I aim to walk a line between useless gossip and informing y'all of the realities of why some of us are less than keen to interact with fandom. This isn't my first round in a rodeo, I'm not about to pull the 'I just innocently mentioned a name to my rabid followers and oh no some bad people took it too far but it isn't my fault' - not that I have rabid followers, you understand, but there's a whole lot of negative energy just bursting with blame right now. Sure you can imply I made it up because I didn't give you enough information to 'test', but it's rather an antagonistic way of approaching me for information, I suppose.

But to address that last little bit of pokery, "You can feel what you want but please don't express your feelings publicly ever":

Feel what you want, and take some responsibility for what you actively say. The Devs get held to that, regardless of the chasm between what they said and what the interpretation was, or how fatigued they were that day, or how many times they've answered that exact question, how many nasty PMs they've gotten that day etc. I try and extend some courtesy to fans - afterall, we're all here for something like the same reason - so I'm mostly campaigning for some usefulness to the conversations. Thinly veiled 'well I have it worse' or 'too sensitive' or 'making shit up' or 'but censorship' are not useful. Pie in the sky fantasies about what you would do with the business end of things, also unhelpful when we're not sitting around discussing 'let's pretend we have endless money and time'.

And I asked a genuine question - exactly what do you want to happen now I have read your post? Exactly what was your aim in typing all of that out, including all the implications? I am trying to understand what it is that someone can say, or explain, that will allow some level of understanding to be reached.

As a pointer though, what you're playing, what you're doing with Ex3, workshopping campaigns, characters and homebrews, telling stories? That's all useful, or at least fun. Getting clarification on stuff? Also fun and useful. Community is not created by eating our own, not when we have such an AMAZING wealth of people doing awesome things that we can feast on instead.

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucy Darling View Post
                          And I asked a genuine question - exactly what do you want to happen now I have read your post?
                          I don't want to answer for anybody BUT I do feel like a 'Corebook Rush' philosophy that got the corebooks out before other content and delivered them in a slightly faster way while not imposing on the Devs to work more/harder would help mitigate the damage to the line and allow for homebrew and community projects to cover until sorcery / setting / artifact / etc books can be released. Particularly if each corebook has a small ST section with sample artifacts, like 1e and 2e did.

I think it's reasonable, this far into the development process, to take a frank look at how the pacing of releases is working under this new dev regime and to adjust course accordingly. None of this is intended to ask more of the already overworked devs, just to shift where the effort that is already being spent is focused.

Comment

• Hey look, I made a thing.

Eastern Aurochs:

The Eastern Aurochs is a large, muscular wild breed of cattle found in the east as well as the bear north. Standing six feet tall and powerfully built they strike an imposing figure, made all the more intimidating by their surprising speed and agility. Although they are strict herbivores and relatively slow to anger, when enraged they tend to fight fiercely until the object of its fury has run out of sight or is trampled into dust. Adult bulls have been known to destroy entire caravans. True beasts of renown, they are only hunted by the most powerful, brave and foolish. The only known successful taming of these extremely stubborn beasts was by Clan Turnbull of Aventale, the city of castles. The legend of the clan's birth stating that a jester once leaped upon a raging Auroch and turned it aside to save his king.

Essence: 1
                            Willpower: 6
                            Join Battle: 9 dice
                            Health Levels: -0x1 / -1x5 / -2x5 / -4 / incap

Speed Bonus: +2
                            Actions: Feat of Strength 14 dice may attempt strength 5 feats. Intimidating snort 6 dice, resist poison and disease 6 dice, senses 4 dice

Combat:
                            Attack (gore): 10 dice (damage 14 minimum 5)
                            Attack(Trample): 6 dice (damage 12 minimum 4)

Evasion 3, Parry 4

Soak/hardness: 14/5

Special attacks:

By the Horns: As the horns of the bull are turned aside or slipped past a quick shake of the head tries to capture the evasive enemy. After making an unsuccessful gore attack the Auroch may spend a point of willpower and reflexively make a grapple attack with eight dice, twelve to control. However if an opponent beats the Auroch on the control roll, for the duration of the grapple the opponent can control the bull's movement completely.

Numbed by Rage: whenever the Auroch loses a health level it ignores wound penalties until its next turn.

Devastating Charge: an attack made by the Auroch immediately after moving increases its damage by three.

Rampaging destruction: If the bull moves out of close combat toward another enemy with the eminent to attack it does not have to disengage from enemies already in close range.

Comment

• Lucy Darling Thank you for your responses, patience, and civility. I can say from my experience in the San Diego gaming community that many people are excited and pleased with EX3. People are running chronicles, making homebrew, debating rules interpretations, and over all having fun. There is little to no concern over new releases as the core book is so massive, people are still reading and figuring out how to run and play using just the core. Miracles was a welcomed treat by many folks.

I will admit that I was frustrated because I was going to wait until The Realm and Dragonblooded book came our to run my Solars on the Blessed Isle Chronicle. However, I have let that frustration go and decided to just run it anyway using the corebook and some homebrew based on the various posts you have shared with us about the DB and Realm book.

I like your insight and ideas Lucy, and I am really looking forward to seeing your work in the upcoming releases.

"May you live in interesting times"

Storyteller of The Hakura Chronicle

Comment

• Originally posted by Piff View Post
                                a 'Corebook Rush' philosophy that got the corebooks out before other content and delivered them in a slightly faster way while not imposing on the Devs to work more/harder
                                How are they going to produce something more quickly while not needing to work harder, or even as hard as they currently are?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X