Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Exaltations change caste between incarnations

Like it says in the title

In 2e the indication was that exaltations kept caste between hosts. That said as far as 3rd goes a lot of the mechanical details we had for how an exaltation actually works are not going to be covered and I've never seen anything game breaking about the idea of a solar having another exalt caste as a prior memory.

Comment

I've always assumed that they didn't... not sure if there is an official stance that is made clearly, but it is at least implied in all of the art through various products that show the first age incarnations of characters and their second age incarnations which have matching castes

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

In 2E, that caste was I believe supposed to be fixed. There were 60 exaltations of each solar caste, and they kept their caste through each of their incarnations.
        3E in general appears to be moving away a little from exaltations being a string of incarnations, in order to put a greater emphasis on who a given character is in this life, and so says less about previous lives than 2E did.

That all said, it's your game and your characters. If you feel there is an interesting story behind an exaltation changing castes, go for it. (And if there isn't, there's likely little reason to even worry about details like that).

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Lunar Exaltations do. Lunar castes are not fixed until some time after exaltation. The lore has it that this is an exception that existed prior to loosing access to three of the castes during the usurpation.

​Sidereal, Solar, Abyssal, and Infernal castes appear fixed between excarnations, and Autochthonian too. Possibly also Getimian. But there's nothing too game breaking about mixing it up. Though Sidereals should be fated to be what they will be.

​Dragonblooded exaltations don't work on the same inheritance system.

​Most Exigent are oneshot excarnations, as possibly are Liminal.

Who knows how the other exaltations work.
          Last edited by Greyman; 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Adding into what Greyman said, most exigents probably don't even have castes since most are basically an exalt type unto themselves.

Comment

In both First and Second Editions, the Solar Exalted (and Sidereal Exalted) kept the same castes between Exaltations - or at least every example we had of people inheriting Exaltations involved the new Exalt sharing the same caste with the old one. The exception, of course, was Lunar Exalted who needed to artificially fix their castes.

We don't know if it will be like that in 3rd edition or not, and we most likely won't be getting an official answer for quite awhile. In the meantime, you're free to break from the old canon if you want Exaltations to change castes between incarnations.

Comment

Originally posted by BjornTheFellhanded View Post
                3E in general appears to be moving away a little from exaltations being a string of incarnations, in order to put a greater emphasis on who a given character is in this life, and so says less about previous lives than 2E did.
                ​Was there not an extended discussion of past lives in Miracles of the Solar Exalted?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

In First and Second Edition, this was either canon or heavily-implied-to-be-canon for everyone but the Lunars. I'm not sure what the devs think, but I'm personally not a fan.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    In First and Second Edition, this was either canon or heavily-implied-to-be-canon for everyone but the Lunars. I'm not sure what the devs think, but I'm personally not a fan.

To be brutally honest, why change this?

One thing that immediately jumped to my mind is how, as a Celestial, sometimes you can have flashes of insight based on your past life. Exalting as a similar style of Solar with the same caste allows you to access memories of your previous self that might help you out in the present. If I am a Dawn Caste, memories of sashaying around a First Age Ballroom as an Eclipse are not going to help me remember ancient fighting styles that haven't been seen since the dawn of history.

Mutability, as you said, is a Lunar thing.

Just my 2¢.

My Map of Third Edition Creation in a First Edition Style

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                      Was there not an extended discussion of past lives in Miracles of the Solar Exalted?
                      There was a page rambling between (1) insisting that the solar only inherits a legacy of the past bearers of the exaltation, and (2) using language that implies that the solar is actually the same solar reborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Was there not an extended discussion of past lives in Miracles of the Solar Exalted?
                        For a given value of 'extended', yes. I still feel that the overall direction of 3E was one away from ancient history defining every character in the present time of the setting.

I thank the Devs for the great game of Exalted!

Comment

Honestly I don't think it really matters - a player character will always have whatever Exaltation is appropriate to his character. And the powers bestowed by an Exaltation (thanks to Favored Abilities) are broad enough that you can easily describe your previous incarnation as doing anything.

Maybe your new character is a badass Dawn Warrior - you want your previous incarnation to be a scholarly Sorcerer - that's not a problem, just say your previous incarnation was a Dawn who focused more on war tactics and favored Occult and Lore.

I mean, I've been playing Exalted for a decade and a half, and I've never come across a situation where someone's character concept would be completely wrecked if their Eclipse Caste hadn't been a Zenith Caste in their previous incarnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            Agreed. I don't really think it matters what caste the last holder was, unless you're really intent on maintaining a continuous inheritance of mostly-similar people getting the same exaltation. Other than the historical aspect of it, I can see little difference that would make to the game lore, and no difference at all to the gameplay.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kashi View Post
                              To be brutally honest, why change this?
                              Keeping in mind that I am not someone who could make that call, and thus my opinions matter very little—

1) On a notional level, I dislike the idea that a person could do something awesome and heroic, but miss out on earning their Exaltation because there aren't any of the appropriate Caste available (I'm okay with a "whiff" if all the Exaltations are currently incarnated). Making Exaltations take on the caste that best fits their inheritor is one (of multiple) ways to fix that.

2) Opens up more room for players when they're coming up with their past incarnations, which is something my groups have had fun with. There's nothing wrong with the Dawn Caste who draws on the memories and skill of a bunch of her past Dawn incarnations, but concepts like a Solar with multiple past lives of different castes advising her or the first Eclipse in a long line of Dawns fire up my imagination.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                              X