The Liminal Exalted: Clearing up my Mental Scratchspace for them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
    I think that the Dark Mother formed as the 'God' of the Underworld. During the First Age, she would have been slowly gaining power. By the end of the Second Age, she has enough power to start working against the Deathlords and the Abyssal Exalted. She opposes the Deathlords and the Abyssal Exalted because she fears their power could be turned against her. The Liminal Exalted would be her tools for disrupting the plans of the Deathlords and Abyssal Exalted.
    As far as we know, however, that's not the purpose the Liminals are tasked with - they're intended as wardens of the boundary between life and death, which typically involves dealing with the unquiet dead. Any purpose beyond that they have to find or make themselves.

At least as Hatewheel and Holden conceived them, Liminal-centred stories are inward-focused, looking at how the world affects them rather than vice versa.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

So I introduced a Liminal exalted into my game last night as an NPC - an errant knight archetype who lives and works near champoor, occasionally accepting commissions but otherwise just setting out to keep an eye on things.

At the time the PCs found the Liminal, he had been hacked to pieces and put into a longboat and set adrift. Once the PCs realised the head was still alive, they eventually attached bellows to the windpipe in order to let him try and talk, and by the end of the session when the Zenith caste-athletics strength-monster swam under a vessel that held a couple of undercover Imperial agents and split the ship in half by ripping it's keel out in one single motion, they grabbed the body of a drowned soldier, beheaded it, and gave their new accomplice a new body.

The second zenith in the group would periodically ask "Are we sure he's not evil?"

It was an amusing night.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

That is a surprisingly amusing bit about Liminals I don't consider to often. If horribly crippled you don't need medicine or time get them patched you just need someone you can decapitate without feeling bad about it.

Glad you had fun with it Typo.

Comment

The Liminal head of police my characters met was alarming. Mainly because he was made of one of their friends.
          ...They all kinda got used to him. I ran him like 'He Never Died's main character. A bit awkward but otherwise friendly. Often needed a new arm.

I made some MAs! PEACH: Red Locust Style, Emerald Wasp Style, Thunder on the Precipice Style

Comment

Just an odd quesion, but do we know how many Liminal Exalted exist? Is there a hard cap, like with the Celestial Exalted, or is the population more fluid, like with the Terrestrial Exalted?

Comment

Just an odd quesion, but do we know how many Liminal Exalted exist? Is there a hard cap, like with the Celestial Exalted, or is the population more fluid, like with the Terrestrial Exalted?
              I remember a dev mentioned something about it a while back. They don't have set numbers for how many can exist, but they never have a particularly massive population. Though I can't remember the numbers that were attached.

Comment

How many people try to use terrible magics to return life to that which is dead?

If there were a hundred or a thousand or unlimited Liminal Exaltations floating around, we'd never know, in all probability, because their catalyst is just plain uncommon.
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-30-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                  That is a surprisingly amusing bit about Liminals I don't consider to often. If horribly crippled you don't need medicine or time get them patched you just need someone you can decapitate without feeling bad about it.

Glad you had fun with it Typo.

It was fun, but it did also raise a question about the intersection of magic and science.

Liminal exalted can't be killed unless you destroy the brain, or drown them. But if they can survive being beheaded and clearly don't need to breathe... how can they drown? If the severed head of a liminal exalt can sit around on a shelf for 10 years (or in the case of my NPC, tell tales of spending a month using your lips to dig into a shallow grave in order to secure more parts) then how is water any danger to them? And now long does it take for a being that doesn't need to breathe to 'drown' under water?

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

I'm going with the idea that only a couple of doxen exist in all of creation. I'm assuming that the magic that creates them is rare, and the intervention of the dark mother is even rarer. I have no intention of my PCs meeting any more liminal beyond this one NPC.

Comment

I would think that the magic to create them is an Ambition 3 Celestial Sorcery Working. I doubt that creating them is an more difficult than creating a being as powerful as Second Circle Demon or a notable God. I would even suggest that it would be an Ambition 3 Terrestrial Sorcery Working because the intention is to create normal life, and it is only the interference of the Dark Mother that makes the results of the process powerful. If the former is true, than any Terrestrial Exalted Sorcerer could make them and, because of their immortality, they could exceed the numbers of the Celestial Exalted. If the latter is true, than any Mortal Sorcerer could make them and, because of their immortality, they could approach the numbers of the Terrestrial Exalted.

Comment

The impression I have is there isn't a fixed number, but it's obviously FAR FAR lower than the number of Dragon-Blooded or even Exigents.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I would even suggest that it would be an Ambition 3 Terrestrial Sorcery Working because the intention is to create normal lifeā€¦
                          Nooo, the intention is to give the dead life, which isn't even on the list of ambitions.

If the former is true, than any Terrestrial Exalted Sorcerer could make them and, because of their immortality, they could exceed the numbers of the Celestial Exalted. If the latter is true, than any Mortal Sorcerer could make them and, because of their immortality, they could approach the numbers of the Terrestrial Exalted.
                          This makes some weird assumptions about the numbers of sorcerers in the setting and their success-rates for workings.

Comment

The reason it is not on the list of the Ambitions is because it is impossible in Creation. Of course, Sorcerers would not know that and would just attempt the most likely working.

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

It was fun, but it did also raise a question about the intersection of magic and science.

Liminal exalted can't be killed unless you destroy the brain, or drown them. But if they can survive being beheaded and clearly don't need to breathe... how can they drown? If the severed head of a liminal exalt can sit around on a shelf for 10 years (or in the case of my NPC, tell tales of spending a month using your lips to dig into a shallow grave in order to secure more parts) then how is water any danger to them? And now long does it take for a being that doesn't need to breathe to 'drown' under water?
                              It's an interesting point, although not one that is going to get a lot of research due to scarcity of subjects and extreme rarity of the information required for a base hypothesis.
                              If it helps the original preview also mentioned that burning a Liminal's body to ash screwed with it's resurrection. I'm guessing that's because there it says a Liminal needs to use either it's own body to resurrect or at least a body mostly it's own.

My personal hypothesis is that the flames of exaltation and a Liminal's soul/life force are more directly connected as they're all the same thing. As they are also beings originating from death gives them a modified and strange connection to Lethe. Consequently a sufficient amount of water may actually function as dumping a bucket of water on a Liminal's exaltation the same way as it would end a campfire.

Of course that's all conjecture based off very scarce information and metaphysics I barely have a grasp on. (You know basically talking out of my ass.) I mean it could just as easily be that Liminals are like those trick candles you need to spray to put out, that the Dark Mother has serious issues with water and that get's passed down as a weakness to her creations, that the Dark Mother has great power over water and it's a failsafe in case she needs to destroy them, or just that it does too much damage to the body in so many places that the body no longer counts as containing the proper amount of the Liminal's own body to resurrect itself.

Comment

Water and oceans seem to be a much more important element in the Underworld in 3rd edition than in previous ones. Maybe that has something to do with the Liminals weakness?

Comment

Working...
                                X