Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corebook Rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yeah, if you look at what those topics on rpg.net are, they're a) a systematic cross comparison thread of the cores of each system, b) a request for how to best use a late 2e sub-splat, c) a zero commented thread about a posters new NPCs and d) a one commented thread about useful animal NPCs.

    Which isn't to say another other game is necessarily much "hotter".

    It doesn't really concern me too much because the main point of Exalted is (obviously) is to be played and there also just isn't much new stuff that hasn't been talked over a lot. I think it's potentially an indicator that not that many are playing if there aren't *that* many new people here asking new questions (and there aren't that many?), but the developers have always said there's a number of people who just don't want to interact online around Exalted. At all. So it could be that.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
      Oh, I don't want to give the impression that I disagree! I just legitimately don't know what "hot" looks like over there.
      No prob, I see your point.

      Originally posted by Chaoticag View Post
      Anyway, point is the ask the developers thread was only really meant to last until release anyway, and so it's really not a good indicator of the health of the dicussions on rpg.net
      Agreed.


      Join the Strife

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Blaque View Post
        It still has some regular threads that come up and is abouta s active as many of hte other popular games in that regard. It's not the halcyon days of all th efront page being Exalted, but it's sitll there and discussed.

        Additionally, it's still sitting at #6 on DTRPG's release list and was at #1 for a really, really long time, despite it being a game which had a lot of units already sold via preorders. And I think the other stuff in the Top 10 are mostly new things plus Mage: the Awakening 2e, which for a while was the only OPP to bump it off only for Exalted ot reassert itself again after a few weeks, and Vampire: the Masquerade 20A, which I guess holds with WW/OPP history of Exalted and Vampire bieng the two big dogs of the product lines.

        And stuff.
        I wonder if all those at-cost PoD copies backers got counted towards it's place on the DriveThru rankings? Because DriveThru was getting paid for them but my understanding was that OP wasn't seeing profit from them. No doubt it has been a success if your metric is only numbers produced, but I wonder how profitable EX3 has actually been for Onxypath so far in full price PoD sales, for that matter I wonder how profitable the kickstarter will end up being when you factor in the huge increase in shipping costs from Dec 2013 (the original delivery date) to now in 2017.

        Comment


        • Well, 4,000 ish pdfs were handed out when the game released due to kickstarter, driving it up to a best selling silver when it hit DTRPG. I think in about 3 days it hit double platinum and has still been in the top ten since release. I think it's safe to say yes, it likely made a profit as a line. I would also say that I don't think the kickstarter made a profit because the proceeds from the kickstarter were effectively the budget for the project from labor to materials.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

            I wonder if all those at-cost PoD copies backers got counted towards it's place on the DriveThru rankings? Because DriveThru was getting paid for them but my understanding was that OP wasn't seeing profit from them. No doubt it has been a success if your metric is only numbers produced, but I wonder how profitable EX3 has actually been for Onxypath so far in full price PoD sales, for that matter I wonder how profitable the kickstarter will end up being when you factor in the huge increase in shipping costs from Dec 2013 (the original delivery date) to now in 2017.
            My understanding is the at-cost books did count. That said, it going silver with that showed there was at least interest in having those books and sales when it went live and proceeded to platinum indicate that there is demand. I think Miracles of the Solar Exalted also went platinum fairly quickly, and that was entirely from PoD or new purchases from folks who didn't add it on during the KS.

            And stuff.


            And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Blaque View Post

              My understanding is the at-cost books did count. That said, it going silver with that showed there was at least interest in having those books and sales when it went live and proceeded to platinum indicate that there is demand. I think Miracles of the Solar Exalted also went platinum fairly quickly, and that was entirely from PoD or new purchases from folks who didn't add it on during the KS.

              And stuff.
              How many sales is Platinum? I can't seem to find that reference on DriveThru.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

                How many sales is Platinum? I can't seem to find that reference on DriveThru.
                I believe platinum is not a hard number, but that some precentange of sales in relation to the total on DTRPG. I would have to dig on it, but the total amount of platinum books in relation to the total amount of product on DTRPG indicates that it's easier said than done to get that at times.

                And stuff.


                And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                  ‚ÄčI take your point, but I would also hope that something the Realm book will provide is challenges based on the institutions of the Realm and the manners in which they have reshaped cultures into serving their purposes in a manner that is not immediately alleviated by driving their military forces away, especially when they take the form of having created a certain dependence on the Realm.
                  I would hope the same. Nothing is more boring than a pack of murder hobos ignoring the "normal" society around them because they think they are unstoppable unless something "worthy" reveals itself.

                  Traveling in a land built to hunt and destroy people like you should be challenging, even before other Exalts get involved (and of course they will need to).

                  Comment


                  • Huh. So this isn't a thread about rushing the enemy. Dang.

                    Okay, so I have done this spiel before, forgive me for the succinctness but - the Devs are dealing with the death of a family member, the damage that does to every single aspect of your life when an integral member of your household dies after almost a decade of battling cancer. That sort of thing doesn't just...go away (I saw her favourite chocolate today and had a stab of grief and I never met the woman, I just know her through the devs). That isn't even touching on things like money or other work or personal illness. Be kind, be understanding, and we are likely to work it out in the end. When every single preview I have seen has had at least three people calling it 'the end of the game line' or evidence of some enormous personal failing of the Devs, or inherently unbalanced (with nothing known about the system...), it gets difficult to justify why this is integral to the process.

                    So there's that.

                    Also the books aren't just single topic textbooks, they function as repositories of lore too. So it isn't just a matter of 'here is some dice stuff'. I know some of you want that but it isn't the only way people play the game. The Devs are serving all, not just the most vocal or the most angry or the most negative.

                    As for the game fandom - most of y'all are somewhere between awesome and good value. Others are less so. Including the lovely and somehow fondly remembered chap who threatened the Devs with rape. That was great. You wanna know why I am not the biggest participant? Because more than one of the 'positive' fans has expressed missing that guy, because even though he was a vile asshole he was 'fun'.

                    (I am a lady type on the internet, I often keep a low profile anyway)

                    And we have, unofficially and completely on my own personal time, tried the whole 'announcement from the Dev then I trawl through and find the actual questions and pass it on'. That was...well it wasn't fun for me! And unpaid! And unsurprisingly the fans who ask, for the fifteenth time, about Pet Peeve #64, don't actually accept anything as an answer. They aren't interested in an answer so much as a chance to talk at the Devs. And then there's the 'you answered but not the way I wanted' and it gets unwieldy.

                    And I have seen two sections I am writing held up as examples of AWFUL TERRIBLE BULLSHIT and SEE AT LEAST SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, by the same person in the same post. That was not fun either, although was kinda funny.

                    Sometimes the rule question is 'it depends' and nothing seems to shit people more than that. But it's true! It depends on the character and the situation and the dynamics of the table.

                    (But, personal updates are they are alive and got through the holiday season mostly unscathed, we chat most days and have a variety of projects going and I know Evocations in some fashion have been worked on this week.)


                    ". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

                    Comment


                    • Very happy to see work on evocations becauseeven now I'm somewhat unclear on how they differ from just being whatever kind of charm you want stuck to an artifact, kind of. I'm really looking forward to seeing more in arms, the ones in the corebook are cool and I can't imagine their dedicated book won't be even cooler. Although I am saddened to hear that it's still being written considering how much post writing work must be done before it's released, I don't mean to come off as too negative but it can feel like having a manned mission to mars pushed back another ten years because of budget cuts. I get why, but I can't help but feel bad that I'm waiting another decade to see the first manned interplanetary mission in human history.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                        Very happy to see work on evocations becauseeven now I'm somewhat unclear on how they differ from just being whatever kind of charm you want stuck to an artifact, kind of. I'm really looking forward to seeing more in arms, the ones in the corebook are cool and I can't imagine their dedicated book won't be even cooler. Although I am saddened to hear that it's still being written considering how much post writing work must be done before it's released, I don't mean to come off as too negative but it can feel like having a manned mission to mars pushed back another ten years because of budget cuts. I get why, but I can't help but feel bad that I'm waiting another decade to see the first manned interplanetary mission in human history.
                        Negative and oh my god man, the hyperbole.

                        Evocations in some form. It was likely for Arms (Holden mentioned it on twitter, for the curious). And yes, after the way 2016 went for them

                        (Redacted because I am tired of offering up personal trauma to plead for more humane treatment of the Devs and the writers, y'all can look it up if you want, I am not repeating myself)

                        Yeah, there are still things being written and rewritten and worked out.

                        It'll get there. I appreciate the excitement but this is the exact kind of negative reaction to one single sentence of update that makes me want to retreat to my mother's farm and raise cows.

                        (Note: last week I screamed and threw my phone across the room because there was a tiny spider on it and I once got trapped in my car because I am scared of cows, just to illustrate how not-lucy-suitable a cow farm hermitage is)
                        Last edited by Lucy Darling; 01-17-2017, 02:18 AM.


                        ". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

                        Comment


                        • Wait... you're scared of cows?

                          Why are cows scary?


                          Come and rock me Amadeus.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by hippokrene View Post
                            Wait... you're scared of cows?

                            Why are cows scary?
                            They are really big and the breed my mother raises have horns and they KNOW I have enjoyed their brethren on burgers. They just know.

                            Mostly just that they're really big and I am much squishier. And ma's cows are not scared of people at all and will have a go at the car if they get grumpy.


                            ". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

                            Comment


                            • So it isn't like my fear of spiders, I will pat nice cows and I think they're lovely animals. As long as they aren't staring at me through my car window and blocking the path to the house.


                              ". ... for me, the transformative power of art is you are not above the material." -= Guillermo del Toro

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lucy Darling View Post
                                Huh. So this isn't a thread about rushing the enemy. Dang.

                                Okay, so I have done this spiel before, forgive me for the succinctness but - the Devs are dealing with the death of a family member, the damage that does to every single aspect of your life when an integral member of your household dies after almost a decade of battling cancer. That sort of thing doesn't just...go away (I saw her favourite chocolate today and had a stab of grief and I never met the woman, I just know her through the devs). That isn't even touching on things like money or other work or personal illness. Be kind, be understanding, and we are likely to work it out in the end. When every single preview I have seen has had at least three people calling it 'the end of the game line' or evidence of some enormous personal failing of the Devs, or inherently unbalanced (with nothing known about the system...), it gets difficult to justify why this is integral to the process.

                                So there's that.

                                Also the books aren't just single topic textbooks, they function as repositories of lore too. So it isn't just a matter of 'here is some dice stuff'. I know some of you want that but it isn't the only way people play the game. The Devs are serving all, not just the most vocal or the most angry or the most negative.

                                As for the game fandom - most of y'all are somewhere between awesome and good value. Others are less so. Including the lovely and somehow fondly remembered chap who threatened the Devs with rape. That was great. You wanna know why I am not the biggest participant? Because more than one of the 'positive' fans has expressed missing that guy, because even though he was a vile asshole he was 'fun'.

                                (I am a lady type on the internet, I often keep a low profile anyway)

                                And we have, unofficially and completely on my own personal time, tried the whole 'announcement from the Dev then I trawl through and find the actual questions and pass it on'. That was...well it wasn't fun for me! And unpaid! And unsurprisingly the fans who ask, for the fifteenth time, about Pet Peeve #64, don't actually accept anything as an answer. They aren't interested in an answer so much as a chance to talk at the Devs. And then there's the 'you answered but not the way I wanted' and it gets unwieldy.

                                And I have seen two sections I am writing held up as examples of AWFUL TERRIBLE BULLSHIT and SEE AT LEAST SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, by the same person in the same post. That was not fun either, although was kinda funny.

                                Sometimes the rule question is 'it depends' and nothing seems to shit people more than that. But it's true! It depends on the character and the situation and the dynamics of the table.

                                (But, personal updates are they are alive and got through the holiday season mostly unscathed, we chat most days and have a variety of projects going and I know Evocations in some fashion have been worked on this week.)
                                I think most people on these forums are as respectful and sympathetic as anyone could be asked to be for someone most of us frankly don't really know. There has just been a LONG seeminly constant history of delays since the inception of EX3, and even if they were all for completely legitimate reasons, for a lot of us who are first and foremost connected to the game they get harder and harder to accept. I know how hard it is to balance illness, bereavement, and work, but it can be done, especially with a employer as supportive and flexible as Onyxpath seems to be.

                                I really hope that everything works out. That the Devs find some peace and balance and this gameline finds its feet and starts to grow, but I also honestly wonder if it wouldn't be better for EVERYONE if duties were moved around to help take some pressure off the Devs and move things along for us impatient jerks. I dont think it is wrong to give as much sympathy and understanding as you can out into the world while also hoping pragmatically that a buisness does what it can to serve your interests as a consumer.

                                It isn't fair when every person who has personal emotional investment in the gameline first is branded as completely uncaring or out of line. There has to be some recognition that this game does matter, its interests shouldn't be sacrificed to everything else, there has to be some balance struck. And maybe that balance really is as good as it is going to get, but from the outside looking in it really doesn't feel that way.
                                Last edited by SpruceStripedGoose; 01-17-2017, 02:57 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X