Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Poison a viable tactic in Exalted 3rd edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to know what happens when a target is subject to multiple different poisons, since the corebook says nothing on the subject.
    It does say that multiple instances of the same poison stack in duration, but I have no idea how that could be applied to different poisons with different stats.

Comment

Well, two possible answers:

They stack. Poison stacking sounds very scary!

They stack duration. So the most debilitating effect is maintained but its duration is longer. Seems fiddly to me.

I suspect the former is true, but that's just my gut.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        Well, two possible answers:

They stack. Poison stacking sounds very scary!

They stack duration. So the most debilitating effect is maintained but its duration is longer. Seems fiddly to me.

I suspect the former is true, but that's just my gut.
        I recall...Holden, I think, talking about a character using Evocations to store poisons and them pass them along having their weapon taken from them and thus having to check against all those poisons. I'll see if I can find it, because I don't remember the details and there might be at least hints of dev intent there.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

It wouldn'the make much sense to me if doses of the same poison stack duration, but different poisons stack efficacy. Then you get into weirdness about how different two poisons are; is being bitten by a coral snake and then a rattlesnake really handled differently from being bitten by a coral snake and then being hit by an arrow frog envenomed arrow? Or just being bitten by a coral snake twice?

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post

I recall...Holden, I think, talking about a character using Evocations to store poisons and them pass them along having their weapon taken from them and thus having to check against all those poisons. I'll see if I can find it, because I don't remember the details and there might be at least hints of dev intent there.
            He was talking about a pre-release version of Spring Razor, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
              It wouldn'the make much sense to me if doses of the same poison stack duration, but different poisons stack efficacy. Then you get into weirdness about how different two poisons are; is being bitten by a coral snake and then a rattlesnake really handled differently from being bitten by a coral snake and then being hit by an arrow frog envenomed arrow? Or just being bitten by a coral snake twice?

Under the assumption that one is "Heart-stoppingly toxic" and another is "muscle-spasmingly inconvenient" then yeah, it makes sense to me to track them separately. Unless the more dangerous one supersedes the weaker one, but then do you just ignore the weaker one entirely? If Lock-Joint poison lasts a day and Heart Stab only lasts one minute, can I poison myself with Heart Stab to "shake off" Lock-Joint? If two poisons are similar enough, I could Coral Snake proof myself by "only" getting rattlesnaked. Exalted, to me, deals more with "magnitudes" than DnD, so "mundane snake venom" is as uniform as different arrow heads. Snake Venom, Bile of the Eldritch Jellyfish, and Soul Rot Spores, on the other hand...

But yeah, I agree with you. Same (general) source, same effect. Presumably the poisoner is making these poisons, so they should have a bunch of different strengths around.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Send me a Japanese Translation request and I'll do it for you, anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

On Nishkriya archiving a post on this forum, Vance has said WDC is good to go with Black Claw.

http://nishkriya.com/Threads/Details/9728

I would also allow practice of Black Claw with WDC.

Exalted co-developer.
                Currently Developing: Arms of the Chosen, The Realm, Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought
                --
                Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
                Follow my Exalted ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post

Would you please explain this a bit? Because it seems like the giant claws made of thorns and brambles would undermine the attempt to act fragile and innocent, so I don't really get how that works.
                  Last edited by BrilliantRain; 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Would you please explain this a bit? Because it seems like the giant claws made of thorns and brambles would undermine the attempt to act fragile and innocent, so I don't really get how that works.

If we go with that precedent though you limit vastly who can use the style, I mean so muscular beardy drifters can't use it then? It would only be able to be comboed with subtle styles like White Veil and Dreaming Pearl Courtesan then? Being intimidating is relative, I believe the emphasis is on your actions rather their your appearance as the style itself handles making you seem innocent.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post

Ah, something to add to Nishkriya then.

Also, on WDC making you not look innocent/harmless, well, depends who you are fighting, doesn't it? If you are up against Joe Earth Aspect Shikari with his thousand year goremaul and white jade plated armor that ten men can't carry, and you have WDC, you still look like you're going to be pulped.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Also, on WDC making you not look innocent/harmless, well, depends who you are fighting, doesn't it? If you are up against Joe Earth Aspect Shikari with his thousand year goremaul and white jade plated armor that ten men can't carry, and you have WDC, you still look like you're going to be pulped.
                        But you don't look harmless because your hand are giant murderclaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post

But even if you didn't have that and you were a demon that knows you could have horns, or a Solar that knows it that is filled with scars and has a Dawn Anima banner, Dragon claws are relative, people will just view it as your hands.

Otherwise you are saying only what shoujo schoolgirls and hookers can learn it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                            It might, to a certain extent, but not nearly as much as, say, displaying a Solar Anima would.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post

It's worth noting that "giant murderclaws" are the base form, but the second of their powers describes how they can be molded to pretty much any size, shape or form. Being natural weapons and so malleable to boot would make them trivial to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Stealing Scholar View Post

It's worth noting that "giant murderclaws" are the base form, but the second of their powers describes how they can be molded to pretty much any size, shape or form. Being natural weapons and so malleable to boot would make them trivial to hide.

Exactly I have a lot of these sorcerers display a thorny rose motiff, and that seems fitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X