No announcement yet.

Creation as a globe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Related question, has anyone ever "rounded off" the edges of the map or do people just accept that Creation is perfectly rectangular?

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
      Related question, has anyone ever &quot;rounded off&quot; the edges of the map or do people just accept that Creation is perfectly rectangular?
      Generally I get the sense that the edges of the map extend beyond the borders of the cartographer's map, and that it "frays" out there. It also might sooner fray while taking artistic license to firm it up, which does present the opportunity to put Wyld stuff at the edges.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
        It also might sooner fray while taking artistic license to firm it up, which does present the opportunity to put Wyld stuff at the edges.
        Especially in the West, which has had more Wyld activity in all three editions.

​(In my game I've situated some bordermarches only a few dozen miles from the western edge of the Neck, making the other tribes far more suspicious of the ancestry of the Smaragdi, many of whom reside on the westernmost island, Petraya.

Comment

From Vancouver's North Shore, on a clear day it's possible to see Mount Hood, a distance of roughly 650 km (400 miles). The Imperial Mountain being potentially visible from anywhere in Creation is perfectly plausible to me.

Comment

Wouldn't making Creation a globe remove the "need" for the Elemental Poles?

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post
              Why would it being a sphere suddenly mean it doesn't need something stabilizing it against dissolution? If I throw a ball of steel into an acid bath, it's still gonna get eaten by acid, it just will take longer than sheet metal would.

Comment

One potential issue is that there's no objective eastern or westernmost point on a sphere, which would make poles of that odd. It also has things where it actually in a way shirks some areas of the map, since you can't have distances like from the far West to the far East without adding a lot of superfluous water I guess. Creation also doesn't really run in such a way that it's the equator where things get hotter or colder, but is instead the median line.

There's a lot to the logic of spherical worlds that gets a bit odd in how Creation is set that just turning it into a sphere makes odd. When it comes to preferences, I find it at least interesting that a lot of fantasy settings are more or less Copernican heliocentric ones. Creation kind of stands out for being more or less "geocentric" and not-spherical in teh vast range of published fantasy settings as I gather.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

Originally posted by WaywardPaladin View Post

That would be an interesting setting. A globe, but with a ring of weirdness around it, such as the Wyld. You go in and can come out the other side to the rest of the globe, but the amount of time it takes is seemingly arbitrary, and what you encounter while doing so random.

You could even have Wyld shaping, all that land added would just increase the size of the globe of "known" but there would still be an indeterminate ring of weirdness. Of course, if you consider the constantly increasing mass of the planet and what that would mean for its gravity...
                  Or perhaps it hits Wyld pockets along its orbit around the sun of this theoretical more Earth-like setup?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Why would it being a sphere suddenly mean it doesn't need something stabilizing it against dissolution? If I throw a ball of steel into an acid bath, it's still gonna get eaten by acid, it just will take longer than sheet metal would.

Because it doesn't have outer borders, so where would those poles holding back the chaos be?

The First Age Solar previous life I used in a game wanted to turn Creation in a sphere fully enclosed withing the Dome of Heaven as an encircling sphere specifically to shut the Wyld out entirely.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Because it doesn't have outer borders, so where would those poles holding back the chaos be?
                      North and South seem like a good place to start.

​The magnetic field of the actual Earth, which is the basis for us describing it as having poles in the first place, protects us from harmful Solar radiation.

​I don't think it's hard to render something analogous for the cosmology of Creation.

​After all, the Earth is a sphere (approximately), and yet we still consider it to have certain boundaries. They consist of a slightly larger sphere surrounding the Earth.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So in this hypothetical is one of spherical Creation's axial poles not icey tundra?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Possibly.

​Alternatively, there could be two poles per Element; north and south for Air, with Fire, Wood and Water being situated around the equator (two major oceans, deserts and areas of major growth, situated opposite from each other), while Earth is basically just the crust in general.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Regarding the elemental poles i swichted Them With layers for My modern shard creation.

Lowest layers was fire (earth core, i Called it the pyrosphere)
                            Next is earth (geosphere ), then water (hydrosphere), then Wood (biosphere ) and at last air ( atmossphere)

The wyld where space and fair folk Aliens.

That is My two cents

Comment

Originally posted by Boston123 View Post

It would mean that the Fair Folk invade on barques launched from the distant Chaos Stars. They would generally be held at bay by the stabilizing forces of the elemental moons, I'd think.

Of course, that kind of steps all over Luna.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden View Post

It would mean that the Fair Folk invade on barques launched from the distant Chaos Stars. They would generally be held at bay by the stabilizing forces of the elemental moons, I'd think.

Of course, that kind of steps all over Luna.

Elemental Rings

Comment

Working...
                                X