Corebook Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGraySoul View Post
    I personally found the piece, where the Empress is wearing a leather corset and standing on Chejop wearing black jade high heels, to be a little out of place, but it grew on me.
    Is it too late to get @Jen in on this? Considering his take on the throne room pic in his more recent thread…
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Probably not, the future is always in flux, time is an illusion; I think we can always get more sexy men and specifically sexy Chejop in the DB Book if we work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Right, right, that's why there's no sidebar in the Ex3 Core about running mortals as a viable play option, and-

No, wait, I think I can do better.

Yeah, gosh, I forgot that the Sidereals did a Working that causes Solars who set foot on the Blessed Isle to lose their Exaltations, leaving Dragon-Blooded as the only option for play in the-

Grr. Hold on, I can do this.

Heck, ya got me. It's not like the new Core makes explicit mention of a number of Solar prisoners escaping into the heartland of the Realm as an obvious hook for a Solar game set on the Blessed Isle; it looks like we're gonna need rules for DBs before anyone can-

Ah, fuck it, you get where I'm going with this.

Consider, then, since you seem to be forgetting:

The name of the book is The Realm. It's not just about play in the Imperial City, or even the Blessed Isle; it's a setting book about the Realm. The writers said it wasn't just gonna be a rehash of Compass: Blessed Isle; they intend to cover new ground, including a number of satrapies under the boot of the most powerful empire in the world. And even if the book was limited to the Blessed Isle (and I don't think it will be!), it's not like PCs particularly need to be or encounter Dragon-Blooded in order to have awesome adventures there.
        ​This was more aggressive/confrontational than necessary to make your point, it reads like you're trying to start an argument. Please don't do this again.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
        Posts in this color are moderator posts
        Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
        Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

A game set in the realm sounds rather boring if there are only five Dragonbooded statblocks.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Originally posted by Darksider View Post
            This was more aggressive/confrontational than necessary to make your point, it reads like you're trying to start an argument. Please don't do this again.
            Went overboard on the sarcasm, I suppose. Mea culpa.

Comment

It's true the primary inhabitants of the Realm are mortals, not Dragon-Blooded. But, the primary challenge of the Realm setting is the Dragon-Blooded, at least from a Solar perspective. Dragon-Bloods provide the risk, the jeopardy.

Sure, I can throw Black-Helms and Demons at my players. They can bargain with mortal Nellens merchants and try to avoid being too good at it. But those are appetizers at best. A Dawn's player might find carving through a wing of elite troops fun, in the same way popcorn is a good food. Much like every piece of popcorn is much the same, each such encounter will be much the same. The Dawn will expend some amount of resources, and crush the threat.

The best way to make that stuff interesting is to put a couple DBs behind the mortals. Now the Dawn has to manage her resources better.

So, for me at least, saying I can run a story arc or campaign set on the Blessed Isle without Dragon-Blooded is a little like saying I can watch Avengers: Infinity War Part I and be satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                It's true the primary inhabitants of the Realm are mortals, not Dragon-Blooded. But, the primary challenge of the Realm setting is the Dragon-Blooded, at least from a Solar perspective. Dragon-Bloods provide the risk, the jeopardy.
                ​I take your point, but I would also hope that something the Realm book will provide is challenges based on the institutions of the Realm and the manners in which they have reshaped cultures into serving their purposes in a manner that is not immediately alleviated by driving their military forces away, especially when they take the form of having created a certain dependence on the Realm.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                  In my group's opinion, it's not a finished game yet because of the amount of homebrewing currently required when it comes to NPC's, splats, monsters, artefacts, and evocations. It's not a finished game because things that are immensely important to the setting like Dragonblooded basically don't have mechanics. We could theoretically just use the NPC's, splats, monsters and evocations listed in the core book, but our imaginations are bigger than that and trying to railroad the game to only interact with the NPC's, splats, monsters and evocations currently in the book would be rather artificial.

Congratulations if you're fine with the lack of content, not everyone else is. Right now there is more reason for me to play Exalted with a generic rules system like Mutants and Masterminds or FATE, simply because it can cover the mechanics that are missing.

I get that. Like any fan, I'd love to have all the books now, and I sympathize with hesitating to do your own thing. However having done Exalted in the past with M&M myself, there are several pitfalls that M&M winds up encountering which in the end, pushed me to reconsider diving into EX3 and boy am I glad I did. Respectfully, I must disagree with you on there not being any material, for there is actually a great deal of it. Its similar to saying that if you don't have the newest version of a Iphone, you don't have a phone worth using.

In an effort to offer up some hopefully useful advice from someone who's been where you are at though...

My recommendation, given your feelings, is that if you're willing to put in the work to "translate" EX with M&M, you're served better IMHO to take that energy and convert EX2E into 3E. Its not seamless or without issue, but the spirit of the material remains untainted/uncompromised if you make the effort, and honestly its way less effort than taking EX and porting it to a D20 system. EX 2E/3E are far more similar than not, whereas M&M doesn't have several key areas/mechanisms that are nearly as elegant as EX is handling them and having been there and done that myself, there is significant stuff lost in translation. Mind you, I love M&M and its flexibility, but (IMO) its very much apples and rutabagas.

There are a number of forum members who have provided their homebrews on the other splat books that I've looked at, I may not like everything they've done, but I've found their work both inspirational and useful. My current group is using the 2E DB book fairly extensively so far and while we at times experience a issue or two, for the most part we do pretty good updating them with 3E's assets. As far as Lunars go...ugh...that's a mine field of a topic, I used to really like them until I hit the forums and ran into heated fanboism where asking a simple question could get pitchforks and torches shoved in your face.(to be fair, IMO WW royally dropped the ball with them twice so fans going into full compensation mode is understandable--still off-putting though)

Finally, not intended as a dig at you or anyone else who shares your opinion but I've run many a game of various titles/franchises with far less resources than what I have on hand right now with EX3E, all to satisfying effect. Admittedly, its more effort, but at the same time, set free your imagination and fear not to tread in areas the authors haven't laid out for you already. You'll make some mistakes, share some laughs and grumbles, and remember it years later as some of the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker1728 View Post
                    Its similar to saying that if you don't have the newest version of a Iphone, you don't have a phone worth using.
                    Only if the current iphone lacked the ability to make calls requiring people to make apps for it to do the most obvious thing you want a phone for. And even then, it's more like asking for an update which puts the obviously required feature in than a whole new phone.

My recommendation, given your feelings, is that if you're willing to put in the work to "translate" EX with M&M, you're served better IMHO to take that energy and convert EX2E into 3E. Its not seamless or without issue, but the spirit of the material remains untainted/uncompromised if you make the effort, and honestly its way less effort than taking EX and porting it to a D20 system. EX 2E/3E are far more similar than not, whereas M&M doesn't have several key areas/mechanisms that are nearly as elegant as EX is handling them and having been there and done that myself, there is significant stuff lost in translation. Mind you, I love M&M and its flexibility, but (IMO) its very much apples and rutabagas.
                    1) "Translating" to mutants and masterminds takes maybe five minutes at most
                    2) I have literally no experience with Exalted and do not feel comfortable converting and homebrewing for a system I don't understand.
                    3) I cannot convert 2e to 3e as I lack the funds to purchase any 2e books and to be honest, from everything I've heard 2e doesn't sound that brilliant.
                    4) Porting exalted to M&M isn't like your porting the system to d20. You're just running a mutants and masterminds game set in the Exalted setting, requires no effort beyond the usual expected for mutants and masterminds (which seems considerably less than running an Exalted game since exalted seems to want you to homebrew all your opponents & equipment without any real guidelines on how to make said material).

There are a number of forum members who have provided their homebrews on the other splat books that I've looked at, I may not like everything they've done, but I've found their work both inspirational and useful. My current group is using the 2E DB book fairly extensively so far and while we at times experience a issue or two, for the most part we do pretty good updating them with 3E's assets. As far as Lunars go...ugh...that's a mine field of a topic, I used to really like them until I hit the forums and ran into heated fanboism where asking a simple question could get pitchforks and torches shoved in your face.(to be fair, IMO WW royally dropped the ball with them twice so fans going into full compensation mode is understandable--still off-putting though)
                    I'm sure it's understandable if I would rather just use official content for my first few games rather than leaping into homebrew.

Finally, not intended as a dig at you or anyone else who shares your opinion but I've run many a game of various titles/franchises with far less resources than what I have on hand right now with EX3E, all to satisfying effect. Admittedly, its more effort, but at the same time, set free your imagination and fear not to tread in areas the authors haven't laid out for you already. You'll make some mistakes, share some laughs and grumbles, and remember it years later as some of the best of times.

Except you can do all that in M&M, without having to make up charms and enemies from nothing every five minutes.
                    Last edited by milo v3; 01-07-2017, 08:12 PM.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• I've been playing Exalted since 1st edition... and my biggest bug with the setting is that WW has always brought out another edition at the end of the 'last splat'.

1st edition was the Alchemical splat... then 2nd Edition came out... and ended with the Reclamation (Infernal book + The Return of the Scarlet Empress).

What I hope for 3rd Edition is that they have something more to add after the splat books that will come out... they will have other stuff to add and not a 4th Edition and wait 'again' for the whole line to be rebooted. I want a stable and scalable 3rd Edition that doesn't end with the final splat but moves forward without rehashing a new system every time. I think the Devs are doing that... they are adding value and that takes time.

At first when 3rd came out I was like... already? Then it took some time (okay ALOT of time) but the book finally came out, and I'm super happy with it. I like the system. I like the setting. I'm sorta grateful that 2nd Edition went the path it did in revealing almost everything behind the curtain (for me anyways... I can now choose what I want to include without home-brewing weird stuff).

And please make Lunars and Sidreals no wait! Make everything awesome!

To come back to the topic at hand... yes I wish the books would be out faster, but I understand that they are doing the best they can... and I don't find fault in the Dev's lack of involvement with the forum community, it can be as toxic as the current forums on Star Citizen (another game I backed and that is late). John Morke stated on Exaltwitch that he's the type of guy that takes time to compose a response and flesh out his ideas... and that is how he operates and that's cool with me. As for Holden, he has a totally different style of communicating. They are both busy developing the game and that I'm 100% for that.

IMHO

Comment

• Originally posted by Pram View Post
                        1st edition was the Alchemical splat... then 2nd Edition came out... and ended with the Reclamation (Infernal book + The Return of the Scarlet Empress).
                        Um......nooooo ? I just google it, after MoEP: Infernal there are still Compass: Malfeas, North and Autocthonia, the Alchemical book, Shard of Exalted Dream, Master of Jade, Scroll of Hero and four or five other books.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• You won't have to worry about that for a long time. At the rate they are going I doubt third edition will be done for at least twenty more years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post

Um......nooooo ? I just google it, after MoEP: Infernal there are still Compass: Malfeas, North and Autocthonia, the Alchemical book, Shard of Exalted Dream, Master of Jade, Scroll of Hero and four or five other books.
                            You are right Jen... I made an error on the specific publication dates.. but doesn't effect my previous post. It still supports what I said about the eternal waiting time for books to come out.

Look at the schedule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_publications

MoEP - INF = April 2009
                            (other books)
                            MoEP - Alch = Feb 2010* (they have a typo on the Wikipedia...)
                            (other books)
                            RotSE = August 2010

regardless of the order of books that came out and in what order... do you see another 20 books expanding the universe in the 1st Edition or the 2nd Edition? I'm not seeing any. That means that when 3rd Edition comes out and they bring on the last Splat... within 1 year or 2 year they will reboot. My post was saying that I HOPE that they add more. I hope they expand and just build out the world or something and not just reboot every decade for the same types of stuff (2nd Edition... I'm looking at you!).

Look at it this way: I've known since the early 2000s (edit: that could be false... not sure it was a looong time ago - I just know that when 2nd Edition came out and Infernals hadn't come out I was pissed off) that Infernals existed... so from 2001 to 2005 = No Infernals. Then from 2006 to 2009 I had to wait again and it finally came out. that is... 9 Years on waiting for a concept splat. Then they put in RotSE... and it all ends! (Yes there was MoEP - Alch, but I found that the content for the storyline (Metaplot) was weak... it had already come out in 1st Edition).

Anyways, That's the point I was trying to make. I have a conflicting emotions about Exalted 3rd Edition. I'm happy as shit that it is out, and I love it BUT I'm feeling the burn of having to wait a decade again for books. <--- I hope I'm wrong! Onyxpath should hire more Ink Monkeys!

So there!
                            Last edited by Pram; 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Most of the original ink monkeys are the current writers of Ex3. To have more ink monkeys, new talented writers should arise from the ranks of mere fans again. *Looks around*

Join the Strife

Comment

• There are a few folks on here who I'd nominate (mostly people who've done tight splat conversions and rules rewrites - you know who I'm talking about - and to a lesser extent, the fewer writers of pitch perfect lore). Still, I figure they'd have no interest in the gig else they'd be in it.

Or they could just, well, contract people who've done really good jobs on other gamelines, even if they aren't yuge Exalted fans... Kind of would be cool to see new blood and people relating to Exalted through stuff they know and dig that it refers to.

(Tangent: There was another writer for What Fire Has Wrought who started posting on here, I can't remember her name though now.)

Comment

Working...
                                X