The Shimada brothers as Solars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shimada brothers as Solars

So, I was watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ09xdxzIJQ again, and it struck me that both Hanzo and Genji from Overwatch would make really quite good Solar exalted. If one was to re-format the technological abilities - Genji's armour and sword, Hanzo's bow - as Artifacts and the 'Dragon' abilities as Evocations, they would fit pretty damn well. Genji would definitely be a Night caste while I'd imagine that Hanzo would be either Night or Dawn caste. I'm not sure.

​What do people think?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Oh yeah, Overwatch just screams Exalted to my biased Sensibilities. For the sake of things I would wager Hanzo is Night, and Genji is Dawn.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Hanzo: Dawn Caste (fite me), Archery Supernal. Athletics (specialty: Climb), Dodge.
      Genji: Night Caste, Athletics Supernal. Thrown (Specialty: While Running), Dodge.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Interesting that the first two votes exactly swapped the caste concepts for the characters.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
          Interesting that the first two votes exactly swapped the caste concepts for the characters.
          I thought so too.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

I will NEVER turn down the chance to adapt Overwatch characters.

Also, a little Overwatch thing that amuses me... Almost the entire cast has some kind of Sciency Bullshit Powers that probably have in-universe Sciency explanations. Mercy's Healstick is projecting medical nanotechnology whatsits, Zenyatta is a robot with jacked up tech, McCree has amazing gun skills, D.Va has her MEKA...

Then you have the Shimada Brothers, who have Tricky Ninja Skills. And their Dragons, which don't seem to have an attempt at Science Explanation. Just "Eh, they can fire magical dragons. Don't ask questions."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Personally, my overall reaction to the Dragons short was probably, well, that they're Dragonblooded.

Really, when you consider the base story is "Older Responsible Brother is called on by family to get Younger Irresponsible Brother to shape up, duels him to the near death, only for Younger Brother to come back having barely survived and take revenge on his family after Older Brother leaves it in shame", that sounds like Dynastic power struggles to me.

It can work for Solars too, because Solars work for a shit load of stuff. But my first thought was Dynastic DBs.

Comment

I'd have gone for Dragon-Blooded as well, but if I were going to make them Celestial Exalted, I'd make Genji an Infernal.

He was a great warrior who was so horribly injured/mutilated that Mercy had to remake his body. He then wandered the world, always feeling an outcaste, until he met Zenyatta.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                  Both are variants on the ninja theme*, but since you have to be a Dawn Caste to supernal archery I made Hanzo a Dawn. in 2.5e he'd basically be Harmonius Jade (Night), but the combat-supernals change was the best decision of 3 in my opinion. Genji uses Shurikens, but since his ultimate ability is sword based I thought it would be more interesting to emphasize his movement skills over his combat ones. In 2.5, I'd have probably called him an Alchemical and been done with it. Both are ninjas, but of the two Hanzo has more "warrior" in him, to me. Muscles, yakuza tattoo, samurai inspired look. In contrast, Genji went the cyborg ninja route; see: Cyborg Ninja (MGS), Raiden (MGS), Adam Jensen (Deus Ex), stealth focused Razor Boys (Shadowrun), etc.

I can see the DB angle, that works well too.

*Trivia: they started as one character, but the devs thought they were going in too many directions trying to pull off ninja swordsman, so they split the concept into two brothers.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Working...
                  X