Corebook Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
    (Tangent: There was another writer for What Fire Has Wrought who started posting on here, I can't remember her name though now.)
    Maybe you're talking about Lucy Darling, I think.

Comment

• Getting people not too familiar with the gamline to write things as an outsourced thing results in Sidereal 2e Charmsets and Scroll of Heroes. Or just as bad, the Fiction Anthology. Which I think is a big thing the devs are pretty hellbent on avoiding this time around.

And stuff.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• IMO I would say getting inexperienced writers combined with poor developing and editing does that. (But how much do I really know about the inner workings of 2e's process?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Protector152 View Post
          I think it comes down to economy of scale and how deadlines are handeled.

White Wolf had at least one full time team working on Exalted, Maybe even one team per book. On top of that, my understanding is that they set the deadline and the team always hit it, even it it ment that the book had virtually no Quality Control.

On the other hand Onyx Path has maybe three full time staff, everyone else is freelance so they have to do other work to pay the bills. Their attitude to deadlines seems to be that as long as the game is the best it can be then Deadlines don't matter as much

Project managers, they really need project managers that are separate from the Dev team.

Comment

• Hasn't Richard Thomas more or less been doubling as project manager? I understand that the extent through which things get delayed is a concern, but as is Onyx Path's full time eployers can be counted on one hand since it's been founded as is. Running a TRPG company was only ever really profitable as TSR during it's heyday. Besides that, we are going to be getting new systems with Arms of the Chosen we would not have gotten otherwise if things have not been delayed it looks like, and these are changes that Richard is aware of and has given the okay to.

On the other hand, adding a new project manager might even delay the books currently in production as that project manager would have to be brought up to speed with the nature of the project and it's inner workings, guiding principles behind the goals of the project. After all that, they might still make the same calls that Richard would have made anyway, since so far it looks like the Onyx Path is willing to prioritize the long term health of the line rather than the short term profitability and the peace of mind their forums would have due to faster releases. Not to mention, in many of the cases the delays in producing the core were partly due to managing so many freelancer artists and finding replacements for those who could not manage to complete what was required of them in some way or another.

Lastly, you said project managers, as in plural? As of now there are eightish people working on the line on a contractual basis, up from the sevenish we had during the development phase of the core book. Having even 2 project managers means that your team is now 20% project managers and that looks a lot like administrative bloat. Conflicts of opinion between them might drive the quality and speed of producing corebooks down further.

Even from an outsider prespective, I do not think the Onyx Path has the capital to worry about hiring on their devs and writers and artists, and in all likelyhood they would need to do that before they can worry about hiring a dedicated project manager to the game line let alone several. I am sure they would love to if they had the chance to do so, but as it stands they don't.

Comment

• I wasn't really meaning to suggest hiring more people, or firing other people, or anything like that.

I just felt like doing the corebooks first with highest priority would help salvage 3e from the depths of RPG obscurity. Right now it's a fading star.

I feel like having a strong foundational world would allow for homebrew and forum energy to sustain the line until more exotic 'sub books' were needed. Besides, we've got tons of 2e stuff to adapt! It's more important to have all the characters people love first, like Alchemicals, Infernals etc.

Lots of people I knew quit at the end of 2e because those splats were no longer around and are still 'waiting' for them to come back but they won't wait 10 years lol.

Comment

• I would argue that Dragon-Blooded and books that aren't just rehashes of material from 1e and 2e are what're more important. Different Skies and The Realm I think are actualy pretty important for Exalted 3e having its own image and place to be. And some splats, like Infernals, likelyw ill be os changed anyhow that it's not really a matter whether they're out sooner or later ofr conversion purposes.

And stuff.
                Last edited by Blaque; 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM.

And stuff.

Comment

• I really don't think it's as simple as "push out all the Exalted types, the rest can wait". ATM I'm running a politics and conquest campaign set in the Hundred Kingdoms and the only Exalted type I really feel I desperately need a splatbook for are the Dragon-Blooded. At the same time, I regularly find myself wishing I had full rules for Fair Folk and Ghosts and more premade spirits of all kind. And some more Artifacts, and maybe better guidelines on making my own... and some kind of "Creation's Gazetteer" would be very nice... I think you get the point - while different Exalted splats are welcome and readily anticipated, you can't make a campaign with just Exalts in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piff View Post
                    I wasn't really meaning to suggest hiring more people, or firing other people, or anything like that.

I just felt like doing the corebooks first with highest priority would help salvage 3e from the depths of RPG obscurity. Right now it's a fading star.

I feel like having a strong foundational world would allow for homebrew and forum energy to sustain the line until more exotic 'sub books' were needed. Besides, we've got tons of 2e stuff to adapt! It's more important to have all the characters people love first, like Alchemicals, Infernals etc.

Lots of people I knew quit at the end of 2e because those splats were no longer around and are still 'waiting' for them to come back but they won't wait 10 years lol.
                    What do you mean by "salvage 3e from the depths of RPG obsucrity. Right now it's a fading star"? I don't agree... do you have any sources where that is happening? I agree that it being late didn't help with the overall hype train it used to have and the state of the game will much more improved when the first few books are out, but to say that it's a fading star? I'm not so sure.

It will be Onyxpath's marketing departement that will need to buff up their PR and promo stuff when there will be enough books to promote it more. (The whole RPG industry is a niche market... so would it be a fading star.. in a fading star industry?)

It would have been great to have an additional book like a Storytellers Companion... that would have been cool but the issue is all of the other Exalted would have needed to be fleshed out and their system fully fleshed out before and that's an insane task. Exalted 1st, 2nd and 3rd is not a game just about Solars... it's a game of Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, Dragonblooded, Abyssals, Infernals, Alchamicals, Fair Folk, Mortals, Getimian and other surprise Exalted down the pipeline. The whole process creation is simply staggering not only can you play Solar Exalted, but all the other Exalted in the end.

This game is massive... and I find that after hearing John Morke on Exaltwitch I find that my confidence in him and Holden are pretty much good. I just wish the speed of the content would be quicker but you got to do.. what you got to do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Piff View Post
                      If the first page of topics in rpgnet is any indication... then yeah, Ex3 seems to not be a hot topic of conversation.

Join the Strife

Comment

• It still has some regular threads that come up and is abouta s active as many of hte other popular games in that regard. It's not the halcyon days of all th efront page being Exalted, but it's sitll there and discussed.

Additionally, it's still sitting at #6 on DTRPG's release list and was at #1 for a really, really long time, despite it being a game which had a lot of units already sold via preorders. And I think the other stuff in the Top 10 are mostly new things plus Mage: the Awakening 2e, which for a while was the only OPP to bump it off only for Exalted ot reassert itself again after a few weeks, and Vampire: the Masquerade 20A, which I guess holds with WW/OPP history of Exalted and Vampire bieng the two big dogs of the product lines.

And stuff.

And stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                          If the first page of topics in rpgnet is any indication... then yeah, Ex3 seems to not be a hot topic of conversation.
                          I count 4 threads in the first 5 pages, but I don't have any particular context for what indicates a "hot topic" on those boards. I'd say it barely seems like any single game is "hot" by that kind of metric.

Comment

• I think one of those threads is about Devil Tigers, which aren't a thing in Ex3.

Maybe there are still conversations, but the Ask the Developers thread hasn't seen much activity for a while. Well, maybe this is just my experience, but I get the idea that the discussion isn't as energetic as it was a year ago.

Join the Strife

Comment

I think one of those threads is about Devil Tigers, which aren't a thing in Ex3.

Maybe there are still conversations, but the Ask the Developers thread hasn't seen much activity for a while. Well, maybe this is just my experience, but I get the idea that the discussion isn't as energetic as it was a year ago.
                              Oh, I don't want to give the impression that I disagree! I just legitimately don't know what "hot" looks like over there.

Comment

Well, the ask the developers thread more or less stopped on release and people moved to the general exalted thread, which hit about 2 threads long. That being quite a metric since the threads were changed to be a max of.... 500? pages instead of 100? pages before they locked? Or something like that. There's also a read and compare thread going on over there totaling at 79 pages as of now and still going comparing all the previous exalted editions.

Anyway, point is the ask the developers thread was only really meant to last until release anyway, and so it's really not a good indicator of the health of the dicussions on rpg.net

Comment

Working...
                                X