Corebook Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lucy Darling View Post
    I have, on and off, considered doing a 'Lucy vs the Devs' thread where I post snippets of things. What we have been working on, media being consumed, reviews and stuff. I usually decide against it because I don't want to expose my best friends (or me) to the mud that gets slung if someone takes the 'we talked evocations' to mean EVERYTHING DELAYED AND WRONG THINGS WORKED ONNNNN, or even worse, liking the wrong kind of media. But things have gotten better, I have to be honest. So I might run it past the Devs again, see how they feel about it. It won't be a Dev diary of any sort, just a confirmation that we are all still alive and stuff is being worked on.
    Did they like this idea?

Comment

• what is this submissions page you speak of?

For an explanation on what I am doing for Ex3 Absorptions look: Here
      Looking for critiques and brain storming on Fivefold Shadow Hand Path: Here

Comment

• Originally posted by Piff View Post

Did they like this idea?
        About as well as I like it. Which is to say, still under discussion as to what it'd look like because that ultimately decides if it will happen. All three of us are painfully aware of how badly things can be taken out of context, and how upset and angry people get when they see the Devs doing things other than writing Exalted, so we are cautious. Also there were other unfriendly things happening at times, which didn't help and cause us to be extra cautious. Possibly to a fault, but it is what it is.

Also all of us have major skin-crawls at the idea of micromanaged update things, with people watching us write and judging our progress. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but project management matrices and processes rarely actually reflect what creative work looks like. Thinking work can resemble everything from procrasti-cleaning to staring at a wall for two hours, which is rather unexciting. The idea of trying to turn that into an update? Eeeshh. I watch my poor friends have to do that with micromanaging supervisors and it is not great for their work.

I've had way too much experience watching a fun happy preview or sneak peek or snippet turn into WOE STURM UND DRANG so that's something I know I will need to keep an awareness of in terms of how I handle it and what I post (I do anyway, but if I commit to an update thingo, even moreso). The last thing I want to do is add drama to the forums, y'know? I like seeing everyone doing cool shit - even if I don't comment, I probably have read stuff and enjoyed the new shit y'all come up with. I don't wanna wreck that with the sourness and snark that characterised the forums for a while.

At the same time, they are witty fun guys with neat insights to media, games, development, and writing, and I often want to share that stuff with the fans because I think it contextualises a lot of their work, and it certainly humanises them.

Originally posted by Maudova View Post
        what is this submissions page you speak of?
        http://theonyxpath.com/submission-guidelines/

". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

Comment

• Maybe a way to keep it light and easy: snippets of casual conversation about media consumed that evokes Exalted? Maybe answer a short question about something to do with your own games that you've run?

Like to give an example, if you guys watched Mad Max, giving short answers on who you think might be Exalted in that story, or how x or y group in Game of Thrones would totally be a satrapy in the North, or "I recommend this tv show because the fight scenes are so Exalted" et al.

I'm as excited as anybody else is to hear about books getting developed and written, but I think the thing I'd love to hear the most are the little things, or the things which require the least mental/emotional effort to discuss and offers the opportunity for some of us newer fans (I only started playing/reading Exalted this last year, and holy crap I like it!) to get to know you guys.

For what it's worth, I get the impression a lot of the most toxic people are gone/no longer welcome here, so there's a decent opportunity to go forward a bit more positively.
          Last edited by Leetsepeak; 02-04-2017, 05:31 AM.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naz View Post
            Now if you want to avoid the land animal period that kills the most humans in any given year, watch out for hippopotami. Those suckers can run 19 mph on land and crush you in their mouth; doesn't matter they are vegetarians. :eek
            Just in case anyone was unaware of the great regard in which Exalted 2Ed held the baby-faced murder monster, the Hippopotamus: The hippos of Exalted 2Ed were the Nephilim of hippodom, and the proof is in the corebook's Feats of Strength table (p. 127).

Str+Ath ---- Lift (lbs.) ---- Sample Feat
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            4 ---- 350 ---- Lift a Pony
            5 ---- 450 ---- Lift a Donkey
            8 ---- 800 ---- Lift a Horse
            10 ---- 1200 ---- Lift a Camel
            13 ---- 1800 ---- Lift a Yeddim
            16 ---- 2500 ---- Lift a locked Portcullis
            20 ---- 4500 ---- Lift a Hippopotamus

Either the Hippos of Creation are fivefold-sized Dire Hippos, in which case, they'd should be given the standard alt-spelling name variant that denotes this (Austrech/ Raiton/ Simhata/ Siaka vs. Ostrich/ Raven/ Horse/ Shark), or, Borgstrom, Chambers, Goodwin, et al., had a profound respect for the legendary squirminess of the river-horse.
            Last edited by 39Steps; 02-04-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 39Steps View Post

Just in case anyone was unaware of the great regard in which Exalted 2Ed held the baby-faced murder monster, the Hippopotamus: The hippos of Exalted 2Ed were the Nephilim of hippodom, and the proof is in the corebook's Feats of Strength table (p. 127).

Str+Ath ---- Lift (lbs.) ---- Sample Feat
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              4 ---- 350 ---- Lift a Pony
              5 ---- 450 ---- Lift a Donkey
              8 ---- 800 ---- Lift a Horse
              10 ---- 1200 ---- Lift a Camel
              13 ---- 1800 ---- Lift a Yeddim
              16 ---- 2500 ---- Lift a locked Portcullis
              20 ---- 4500 ---- Lift a Hippopotamus

Either the Hippos of Creation are fivefold-sized Dire Hippos, in which case, they'd should be given the standard alt-spelling name variant that denotes this (Austrech/ Raiton/ Simhata/ Siaka vs. Ostrich/ Raven/ Horse/ Shark), or, Borgstrom, Chambers, Goodwin, et al., had a profound respect for the legendary squirminess of the river-horse.
              Or you know, they had an error in the core book that they correct with the first or second set of errata, back when the 2e errata was a MS-Word document.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Cross posting the hell out of this. Thanks Lucy.

For an explanation on what I am doing for Ex3 Absorptions look: Here
                Looking for critiques and brain storming on Fivefold Shadow Hand Path: Here

Comment

About as well as I like it. Which is to say, still under discussion as to what it'd look like because that ultimately decides if it will happen.
                  I guess under discussion is good? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                    Or you know, they had an error in the core book that they correct with the first or second set of errata, back when the 2e errata was a MS-Word document.
                    Apparently older male hippos break 7,000 pounds and the largest ever recorded was 9,900. So maybe they are underestimating. Still I thought, yeddims were larger than than that.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post

Apparently older male hippos break 7,000 pounds and the largest ever recorded was 9,900. So maybe they are underestimating. Still I thought, yeddims were larger than than that.
                      Yeddim I believe are meant to be shaggy Paraceratheriums, which might have weighed up to 20 tonnes (44,000 lb).

So yeah, the scaling seems off.

And stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

Yeddim I believe are meant to be shaggy Paraceratheriums, which might have weighed up to 20 tonnes (44,000 lb).

So yeah, the scaling seems off.

And stuff.
                        Yeah it's just irksome to me. almost 15 years of errata saying "Whoops we mixed up the Yeddim and Hippo lines on the feats of strength table!" and it still keeps getting hauled up.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• The feats of strength table was accurate for the original yeddim design. The reason the map scale changed at the start of 1e was so they would have room to make the yeddim bigger.

Comment

• So there are like 3 unofficial generations of yeddim?

That gives me an idea for homebrew about yeddims.

Comment

Working...
                            X